Shaking my head at it once again

Kevin Tischer

Dec 24, 2011
So I tried watching this movie again a few nights ago. Probably the first time in a few years. And every time I watch this movie I keep noticing more and more things that just aren't right. It's almost like beating a dead horse just by bringing up this topic!

What really bothers me is the depiction of so many locked gates in the movie. I counted at least 6 locked gates. One gets busted down by Dawson and crew and one gets unlocked by Dawson himself. Now I firmly believe that Titanic had gates because it was law that ships of that size had to segregate the steerage from the other classes unless they wanted to be quarantined once the pulled into New York harbor. But I really find it hard to believe that there were that many of those gates locked during the sinking. Especially how they showed the gates drawn in the main staircase. We know that those gates were in fact never locked! That's how most of the engineers made it up to the poop deck according to Dillon's testimony. I know, I know, it's like beating a dead horse bringing up all of these topics about mistakes and inaccuracies in the movie but I couldn't help myself. Just please don't get me started on how Cameron couldn't even put the MAA office in the right spot or how he screwed up E deck completely after Jack and Rose escape from the dining room. ARG! (shudders)

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
I have just been trying to find out a little more about third class passenger Amy Stanley, who must have had a cabin some way below the boat deck. Amy recalled that, after the collision, she got out of her bunk and went up on deck. A steward said that the engines had stopped and ordered all the women back to bed. Sensing something was very wrong, she returned to her cabin and assisted her two fellow third class passengers to dress, and then they all went up on deck:

‘We tried to reach the boats. Then I saw two fellows whom we met at meals, the only men we made real friends of, coming towards us, who assisted us over the railings into the lifeboat. As we were being lowered, a man about 16 stone jumped into the boat almost on top of me. I heard a pistol fired - I believe it was done to frighten the men from rushing the boat’.

Nothing there about being locked down below because they were third class passengers. As a matter of interest, the big fat man who almost landed on her was probably a Syrian called Nakid, and, reading between the lines, it appears that the officers fired their pistols to stop any more third class men from forcing their way into the lifeboats - but that is another story!

Reverting, briefly to the "locked gates", I think that, if they were indeed locked, there would have been an axe kept nearby with a sign saying "for use in case of an emergency".

Kevin Tischer

Dec 24, 2011
there are so many stories just like that one. I'm sure there would've been an axe nearby too. I don't think the gates were as sturdy as they are portrayed in the movie. More just a visual sign that they can't go past it. Much like the waist high gates used to separate the decks on the outside. If White Star really wanted to keep them segre"gated" lol then they would've built gates higher than waist high topside. The third class passengers knew they weren't allowed out of there part of the ship so the crew wouldn't bother locking up all the gates. That would only make it harder for the crew themselves to move about the ship. I even know there are stories about 3rd class making it up top by way of the grand staircase. It's also a deleted scene from Titanic, which makes no sense, they can't get up their own stairs but some find their way up the grand staircase. ppsshh please. It's a great movie for entertainment reasons but the more I learn about Titanic the less enjoyable it is to watch.

S

Sarah Wilson

Kevin. What you have to remember is that it's a Hollywood movie not a documentary. There are bound to be inaccuracies. Also what you need to bear in mind is that the majority of the movie goer's aren't going to be rivet counters and Titanic buffs. They're just watching it to be entertained. Overall the recreated sets are mind blowing and should be appreciated. I think we can forgive Mr Cameron a few oversights.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
If I remember correctly, there is a similar "locked gate" scene in a Night to Remember (1958), in which a group of third class passengers smash down a barrier with one of the emergency fire axes. However, I would suggest that this scene was included as an example of British "humour" - the funny bit being when the steward says something to the effect of: "ere, you can't do that, that's company property! This is very different to the scenes in Cameron's Titanic, which imply that evil company officials want to keep the third class passengers locked-up below decks so that they will all die. It simply didn't happen like that.

Kevin Tischer

Dec 24, 2011
Oh most certainly, Sarah. I even agreed in an earlier post that the movie is very entertaining.

Stanley, there could be some truth to the ANTR scene, when people are faced with life and death its only a natural instinct to do everything they can to survive. Even things that normally they wouldn't do. Just look at the people on the overturned collapsible that would club swimmers to death with their oars. You see those stories over and over again throughout that night. And many of those stories are never told.

>> It's almost like beating a dead horse just by bringing up this topic!

True.

>> Just look at the people on the overturned collapsible that would
>> club swimmers to death with their oars

Am I missing some information that I didn't know? I've heard of anyone saying that they clubbed swimmers to death. I've only heard of people pushing swimmers away with their oars. Big difference.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
>> Look at the people on the overturned collapsible that would club swimmers to death with their oars <<

That's because, in Cameron's Titanic, evil company officials want to hit people very hard on the head with oars so that they will all die.

Kevin Tischer

Dec 24, 2011
Yes, see, I have been corrupted by the lies in the movie!

No I read it from George Rheims account. He was actually in collapsible A which was flooded not overturned.

"At first they did not let me get on, but I succeeded nevertheless...We had to push back about a dozen fellows who wanted to get on the raft; we were loaded to the limit. I will spare you the details, which were horrible."

I always took this to mean they had to beat them off with oars.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
I think the point is, as mentioned by Jeremy Aufderheide, there are references to people pushing swimmers away with their oars, but this is not the same as 'clubbing them to death'.

The point I have been trying to make is that in Cameron's Titanic, there seems to be an attempt to portray many of the participants, particularly those in any kind of authority, in the worst possible light. This is is contrast to A Night to Remember, in which officers such as Lightoller are portrayed as the good guys.

Kevin Tischer

Dec 24, 2011
Stanley: Agreed, Cameron does depict the crew as incompetent and evil. And even shows the upper class as evil at times too. Which some of them might have been but he tells it in such a way that we assume all rich are evil people in this movie. That's the feeling I get, at least. Except for Molly Brown who takes care of Jack before dinner.