Ship Modelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
I just had a look at the 06 Revell Germany catalog, and in their rereleases of old kits, they will be releasing their Oriana, and also their N.S. Savannah.
The Revell Savannah is reportedly an excellent model, needing only cleaning up of flash, and possible photo-etch railings.
It certainly is a unique ship.

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
It is'nt Titanic, but I wanted to post a progress photo of HMS Campanula, my Flower Class Corvette.
This is the Revell (Matchbox) kit, but at this point the only thing left of the original kit is the hull, rudder, and stack.
My HIJMS Akizuki, which I hope to return to work on soon, lies alongside.
campanula_hull.jpg

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
I was just checking out http://www.papermodels.net and they have quite a few liners from various manufacturers including Europa, Vaterland, Titanic, Normandie, QE1&2, QM1&2 etc.
My father had a business selling these paper kits, and many build into beautiful models with detail rivaling plastic.
It's worth browsing their selection!

Laura Sprague

Mar 13, 2007
I sure wish I could find a model of either Texas Tower No. 3, and/or Texas Tower No. 4! These were offshore radar stations that were situated in the Atlantic Ocean near the edge of the continental shelf between 1956 and 1963. If anyone knows where I can get these models, or if they even exist, please let me know!

Apr 27, 2005
Laura: I remember the night that Texas Tower #3 went down in the Atlantic. I have no connection with the site, although I've spoken to people who have dived on the wreckage. What is your interest in the structures? Just curious.

Laura Sprague

Mar 13, 2007
I have always been interested in the Texas Towers ever since I read about the disaster in the April 1962 Reader's Digest titled "Tragedy On Tower Four". I was only 11 years old and this article had me thoroughly fascinated with the Texas Towers. Next to the RMS Titanic, Tower Four represented a disaster that never needed to have happened, if the warnings had all been heeded in both cases! Also, I have an inexpensive plastic model of the Titanic that I bought in one of the gift shops when I stayed on board the Queen Mary at Long Beach, so I thought that a couple of models of the TTs would look great next to my model Titanic!

ash briers

May 1, 2008
i'm a collector of rare models, so far i have a queen elizabeth, oriana and mauretania, i have my eyes set on a canberra, united states and france (which usually goes for around £60), the only reason these became so rare is not because they are discontinued, one of the airfix manufacturing factories got burnt down and many model moulds were lost, so i suspect that these included these beautiful ship models.

Status
Not open for further replies.