Sending an ROV deep into the ship

sally1976

Apr 23, 2012
liverpool uk
Michael just a quick question,In ghosts of the abyss cameron thought he had come across the car in the hold.. There was definately something there its a pity they couldnt of moved some of the debris very carefully it didnt look that deeply covered.Would like to know your thoughts.Many thanks

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
James Cameron did not think it was the car. It was most likely some baggage. By the way the car would have been in a wood box (not like in the movie).

sally1976

Apr 23, 2012
liverpool uk
ahhh ok sorry for my misinterpretation Ioannis.I must of been watching a different one from the one I stated.I understand that the metal would of corroded etc by now but wouldnt the tyres still be in tact.The more I discover about the story and details of titanic the more I hate the fact that cameron has based a large portion of this film on fiction.It would be fantastic if it was possible for members of this forum to create a titanic film with actual facts from start to finish,wouldnt that be something.Thanks for taking the time to reply Ioannis

Apr 11, 2001
I really must get off the trivia and fashion pages once in awhile- good stuff happening elsewhere! I understand that the current equipment used this past expedition for viewing the interiors was unwieldy and the size of 3 refrigerators. The rustcicles have grown out from the sides of the corridors and leave only about 2 feet wide navigating room in some instances- coupled with debris and collapsing decks it would seem fruitless to try to propel this monster anywhere- and potentially damaging.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hi Shelley. While I take the pronouncements of RMS Titanic Inc with a grain of salt, I agree that the ROVs available are on the unweildy side. If they are going to keep up with this,(And they will.) I would hope a smaller vehical is being developed or becomes available.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

R

Richard

I suggest sending a remotely operated vehicle deep inside the Titanic. Most of the footage is of the outside. Going deep inside the Titanic would be extremely interesting. We would be seing things for the first time ever. No human life would be endangered and apparently there is still woodwork deep inside the ship. This would make it even better as there would be more to see than we have seen of the interiors of the first few decks. It look more like the photos of the Titanic from 1912. We would also learn a bit more about the
disaster.

The only disadvantage I can think of is cost. Such vehicles are extremely expensive and such a 'mission' would be risky. The sub could be lost. But it could be done in my opinion by a big T.V. station. They would have the ressources and would be surely rewarded with many viewers. After all there was lots of interest before the movie and even more afterwards. Plus we would see the Titanic like we never have before. It would be riveting entertainement. Imagaine the hype.

All is needed is someone to do it!!!

M

Michael Salvona

RICHARD i agree seeing deep inside the ship than ever before would be facinating the only draw back would be in seeing things that whoever did it would want to remove and for now i think stuff inside the ship should be left there

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
For what it's worth, ROV's have been probing the Titanic's interior for quite some time now. Dr. Ballard's team was the first to do it, and later expiditions went even deeper into the ship. Some footage was used in Cameron's Titanic and it was so skillfully blended in with set work, that some experts had a difficult time telling the difference.

Richard, you are correct in the risks involved. As one might expect, the interior is in substantial disarray and portions of the ships structure have collapsed over the years which adds to the hazards of debris which shifted forward as the ship nosedived. An attempt to send an ROV into the hold to locate and photograph the 1910 Renault failed because they couldn't get past the clutter of the shifted cargo, distorted framing, bulkheads etc.

Not that I expect that they would have found much beyond maybe the engine block. The car was made of sheet metal, not inch thick hull plating, so it would have disintegrated in a reletively short time. Even if it hadn't, it would have been quite a feat to sort out the mangled remains from everything else.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dec 2, 2000
Here's a question for you, what if it were a fiberglass composition like many sports cars are today? It may have shattered on impact, but would the shards still be there or would they too have disintegrated?
Maureen.

Jan 26, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia.
James Cameron did not think it was the car. It was most likely some baggage. By the way the car would have been in a wood box (not like in the movie).
first message, sorry for barging, but as a vintage car enthusiast, I'm 100% sure that was the car, pictured from the front, front-right fender can be seen, like the metal rod supporting it, top of both headlights can be seen on the debris surface (headlights were still on place, not even moved out of place) the rolling surface of right tire/wheel can be seen, right rim is obviously broken (wooden spokes) and the outer rim/tire fell outwards. tire thread can be distinguished, some threads were poking out off the tire, signal of deterioration... I'l try to take a frame out of GotA doc.

here are the screenies, used the same twice.

renault_zpsa46773ea.jpg

original frame from GotA found on youtube (sorry, had the lazies to try to find my copy)

Here below, the same frame with some poorly doctored guidelines...

renault2_zps8800f0f9.jpg

By 'hump' on the headlight I mean that small chimney gas based headlights had. Also notice how both fenders are perfectly aligned, a natural occurrence cannot happen with this level of perfection, also notice how left headlight is were it's supposed to be on a Renault of the era, and how perfectly aligned is respect the line signaling fenders end.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
An academic question, but I suspect glass reinforced plastic would survive. I still don't think you'ed find anything though. I suspect the vehical was crushed and buried under the shifting cargo.

Cordially,
michael H. Standart