Shipbuilder 19071914

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nathan Good

Hello folks,

I have been considering purchasing one of the Shipbuilder 1907-1914 and I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about them.
First off, which one contains the Olympic Class? Does this also contain the Lusitania and the Mauretania? Are there interior shots in these books or is it strictly exterior and construction details? Does anyone recommend this book and do you think it is worth the price?

Any information would be helpful

Thanks

Nathan

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Do I recommend it? Yes! I bought the two volumns two years ago, and they are a gold mine of information on a number of classic liners from the period. These are reprints of the articles on the ships, complete with the photos...interior and exteriors...that appeared with them. You'll find data and deck plans for the Olympic, Lusitania, Aquatania, Imperator, etc. If memory serves, the Olympics are in the first volumn. Well worth the money.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Oct 13, 2000
I second Michael's enthusiastic recommendation on these books. they have a tremendous amount of information about the liners.

volume one,Distinguished Liners from the Shipbuilder 1906-1914, Volume 1 contains Olympic/Titanic & Lusitania/Mauretania. other liners included in this volume include the France, the Rotterdam, the Cameronia, the Adriatic, the Laurentic, the Empress of Russia and the Empress of Ireland, amongst others.

the second volume covers an additional 53 ships including the Franconia, the Kaiser Franz Joseph I, the Vestris, the Britannic, the Aquitania, the Imperator, the Vaterland and the Bismarck amongst many others.

the author for both is Mark Warren.

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

N

Nathan Good

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. and recommendations. You have been of tremendous help.

Thanks Again

Nathan

Cal Haines

Nov 20, 2000
Tucson, AZ USA
Nathan,

There are two Shipbuilder reprints out there. One is Distinguished Liners... by Warren, it contains reprints of articles from the regular (quarterly) issues of The Shipbuilder. The other is Olympic & Titanic--Oceanliners of the Past (Amereon House, 1995), which contains a reprint of the Olympic/Titanic "Special Number" issue of The Shipbuilder. The latter is basically a supplemental issue and contains a much longer article(127 pages) about the sisters. By comparison, the Warren book has about 30 pages on O&T. If you are a serious rivet counter, you will want the "Special Number" issue. Off hand, I can't think of anything in the Warren book that isn't covered in the "Special Number".

Both books are outrageously overpriced. As far as I know, the 1912-era material is long since out of copyright, so if you can locate copies you should be able to make copies of the public domain stuff for your own use.

Cal

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Addendum to Olympic & Titanic--Ocean Liners of the Past which was edited by John Maxtone-Graham, this book is currently out of print, but used book dealers should be able to get a copy of it if you want. I recommend it as it certainly provides some valuable information on these ships. I picked mine up on the remainder shelf at a Barnes & Noble.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

N

Nathan Good

Hi again,

Part of the reason I was considering the 'Distinguished Liners' volume is because it contained both the Olympics and the Lusitania and Mauretania. I did find that you could order those 'ocean liners of the past' reprints of the shipbuilder all seperately but they run at around 140+ american dollars. I figured that, the Vol. 1 is cheaper and its a sort of '2 in 1'. So I did order it after hearing Mr. Standart and Mr. Tennaro's original praise and I have intentions for buying the second volume at a later date. Thanks for all of your insights and info. It was helpful as always. Do you think it would be worth caughing up the cash to buy some of those 'Ocean Liners of the Past' if I get the Distinguished Series?

Thanks as always

Nathan

P.S. Mr. Standart, I heard you say in a previous message that you had read John Maxtone-Graham's 'The Only Way to Cross'. Do you also recommend this work?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Ocean Liners of the Past? Get it if you can!

The Only Way To Cross? An absolute must have. Maxtone-Graham has a nice streght forward writing style and he makes some pretty complicated subjects readily understandable. Some of the information is a bit dated, but if you want to get a good view of what it was like on the liners, this is the book to have.

I think this one is out-of-print as well, but I still occasionally see it in bargain sections and Amazon or Barnes & Noble may have some copies available.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

N

Nathan Good

Thanks Mr. Standart,

I just ordered The Only Way to Cross from Barnes and Noble and am looking forward to it. It was a great deal, the shipping and handling was more than the price of the book itself.

Thanks again,

Nathan

Cal Haines

Nov 20, 2000
Tucson, AZ USA
re: Olympic & Titanic--Ocean Liners of the Past

You might want to check the Titanic Historical Society: http://www.titanic1.org
They used to stock it. Unfortunately, they have gone high-tech with their book list and all it seems to list these days is "page not found error".

Cal

N

Nathan Good

Was there ever a special number shipbuilder for the Britannic? Is it possible to get a copy or reprint? I'd be greatful for any information.

Thanks

Nathan

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Nathan!

I don't know from memory of any special number. I expect one was planned, but with the outbreak of war it was postponed until after the war, when the ship had been lost.

Best regards,

Mark.

Oct 13, 2000
Nathan, you got me wondering (always a dangerous thing) how many Shipbuilder special edition reprints there have been. a quick search turned up six, although I could only find the subject of five out of the six. these are all modern reprints of original Shipbuilder special editions, published in the Ocean Liners of the Past series:

volume one: Olympic/Titanic
volume two: Lusitania/Mauretania
volume three: Aquitania
volume four: Empress of Britain
volume five: ?????
volume six: Queen Mary

anyone know what ship number five covered? and if there were any further volumes in the series?
best, Michael (TheManInBlack)

Jan 5, 2001
Wasn't #5 the Rex and her sister? Or, I seem to recall one on Normandie. Probably I am off track here.
wink.gif

Best regards,

Mark.

B

Brian Hawley

Mike and Mark, I seem to recall that the second Mauretania was covered in the reprints as well.

Brian

N

Nathan Good

Hi folks!

Hope everybody is doing well. I was wondering of anyone has information on where someone could find a copy of the Shipbuilder Special Number reprint? Is it possible to get one in good condition for a reasonable price? Does anyone know if there is someone that I could contact to get a copy? I thought perhaps the Titanic Historical Society webpage would have it but I'm not too sure. Does anyone know if they do? I'd be greatful for any help.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions

Nathan

Oct 13, 2000
John is right, Abe is an awesome site to do book searches for out of print books. I don't think he has the correct hyperlink though. it should be:

http://www.abebooks. com/

Nathan, the THS on-line store is now open for business, but I did not see this book available in their inventory.

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Status
Not open for further replies.