Sequel to Titanic 1997

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi all,

Just heard last night on the news that James Cameron will start filming a Titanic sequel this week. He is sailing from St. Johns, Newfoundland to film the wreck.

It's going to be called "Ghosts of the Abyss" and it will be a 45 minute documentary.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

B

Brandon Ralph Whited

Hello Jason,

I don't think that this new documentary would be considered a "sequel" to the '97 flick. For more info. on this new Cameron project, check out the Fox Studios Baja discussion under this same forum.

Cheers,
happy.gif

-B.W.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Brandon and Beverly,

Brandon: You're right it's not a sequel, my mistake! I just checked that discussion, thanks!

Beverly: That's right, the best thing will be that it's in 3D!! I can't wait to see it either!!!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

S

Stacie Crowther

Cool, a new documentary. Also Cameron has so much extra scenes from his flick that have not been released, like when Jack belts Lovejoy one in the jaw and Cora and her father stuck behind a barrier gate as the passageway fills with water rapidly from behind.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

I know most of the Titanic`s passengers are fake in James Cameron`s Titanic movie, but does anyone know did Cora and her father die ? Or were saved ? Thanks for any answers, Lorie.How do you add smily faces to the messages ?

Jul 12, 2003
Bob...since you mentioned the final dream sequence...how do you or anyone else interpret what you are seeing? I see it as Rose dying in her sleep as an old woman (remember that was Jack's wish--that she die an old woman warm in her bed)--and her spirit meeting all those on the ship that she had contact with who already passed before her...but it is strange that her mother nor Cal were a part of that large group. As for the light above Jack and Rose that the camera pans upward to--I think that might be a symbol for the souls of those ascending to Heaven.

I've heard other interpretations from other people so it is kind of interesting.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Cameron leaves you a choice - you can see it as a dream, or as a fantasy of reunion in death, where even the ship is restored to its former glory. In that case, only those who died on Titanic should be there (that's why Cora's presence is significant) with the one exception of Rose, who joins them by choice, or because a significant part of her 'died' with Jack, if you like. And only those who weren't beyond redemption - I don't recall seeing Lovejoy in that gathering!

Jul 12, 2003
It is interesting...I do remember that Rose's mother, Cal, etc. were not with the "final group". Nonetheless, I liked the ending...because it gave such a romantic impression....and the way they did it was as if all the others who died before Rose, were waiting for her.

I don't know about any sequel...but if there was one, do you think it would touch on why Rose's mother never back into her life? I mean, if Rose was an actress during the first part of her life (after Titanic), wouldn't her mother have heard about it? Or maybe pride kept her from seeking her daughter...even seeking to find out if her daughter perished.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
If you check out the other threads in this section you'll find a lot of discussion on that sort of question. I don't think there will ever be a sequel (or prequel) based on the fictional elements of Cameron's script, but I'm sure we haven't seen the last of Titanic in the cinema. I'd be surprised if we see another film based on the voyage or the sinking. What's left is the possibility of a wider exploration of the real lives and events that led up to the maiden voyage, or its aftermath.

There's a strong possibility that we might see a drama-doc based on the disaster hearings, or perhaps the Halifax-based operation to recover the dead. These areas would be a dangerous gamble for a major Studio looking for box office returns, but they would suit the low-budget made-for-TV market.

If you're interested in speculations about what might have happened to Cameron's fictional characters in their later 'lives', there's a lot of 'fan-fiction' out there on the web, and some of it is pretty good. Cora Cartmel often becomes a central character.

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
My take on the dream sequence is that Rose's Mother, Cal and Lovejoy survived and lived a life outside and beyond Titanic.That she died "warm in her bed" right above the wreck site added poignance. Her 'heart' was still with Jack and she was welcomed back to the people she belonged to, loved, and had a permanent kinship with.

As for the unlikely sequel, the mother could be easily explained away. Rose could have disowned her much like Demi Moore did her mother in real life LOL! Not that the scandal rags paid much attention to the prior lives of minor stars in the 20s and 30s. Or maybe Rose became more kindly to her mother (who never wanted to talk of Titanic again?) and got her a job as a seamstress in one of the studios. Or maybe she married Cal's father and disowned that bratty little Rose! (Just kidding I like Kate Winslett a lot).

Personally I dislike most sequels. They lack the originality that made the original, well ORIGINAL! "Back to the Future" was on of my favorite 80s movies. But it got progressively worse and convoluted IMHO. The only good sequels were the Godfather series. Remember Rocky (I) got an Oscar! It was downhill artistically after that but a successful franchise.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

I interpret it as a fantasy of reunion in death. So wait, if Lovejoy was not in the reunion, does that mean he went to... well, you know where.A place, I as a Roman Catholic do not believe in . I`m with Tim.I do not think there should be a sequel to TITANIC, Instead, there should be a movie about for example the Allisons, who tragically perished, they could have been saved, if someone did not tell Mrs. Allison her husband was on the other side of the ship. Or about the Asplunds,the Navratils, Harts,or even the Beckers. In that case, the mocie would be even more realistic-because of the survivirs` point of views, experiences...

Jul 12, 2003
Sometimes I think that the only reason a film studio might attempt to make a sequel is if there was a good deal of money to be made. Maybe they should leave well enough alone. More documentaries, however, would be nice as more information on the ship or its passengers is discovered. In any case, there will always be people like us to keep the ship alive in places like this.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Did I post my message right ? Oh yeah, how do you delete that line, where it says: delete this line and write here.Thanks. Lorie.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I always post directly in the box at the bottom of the page in the ET thread, Lorie. That way you can check all the recent posts rather than just the one included in an email notification, and respond to points that different people have made. When you get an email from ET it always includes a link (at the bottom) that will transport you right into the thread.

Matt Smith

Feb 24, 1998
Laura and Deborah, if the people want to see a sequel because they liked the first one why not make another one? Just as long as they don't ruin the real thought. Such as in Titanic, they could easily ruin the sad emotional part of it but I don't think that they did.

Some people will watch documentaries (like us) but more people will watch movie films.If its entertaining why not? Just don't ruin the real idea.

Matt

David Porter

Jul 22, 2003
There were the good guys and there were the bad guys. Rose was a good guy. Remember she changed her last name when she gave her name to the steward on the Carpathia - so officially, she was listed as being dead. Then off to Hollywood and her screen career. Of course her mother never saw any of her movies - she was busy being that seamstress she was wanting not to be. So my view is that everyone on the Grand Staircase were all the good guys that went down with the ship, and they were all waiting around for Rose before they started to party.

L

Laura Melinda Varjo

Yeah, that`s how I post too, oh well, it`s just that I can not write here in the ET messeage board.Can`t find the thread. First, I have to open my e-mail, then click on a long address, this address, and here I am. (Sorry for the english). Well, I`ll manage somehow. What ever I do wrong, is it a problem for you and anybody else to post to me ?

Status
Not open for further replies.