Ship Of Dreams Exhibition Orlando Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve maynard

Mar 31, 2002
Hi Everyone,
Now i know this subject has been up before, I have even recieved Emails at home regarding the Exhibition.
I said that last year Actors did not portray Passengers on board The Titanic, However after my recent visit 2 weeks ago, One of the Exhibition staff does. However in my opinion this does not detract from what some find a sensative area.
After all is there anyone that finds actors in the Film TITANIC playing the part of Say Captain Smith or Bruce Ismay Offensive, As i say the exhibition staff are only doing the same job!
Anyone going to Orlando Must visit this excellent exhibit for only $17 its good value for money.
I know its not Disney world but then Do Real and Honest Titanic Collectors /Fans Like myself really base it on this type of Attraction.
To see Original Presinking items , Posters Deck Plans, Adverts and a full range of Wonderfull items of the Like.
One of the Staff (Pat the Irishman) if he does Not bring a tear to any dry eye, Looking in a darkend Room at an Original Life jacket with his sorrowfull tale, Then they should have gone elseware.
Now i had my say.
Please Try it dont Nock It.
Steve

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Dear Steve,
I know you just got back from SOD. Did you enjoy seeing the Titanic Concepts Inc. items there? If so, would you kindly give the "folks at home" an idea of some of these rare and one of a kind artefacts we have on display in SOD? Thank you, Steve Santini.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well, if anyone wants to go to the TSOD in Orlando, better do it before the end of December. That's when the lease extention ends. Where they go after that, or if they will renew the extention, I haven't heard yet.
As for the Titanic Concepts Inc. items, I will sing the praises! I feel so connected to Titanic when I am so close to them. Sure, the sets are cool and the actors are completely in character, but it's the artifacts that truly make the museum. Like I said, Steve, if you ever need a historian to travel with your exhibit, let me know and I'll sell the condo and buy a motorhome. I come complete with costumes for all occasions.
All the best,
Kyrila

steve maynard

Mar 31, 2002
Hi Steve,
As i said earlier, The items on display are well worth the visit!!
Of course to many to mention, But as i recall there were original Adverts, Deck plans, Chinaware, Letters written on board, telegrammes from survivors, the lifejacket.
To be honest there was so much that i have now lost track!!!
I hope they can prolong the Exhibition until i can get over to the states again!
Maybe the next site will be New York!!
Or with luck here in the UK, I can then lease some of my collection out to Paul Burns!!
All the best to all,
Steve Maynard

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Dear Kyrila and Steve,
Thanks for the kind words! And Eric, they did once have a website but it mainly featured objects on display in the first year of operation (many of which are no longer there). The collection has changed (for the better in my humble opinion)and I imagine eventually a new web page may be constructed to reflect these improvements and changes. Regards, Steve Santini

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Erik, I have a brochure somewhere with the website address. I don't know where it is at the moment but I think it's www.titanicshipofdreams.com Meanwhile, I will try to download some photos I took the last time I was there. I can't always figure it out because some of them are on a Kodak CD, but I can send them to you privately if you want to contact me at my email address.
Well, I tried, but the file was just too big! Sorry.

Kyrila

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
Thanks Kyrila,

I am wondering if it is worth my time to go the next time I am in the Orlando area. What do you think??

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well worth your time! You will feel transformed to 1912, especially when you enter the foyer at the bottom of the Grand Staircase and look up at the glass dome. You'll traverse Scotland Road and pass the Millionaire's Suite, see some amazing things. Experience it on the freezing Promenade Deck after the lifeboats have gone. And let me know when you come down and I'll try to meet you there. Any excuse to go to TSOD! Bring lots of cash, because you'll go crazy in the gift shop. I'll try to get you those photos this weekend.

All the best,
Kyrila

S

Stephen Stanger

Hello all. Just so y'all know we won't be closing in December after all, we will be here for at least another six months, so come on over.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Because I was in Orlando on other business, I had no knowledge of this exhibition. Turned out it was across from my hotel, so I decided to pay it a visit.

Unfortuantely, I came away with the feeling that I had wasted my time completely. First off, this may be my own fault for not knowing the difference, but I was under the impression that salvaged artifacts were here, and when I realized only at the very end of my tour that none were, and then found I had to listen to a lot of irritating pro-Ballard propaganda from the actor/tour guide (which included repeating the falsehood about the stern plaque being "stolen" and I was on the verge of shouting out that that was a lie because I was so furious at having to hear this) I came away feeling I had wasted my money. Sure, there were some interesting presinking artifacts, but the bulk of what I saw was simply props from the Cameron movie and as far as I'm concerned, those have no emotional impact whatsoever.

I also need to get this off my chest. I absolutely HATE this practice of tour guides doing in-character performances, especially since the woman I got stuck with spent most of her time doing annoying unfunny jokes, and on top of that went out of her way to sensationalize and distort, not just on the Ballard matter, but also on the matter of lifeboats aboard Titanic. Thomas Andrews never to my knowledge pressed Ismay on the need for more lifeboats, and she also suggested Alexader Carlisle got sacked for designing davits that could hold more lifeboats, which I don't believe is the case either.

I have been to artifact exhibitions in Atlantic City and Chicago, and sorry to say, this ranks as the worst presentation of the Titanic I have ever seen, and also I got a nice reminder of how actually seeing recovered artifacts from the ocean floor ultimately does more to bring the emotional impact of the disaster home than anything else ever can.

