Ship With Most Funnels?

Adam Hickey

Oct 6, 2010
Hello,

I apologise in advance if this topic has already been discussed before, however I could not find any topic about this when searching.

I was wondering if anyone here knew which ship, whether it be an ocean liner or a battleship, has had the most funnels? From my own research, I have found that the Great Eastern had 5 funnels, downgraded to 4, and the Russian cruiser Askold also had 5. The most I have ever found was a 6 funnel battleship which I believe was called the Italia, or was an Italia Class Battleship.

Does anyone know of any other ship that may have 6 funnels, or perhaps ships with 7, 8 or more?

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Adam,

I've certainly never come across any ships of any variety with more funnels than those which you already mentioned. The four funnel liners were of course the most famous but once their era was done, and post-World War II, designs had completely changed. Having said that, I found this article which might be of some interest to you in determining why passengers thought the more funnels a ship had, the better it was, and the reality of it all:

Funnels (smokestacks) - Website of business-of-migration!

Cheers,
Adam.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
No problem, glad you enjoyed it! Makes quite an interesting study in the perceptions of people in terms of quantity vs quality really!

Cheers,
Adam.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
The French Waldeck Rousseau class cruisers had at least six funnels, arranged in two groups of three, while photographs show what may in fact be a seventh (somewhat shorter) vent or funnel between the two main groups.