Senan's New Book on the Mount Temple

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
This just arrived from titanicbooks.com, and I was a bit surprised as to its size...its a thin pamphet, but full of newspaper reproductions of "incriminating" evidence against the Mount Temple. I'm still weighing up its contents, but it does seem a shame that no attempt was made to trace the descendants of the witnesses; they might have been told something by the witnesses. After all, Leslie Reade managed to trace the families of two additional witnesses on the Californian.

Best wishes

Paul

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
I haven't read it yet, but am looking forward to its arrival! Are you sure that no attempt was made to trace the descendants of the witnesses, Paul? Sen has worked to that end in the past, and I would be surprised if he didn't try. Reade was researching in the 60s, closer to the actual events, when it was an easier matter...tracing families isn't always possible (I tried to do so with a family mentioned in Marcus, who also did his work in the 60s, but have yet to locate them).

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I don't know for sure, Inger! It just looks to me like no attempt to trace them was made. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this, since you know Senan.

Best wishes

Paul

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I think it would be problematic to say that no effort was made to trace some people's decendants based soley on the contents of a single book. Anyone who's read The Irish Aboard Titanic would know that Senan is very good at this sort of thing. What they often don't know is that it often takes years of following up some very shaky leads to find even the most sketchy information. When I met Senan at the first Titanic Dinner that Phil Gowan held, I asked him about how long it took him to research all that, and IIRC, the number he gave me was on the order of 7 years.

Considering the scope of the book, that he managed to get something...anything...on literally hundreds of obscure people is an amazing accomplishment, but even the relentless Senan can't find everybody. Especially people who had little interest in posterity, left little or nothing behind for it's sake, and who just wanted to go about their lives unmolested.

Even Senan can't get past this sort of indifference.
smoke.gif

Nov 12, 2000
Paul wrote: This just arrived from titanicbooks.com, and I was a bit surprised as to its size...its a thin pamphet, but full of newspaper reproductions of "incriminating" evidence against the Mount Temple.

Paul, I'm not sure why you were surprised. on the bookstore page of my site this item is clearly described as a slender booklet with 44 pages (including covers). I also pointed out in my description that the material includes photocopies of original newspaper articles.

I try very hard to describe everything on the website accurately, and am concerned if you felt you were mislead about what this book contained.

please feel free to contact me privately if you would like to discuss this further.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Jan 28, 2003
How does Senan pronounce his name? Is it She-nan? I always have trouble with pronouncing Irish names, and I don't like to get it wrong.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
It's Sen-nan, Monica - he often gets 'She-nan', thanks to 'Sean' and 'Seamus'. The glories of Gael. He's also been dubbed 'Seamus O'Maloney', thanks to the chronic mauling of his name.

He does like to remind us from time to time that he's named after a Saint. Hrm...

I'll ask him, Paul - I remember he went to some lengths tracing crew details from 1912 and later, and I did a few follow throughs for him a little while back to establish information on crewmen. He was very unlucky with one document I tried to trace for him - it was supposed to be out at the PRO according to one early version of the catalogue, but when I ordered up the bundles of documents and checked the electronic catalogue, it has apparently gone missing. I hope it's just astray or an error, and not on the missing list because someone pilfered it from the archives.

Jan 28, 2003
A saint, eh? Well, so many of us must be. I read somewhere that the present Pope has canonised more people than any of his predecessors, which is a bit unexpected in this day and age, though I may have got that a bit wrong. I forget what St. Monica did - something gloomy to do with sacrifice and self-denial I dare say, and unfortunately I fail to follow her excellent example.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi Inger,
I've actually been in touch with Senan via email today, and I must say he came across as a perfect gentleman and very approachable!

Best wishes

Paul

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Good stuff, Paul - that's my experience as well. I think I may have a message for you that I needed to cull out of an email query he responded to, but it sounds like you're in touch anyway (I've been behind in my personal emails, for a reason I'll explain when I write to you).

At least you won't be sending him an 'Oi' message in deepest darkest Africa now, Geoff, come the BTS convention...!

Monica, I picked St Irmina for my confirmation...it was a narrow pick between her and St Cleopatra. A bit of a stand-out among the St Theresas and St Catherines in our little Parochial church...

John Flood

Mar 1, 2004
Hi Folks,

Can Senan's "Mount Temple" book be bought in bookshops, or does it have to be bought through a website?

All the Best,
John.

John Flood

Mar 1, 2004
Hi Patty,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping it might be available in a few bookstores here in Dublin, as I think it may have been printed here, but I will check out the website you have given me.

All the Best,
John.

Patty Miller

Jan 10, 1998
John, you are welcome. There is a possibility it is in a bookshop there, but having purchased books
from Michael's website before, I know without
a doubt the condition of the book will be excellent and he is always very reasonable on the shipping. Plus, I enjoy having a book where the
author has signed it. And now you have a great
website to go to , to look for Titanic books.
Sincerely, Patty

Nov 12, 2000
Hi John,
my bookstore is the only one in the U.S. carrying this book. far as I know, Senan has not arranged with any bookstores in Eire local to him to carry it. but that doesn't mean you have to order it from me all the way across the pond. you (and anyone else who resides in the UK & the continent) can also order the booklet directly from the author. that will save you on those overseas shipping fees.

Senan can be reached by e-mail at: smolony@oireachtas.irlgov.ie

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

John Flood

Mar 1, 2004
Hi Patty and Michael,

Thanks once again for the info. Plenty of good books to choose from on the Titanic Book Site.com. I can see my credit card taking a hit!!

All the Best,
John.

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
Hi all! I see on Amazon that Senan Molony has a new book, published this year, entitled "Titanic Scandal: The Trial of the Mount Temple". Has anyone read this book? I don't have the earlier pamphlet about the Mount Temple that he published (the original subject of this thread), but I have two of his more recent books, and I was wondering if this one is worth buying?

Thanks!
Russell