Seeking Titanic scarce editions

S

smolony

Lonely sea-heart here, seeking the following books:

HOME FROM THE SEA - Rostron 1931
TITANIC AND OTHER SHIPS - Lightoller 1935
1913 TRUTH ABOUT TITANIC - Gracie
1912 SINKING OF THE TITANIC - Beesley

Reasonable prices afforded... books given a good Titanic home. Well, you never know. Fishing.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Senan:
I've got an extra copy of "The Sinking of the Titanic and Great Sea Disasters". It's the one edited by Logan Marshall and copyrighted by L.T. Myers, and is a 1912 first edition. Don't think this is what you're looking for, but it does include "Thrilling Account by L. Beasley" (spelling by Marshall). I'll trade it for a first edition of your book autographed by you and Phil.
mikeherbold@hotmail.com

S

smolony

I should have said "Loss of the SS Titanic" by Beesley. I knew I would get picked up on that.

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Dear Senan,

I was going to say something but I thought I'd be nice.
However, while we're on the subject, to any and all, I'm looking for a reasonably priced 1929 copy of "The Loss of the SS Titanic". Can be either hard cover or paperback.

Best regards,
Pat Cook

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hi Senan,

It is always worth trying bookfinder

www.bookfinder.com

At my first attempt, a few months ago, I located Lightoller AND Rostron. Unfortunately when I contacted the sellers they had already been sold.

Phil

S

smolony

I know, Phil, I know - bookfinder, Bibliophile, ABE. You can find 'em - but they've been sold.
It somehow reminds me of John Wayne's remark to the rookie Captain who thought he saw Apaches from the fort.

Wayne: "Sir, if you can see 'em - they ain't Apache."

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
Some of these editions are available at alibris{http://www.alibris.com}. However, they're very expensive. For example, Lawrence Beasley's "Loss of the S.S. Titanic," depending on its condition, retails for between $369 and $562. Gracie's "The Truth About Chickamauga," for between $120 and $240. Recently published editions are cheap: Beasley's book for $12, and Gracie's "Titanic: A Survivor's Story," $12. Rostron's, Lightoller's and original editions of Gracie's "Titanic" book," were not presently listed. If you're really interested in getting these, and willing to pay the price, you may contact aliabris and see if they can dig them up for you. Good luck!

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hi, Joe,

Thanks for you note. While I can't speak for the others, I have been to Alibris, Advanced Book Exchange, Bibliophile and Bookfinder. I got my '79 Beesley from Bookfinder, in fact. The '29 that's still listed there (unless it's been removed) has been sold - went out the day it was posted according to the seller. That's why I thought I would post a note here.

Best regards,
Cook

L

Lucy

I would suggest checking www.ebay.com (online auction) for older Titanic books...make sure in the query search you type Titanic 1912 ...If you don't, and leave off the 1912 you will get all the movie stuff offered for sale on there (probably over 2,000 items).

I have seen all the above mentioned books listed for sale on there...

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Hi, Lucy,

I should've added Ebay to my list of sites I check regularly (and Molony does as well, I don't think he'll mind my mentioning that.) In fact, I have purchased many of my 1912 book collection on Ebay.
Appreciate your advice, just the same.

Best regards,
Cook

fiona

Aug 10, 2010
Senan wrote: Lonely sea-heart here, seeking the following books: ...
Yes, mate, and aren't we all. ;-)

Joe’s post didn’t cover why Alibris is so ‘pricey’: it is a book finding service. Using Alibris cuts out a lot of potential messing about with bookshop owners and their idiosyncratic payment methodologies, but you do get to pay for this. Alibris lists some books covered by other book search engines (check the book descriptions if you don’t believe me) so it’s always worth checking elsewhere before committing yourself to the Alibris service fee. Personally, I prefer the thrill of the hunt.

Sen and Cook: you both refer to Bibliophile. Is this the UK site or perhaps (the excitement builds) a site I don’t know about?

My apologies if I have intruded but how could I resist a thread on book finding? And I do know a bit about it, except exactly where to get really cheap Lightollers and Rostrons, of course...

Regards, F

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Dear Fi,

Whoops! Misnomer on my part. The actual site is called Bibliofind, located at:

www.bibliofind.com

It lists pretty much the same as the others, tho' the prices differ a bit in some cases.

Warmest regards,
Cook

fiona

Aug 10, 2010
Ta muchly Cook,

Am already a trawler through Bibilofind. But Bibliophile is starting to pick up a bit - nearly 50 Titanic related listings last night, just nothing particularly interesting.

Cheers, F

M

Mark Bray

Does anyone have any extra copies of books....like two copies that they would trade with someone with the same problems...there are a couple of books(recent books....not from 1912 or anything) that I have to copies of that I would love to trade with someone willing.....

Mark Bray :)

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
Okay guys . . .

There's an original edition of Charles Lightoller's "Titanic and Other Ships" on Ebay. Get your checkbooks out, too, the opening bid is $75.00!

N

Nige

All those wonderful old first editions!!
And I thought I was so lucky when I picked up a copy of "Last Dinner On The Titanic", a first edition and signed by Rick Archbold!
(Purchased from Chapters in Ajax, Ontario,Canada, whilst on Holiday over the millenium.)

Puts my book into perspective really !!!!
Nigel Hampson

R

Rob Harris

Just in case some of you haven't had a chance to read it: "Lights- the oddyssey of C.H. Lightoller" by Patrick Stenson is a great read. Talk about an amazing life lived at sea...I'm not sure if it's in print anymore- but if anyone knows of an extra copy- please let me know...I was lucky enough to leave high school with a copy from our library...not stolen mind you- but was given to me by the librarian because of my persistence :)...but I could use an extra copy as a gift...thanks!
Rob Harris

S

Scott Blair

Rob

The Lightoller book has been
republished as:-

"Titanic Voyager-The Odyssey of C.H.
Lightoller"

I got it in a mainstream bookshop here in
Scotland last year.

I think you can get it through the
Titanic Historical Society as well.
Check out their website for their
product list.You might be able to
get one from the publishers who
are called Halsgrove.Get them on

www.halsgrove.com

I agree with you.Itis a great story.

Scott Blair

Senan Molony

Jan 30, 2004
Dublin
Reprints Schmeeprints...
We should make this a self-help group for First Edition hunters. The Goodluck Hunting club. Anyone who scores a success can declare it here to encourage those others of us on financial "diets" and unable to pay monstrous fees.
Out of pure luck I recently came across a particular First Edition for just £13. I will not mention its name to avoid unwanted offers as a refusal often offends. And I'm also on a promise for "Titanic and Other Ships" Bay Tree edition.
At least I've sent the money away to the geezer.
...that's the last you'll hear of it, sez you. Mind you, one 1912 book I bought eventually arrived from America after six months. It had been returned to sender, even tho' correctly addressed. Bizarre or what?
I pledge to come here and euphorically pronounce my joy if said Lightoller should ever come into my hot little hands.