September 1 Day of Discovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2000
Today marks the 23rd anniversary of the discovery of the wreck. Hard to believe. I was wondering what others thought when they heard the news that day. I thought it was a hoax or some practical joke on the news. I recall the News of the World Weekly tabloid later in the week with the screaming headlines.

Matthew Farr

Mar 23, 2000
Lansing, Michigan, United States
I was only 3 years old that day!
happy.gif

I really wish I was older though so I could remember it.

I was 10 years old and I clearly remember watching TV with my parents and a preview of coming news came on. There were big words on the screen that said, "Titanic Found!" and the anchor said, "The legendary wreck has been found. Details at 10." My parents let me stay up late that night.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I was wondering what others thought when they heard the news that day.<<

I had a sense that the expedition would find the wreck, but at the time, I was reporting to a new command. Other then wondering when some photos would be released, I didn't give it a lot of thought.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Dear me, I was already 45!

I don't remember how I found out, but my first reaction was to get out a plotting chart and look at the Carpathia rescue voyage. The rest is history.

Sep 7, 2002
When I heard about it I was so excited. I think I must have watched every news broadcast I could find hoping they would have something to report that evening.

I can't remember, but did they broadcast the photos and video right away or did we have to wait?

Leen

May 27, 2007
I had just turned 8 the month before and my brother had turned 9 and we both thought it was a neat birthday present. I remember our family having a discussion of the wreck and how pristine it looked from the pictures at the time. Plus we talked about Great Grandma Phillips who kept the Titanic alive in stories in our family. She had been 14 when The Titanic sank. The finding of the wreck actually was what made me read ANTR later on and started my interest in The Titanic and her passengers.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I can't remember, but did they broadcast the photos and video right away or did we have to wait?<<

As I recall, the first photos were already published before the expedition even made port. They weren't all that great and some of the conclusions...like the wooden deck covering surviving...were wrong but it was better then nothing.

Aug 29, 2000
Yes I think there was a heliocopter which flew back prematurely with the footage and this was at the bottom of some hurt feelings with the French end of the expedition because the press release and footage did not come out as originally agreed upon as a joint effort.

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
I was glad Jack Grimm didn't find the ship, her condition today if he did find her would likely be far worse. But I do remember being very excited about the find.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I was glad Jack Grimm didn't find the ship, her condition today if he did find her would likely be far worse.<<

I'm not so sure about that. Oh he may have been able to claim salvage rights but I think it likely that he still would have found an admiralty court looking over his shoulders from wherever he tried to assert his claim.

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
Grimm did seem to have more salvage type of operations in mind. Not that since hasn't been done. Either way, I just have a sense things may have been worse if he found the ship. Although he did have some great scientists employed for him and it was a loss for them.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Either way, I just have a sense things may have been worse if he found the ship.<<

Maybe but I'm skeptical of that if only because he would have had to justify it all with the same judges who were watching over it when RMSTI asserted their claim. These same judges have not been allowing a free-for-all down there and made it abundantly clear that molesting the ship herself was not an option.

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
If Grimm had actually found the ship first before the courts got involved what was to stop him from plucking whatever he wanted at first?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>If Grimm had actually found the ship first before the courts got involved what was to stop him from plucking whatever he wanted at first?<<

Nothing as long as he was out to sea. The catch is that one can't really stay there for long without some really lavish support. Eventually, he would have to put into port somewhere and one he tries to land anything, the lawyers and the judges get involved. This is not a voluntary process either. If you wish to assert a claim, an admiralty court somewhere will be involved.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I just transferred to DVD the two hours of news coverage I taped back in 1985 detailing the reports of the wreck being found. A young Maria Shriver hosting CBS Morning News, David Hartman still hosting Good Morning America. A long time ago in many respects!

I still get a chuckle over the inaccurate interpretations of the initial wreck photos. Ballard mistaking the swung around boom anchor on the bow for a flag jackstaff. The first photo of the bow that CBS claims with assurance shows the "ice damage". The insistence that the second and third smokestacks were still intact. It took us just a few months to see how wrong many of those assumptions were!

Jun 10, 1999
SEPT 1-3: I guess it's just coincidence that the Hurricanes started their rampant charge *North-East", toward the Grand Banks of New Foundland,
realizing that Titanic rests 400 miles South East?? Maybe a higher power wants us to acknowledge Dr. Ballard's "Long Last Look" in 1986. However...I think not.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I suspect that any higher power will have much better things to do with her time then to try and short circuit a scientific survey of a shipwreck and the surrounding debris field.

The rash of hurricanes in any event was predicted well ahead of time. Several months ago in fact, and the August-September timeframe is typically the hight of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.