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Eric, My family and I went to TSOD along with Keith Russell, a trustee of Titanic International. We went two years ago.

During our brief visit there, Olympic pieces were incorrectly displayed as being from Titanic. Numerous exaggerations were made as far as factual information from the first few guides. Keith and I, after the fourth attempt to pass off something as being from Titanic, corrected one of the guides and from that moment on, received a very cold stares from the man. It really ticked him off when some of the members of the tour began to ask us questions instead of the guide.

I agree wholeheartedly about the role of Cameron's movie in the exhibit. Two items in the gift shop I found interesting were two autographed pictures of William T. Stead (who did not survive the sinking). They were priced rather steeply at $1100. This made my Stead picture/autograph go up in value!

We did have one tour guide who, during his segment, was informative about the Titanic before she sailed. This character portrayed someone who perished during the construction of the ship, but he was very accurate as far as details. He was the only tour guide to say "I don't know" to some of the questions. I appreciated his honesty and he was without a doubt the best of the guides we received.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
When the movie INDEPENDENCE DAY came out, my brother railed over it, until I told him the film was meant to be a comic book, not to be taken seriously. Considering that TSOD is owned and operated by a corporation interested in providing entertainment and experience, you cannot take TSOD as a serious museum exhibit. However, if you want to stand and look up the Grand Staircase at the Honor and Glory clock, or view the First Class Millionaire's suite, or walk down Scotland Road, you can experience a little of what it must have been like to be on the Titanic. It is the closest most of us will ever get to that experience. The tour guides are actors, following scripts written for them. Many of them work at other shows in the area, but some of the guides who have worked there the longest are truly interested in the Titanic and I enjoy walking through the exhibit with them. They know me, know my work, and allow me to participate - even defer to me at times. Perhaps if they had known prior to the start of your tours that you were Titanic experts, they would have gone out of their way to make your experience more enjoyable. I know the staff are very sincere, even if they are a bit corny and inaccurate at times. They're just trying to do their jobs. Please don't fault them because they're not like us. Some of them do post here, though - the ones who really care. So please be kind. Perhaps one day they'll finally let me work there! Then you can come back and take MY tour!!!

Kyrila

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
I'd like to add a bit of info about TSOD.
I first visited the place in the summer of 1999 and was very impressed. I got chatting to a tourguide who played Lady Duff-Gordon. I thought she was very good, and she stayed in character throughout. My mum goaded me to ask her something that she didn't know about, so I said "I am sorry to hear your husband only has one eye, how did that happen?"
Her jaw dropped and she broke character. She whispered "I didn't know that!", and then talked to us as the real person. Her name was Adrienne and she was great! She knew her stuff! She said that she and her fellow actors learned their stuff by being locked up for a few weeks with many books and internet access - and yes, E-T was one of them! She also said that she and her fellow actors were overawed when Ken Marshall visited them a few weeks previously.

When I got home I sent her a photocopy of a book giving some more details about Duff-Gordon, but I never got a reply, either then or on other occasions until last year when I was in touch with another tourguide via email.

Cheers

Paul

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I will admit that because of some other circumstances unrelated to Titanic, I was not in the best frame of mind to begin with entering this tour, but I'd like to know just who ultimately runs this exhibition, and were salvaged artifacts on display here at one time in the past? The Grand Staircase recreation and the promenade deck and the wall of ice you touch is exactly what I remember from the artifact exhibitions in Atlantic City and Chicago, which in part is why I thought ultimately there were going to be salvaged artifacts in the display. Or are they just duplicating what's been done in the real artifact exhibitions?

I suppose the tip off for me should have been seeing a lot of their artifacts courtesy of THS, which I know has long had nothing but nasty things to say about the true artifact exhibitions. If someone could clarify the corporate nature of who runs what, I'd appreciate that.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Certainly, when I visited TSOD in 1999, 2000 and 2002, there were salvaged artefacts there - in a large darkened room towards the end of the exhibition.

Cheers

Paul

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
That makes the matter of who's running things now all the more curious from my standpoint, since their artifact-free display is now toeing the Ballard line completely.

Steve Santini

Nov 22, 2000
Dear Eric,

As an exhibitor of artifacts at the Orlando site, I must say that pre sinking artifacts and movie props are not the only objects of import in Orlando at SOD.

In fact, we have a number of actual items FROM the ship and later salvaged by body recovery ships on display.

I noticed you did not mention these rare objects and seemed keenly disappointed that there was nothing on display salvaged from the vessel.

Perhaps you missed the recovered items of floatsam I am mentioning?

I mean, talk about rare!

Regards, Steve Santini

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Yes, I was disappointed there were no artifacts from any of the expeditions, because that is what I am interested in seeing from my past visits to Atlantic City and Chicago exhibitions, and without them, there is something distinctly lacking from my standpoint, especially when I have to listen to Ballard propaganda that included the repetition of a falsehood about the stern plaque being stolen.

I did see those items recovered in 1912, but I have long held the opinion that a sliver of wood hardly compares to the emotional impact I have felt from seeing the large numbers of recovered artifacts that I've seen in the past. Perhaps had the advertising literature I'd seen made it clear as to what was and was not included in this, I might have come away with a different reaction but as it was, it was a great disappointment to me and a sense that I should have spent my time elsewhere (getting a ticket with a young girl's passenger name didn't put me in a good frame of mind either, especially when that annoying tour guide I was stuck with decided to loudly call attention to that more than once).

Status
Not open for further replies.