Senan Molony's New Research Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Hi All,

Is anyone else having problems viewing Senan Molony's new PDF documents. As far as I am aware the new research came onto the site yesterday (15th). I try to always read the new research ASAP, "Ryans Son" opened no probs, but when I tried to open "Ryan v OSNC" - nothing. My modem was sending and receiving, I left it running for a few minutes but the PDF page did nor appear. This happened yesterday and today, anyone got any suggestions?

Best Wishes and Rgds

Dennis

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Dennis,

I just tried opening Senan's article. It worked okay for me.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Hi Jason,

Thanks for that, tried again, first one worked OK.
But again "Ryan v OSNC" would not work. Same result MODEM working overtime, but nothing on screen. Don't like to leave it running too long - don't know what's coming in - or, even worse what's going out. I don't understand this, all other research papers are working OK (I say all, I've checked a random selection.).

Anyway thanks muchly for the quick reply -

Best Wishes and Rgds

Dennis

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I second Michael's remarks about pdf. To my mind, it's a poor substitute for html in the sort of applications seen on ET. I've not even bothered to download Bill Wormstedt's work. I'm sure it's good stuff, but I'm not prepared to spend the time on downloading it. When the article is likely to be of little worth, there's no incentive at all.

How about considering it again, Phil?

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
PDFs protect the author's work and enable the item to be printed as intended and more easily distributed.

Many of these items are really too long to do as HTML and much harder to mark-up. Still I would be interested to hear more views on the matter.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Phil, all I can say is that from a users point of view, it's a pain in the aft end to deal with. Sometimes, the articles open up for me with no problem and sometimes, the whole thing freezes up for no readily explainable reason. I can see where it would protect an authors work as I've never been able to cut and paste a quote from any portion of a PDF document, but then as often as not, I've never been able to open it either.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Phil, all I can say is that from a users point of view, it's a pain in the aft end to deal with.

Well, one user's view though others may concur.

Admittedly the inquiry article is long... 50 pages. This might be what is causing the problems.

Are you opening it in you browser i.e. just clicking on the link or saving it first and then opening it in the Acrobat Reader? What version of Acrobat are you using?

Mar 18, 2000
Dave G. or anyone else interested in my long article "The Facts - What did the Survivors See of the Breakup of the Titanic".

If you're having problems with the PDF version here, drop me an email, and I'll be glad to foward you another format of the article. I've got it in Word, but I can easily reformat to something else.

Mar 20, 2000
Hi, all:

I still have Adobe 5.0 but have had no major problems in a while. I generally save the document to my desktop and open it from there as it prevents the likelihood of a freeze-up.

Although, like Michael, I have had trouble in the past with PDFs, I think Phil's right that the format is best for the purpose of safeguarding a document online.

I will check out Paul's suggestion of updating to Adobe 6.0 and see if it helps.

Randy

Dennis Smith

Aug 24, 2002
Hi Everybody,

First thanks very much for the raft of replies.

Phil,
I tried right clicking and saving - works Ok - Thanks, hadn't thought of that, I've always opened the docs in my browser, DUH!!!

Paul,

Thanks for the link, now have Adobe Acrobat Reader 6 on my system.

Bill,

Never had any probs with any other docs. Thanks anyway.

Thanks for your help guys

Best Wishes and Rgds

Dennis

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Phil, I have the latest and greatest version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader. I've been opening the thing on my browser and that may well be at the core of the trouble. I'll try it your way and see what happens.

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
I despise PDF format and the Adobe Acrobat Reader as well. It's clumsy and awkward to use, even though I understand the reasons why articles are being presented in that format.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
One of the the problems with pdf is that it's hungry for system memory. I find that an attempt to open a pdf document, especially in a browser, is more likely to fail or worse still freeze the browser when there are several other programmes running or at the end of a long period of use, when system resources are in short supply.

Michael, in order to copy and paste text from a pdf document you need first to put the reader into 'text select mode'. Look for the 'T' icon on the button bar at the top of the window. The only effective way to prevent the copying of text from a web page is to present it onscreen not as text at all, but as a graphic.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Bob, I went ahead and tried it the way Phil suggested and it's working just fine. I've encountered some of the same problems you have when trying to use the browser to open the thing up.

I'll keep what you said in mind if I want to cut and paste. I prefer to do verbatim quotes when citing any source.

Status
Not open for further replies.