Sending baggage onward separately

Arun Vajpey

Jul 8, 1999
Would it have been possible for a Second Class passenger couple emigrating from the UK to America to have sent their main baggage a day or so earlier by another ship while they traveled on board the Titanic themselves with only what they needed for the crossing? Were there, in fact, any such passengers on board?

Nov 2, 2017
There was a coal shortage, so some passengers who had booked crossings with other White Star liners did have their bookings switched to Titanic due to this. Now whether or not they would have had their luggage sent on ahead or not is not something I'm aware of, but it seems possible. I do know that most 1st and 2nd class passengers would have a smaller "steamer" trunk that would be placed in their stateroom while the rest of their luggage would be stored in the hold, which is why there were stickers/tags that designated which pieces of luggage went where - there are many examples of these types of tags in the various archives. So to answer your question, yes it's possible, but I don't know of any exact examples.