Shipbuilder Reprints

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2000
A Facsimile Reprint of the Original 1911 Shipbuilder Publication, The White Star Triple-Screw Atlantic Liners Olympic and Titanic.

In celebration of the 90th anniversary of the launching of Titanic's sister ship Olympic, the Titanic Historical Society is printing a special facsimile reprint of the original Shipbuilder publication from 1911. This softcover edition is not the Ocean Liners of the Past reprint that has seen several printings since the 1970s. This is an exact replica of the original 1911 Shipbuilder Special Edition, and for the first time includes all the original editorial pages and advertisements. There is also a new foreword by THS Vice President Paul Louden-Brown.

The book is available exclusively from the Titanic Historical Society for $59.95. It should be available in January, 2001.

this information taken from my website (which also includes a link directly to the book on THS' homepage):

http://titanicbooksite.com/

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T.

Oct 13, 2000
Hi all,

Titanic the Great Lakes Connections by Cris Kohl is now available. Amazon.com & Barnes & Noble on-line will probably be carrying it shortly, but in the meantime you can order it directly from the publisher:

Seawolf Communications, 630-293-8996.

the regular softcover edition is $16.95; and there is also a hardcover limited edition for $35.

tell 'em the TitanicBookSite.com sent you.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

G

Gavin Murphy

Hardly a T book, but, hey, who said I knew what I was doing when it comes to computer stuff........ Now out:

"Losing the Empress: A Personal Journey" by David Creighton (Dundurn Press, 256 pages $22.99 Cdn.)

It is the story of Creighton's grandparents, Salvation Army officer David Creighton and his wife Bertha, who were lost in the Empress disaster and the author's attempt to come to terms with it. You may recall the author in Ballard's recent PBS doc. "Lost Liners".

Sorry for misplacing, but thought many of you folks would like to know, etc.

G

Dec 13, 1999
Hello Gavin,

Just ordered it yesterday - now there's a coincidence. I also heard from Commissioner Rees's grandson who filled me in on much of the family history. Fortunately, I was able to reciprocate with the details of their early life in England. Still working on the crew list for the local edition "Forgotten Empress" it's not an easy one though!

Regards

Geoff

G

Gavin Murphy

G,

Here's a thought.....and a scoop. Go to www.nepeanmuseum.on.ca and then to Library Lane directory. There is a pic there of mine of the Empress that has never been published before. You are welcome to use it in your local edition if you like. Also I can get examples of the mail retrived from the wreck...can't remember if mentioned in the book that you and DZ did.

Just let me know if this sort of stuff takes your fancy!

Regards,

G

Jun 4, 2000
Hello again all,

I thought some of you may be interested in this book. It’s not particularly new, but it’s certainly not well known and is not currently available outside Australia:

"I'll See You in New York" the Courage of a Survivor by David Haisman

This is a biography of Edith Brown Haisman by her youngest son David. He wrote the book in response to general interest in his mother’s story when he represented her at lectures associated with the Australian and New Zealand Titanic exhibitions. (David now lives in Australia.)

David has vivid memories of growing up in Southampton and knowing the families of Titanic victims and survivors. He was also in the merchant navy and has drawn on his own experience of sailing the North Atlantic in retelling his mother’s story and bringing it to life beyond that offered in James Pellow’s A Lifetime on the Titanic.

Full details on the book, CD (music and spoken word) and ordering are on his web sites: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~haisey/ or http://addr.com/~haisey Both sites have the same information. (By the way, even though the site is date 1999, the prices for the book, CD and the postal charges are current - just thought I’d let you know that I’ve already checked this.)

Oh, and I should add that David is a lovely bloke to deal with.
happy.gif

Cheers,

Fiona

With thanks to Joe, a contributor to the Historic Titanic Newsletter, for information on David's web site.

Oct 13, 2000
Hi all,

Susanne Stormers new book is now available. those bookoholics amongst you will know that one of her previous books was the biography of First Officer Murdoch, Goodbye, Good Luck; which has become impossible to find!

this new book is Titanic - Eine Katastrophe zwischen Kitsch, Kult und Legende.According to the author this book deals with the story of the Titanic since 1912. Legends are compared to eye-witness accounts, another chapter covers the changing way the world has viewed the story over the years, yet another takes a look at Cameron's movie and offers a differing point of view. The book is illustrated with photos of modern memorabilia.

For now, the book is only available in German, but the author promises she is hard at work on an English edition. There is a link on the New Book Alerts page on my website both to the author's webpage (again only in German at this time), as well as a link to the European book site Libre.de, which is in both English and German.

I tried to link directly to the search page, but the site keeps defaulting to their home page. To continue click on 'Suche' (search). Special note, it is best to search for her book by isbn number rather than her name, as the website uses the German accent in her last name, which is hard to recreate on Windows machines. The isbn number is 383111269X. The price is DM 24.80, roughly $11.33 in U.S. dollars.

I will post another notice when the English edition becomes available.

TitanicBookSite.com

M

Marilyn Burgess

I purchased a book at the Maritime Museum in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.

It is entitled The Sinking of The Titanic, Thrilling Stories of Survivors With Photographs and Sketches.

This book was originally published in 1912 and contains several inaccuracies because it was published before all the information concerning the disaster was known.

It has no listed author and is compiled mainly with information gathered at the time.

The dedication was the the 1635 people who lost their lives and to Captain E. J. Smith stating
"He Died That Others Might Live."

The book is published by Nimbus Publishing, Halifax Nova Scotia Canada and sells for $14.95 Canadian. You may also be able to order it from the Maritme Museum Of The Atlantic website.

Hope this is of interest to someone.

Shinyauto

M

Marilyn Burgess

Hi all:

Purchased a book in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada entitled The Sinking of The Titanic which has no author. It is based on personal testimony of Titanic survivors.

It was written immediately after the sinking when the trauma was at its peak.

This book is well worth a look has some great pictures and info.

It is available through Nimbus Publishing, Halifax, Nova Scotia or online through the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, Halifax.

Hope this is of interest to someone.

Shinyauto

N

Nicholas Westmarland

Who has got this book,edited by John Maxtone-Graham.A bit hard to find now as it is out of print,but I found it on www.abe.com website.It is an expensive book but well worth it as it has got a lot of technical data in it.A facsimile version of the Shipbuilder magazine from 1911 on the two ships.If anyone has got it,what are your thoughts on it ?

Nick.

B

Brian Hawley

Great book to have Nicholas, John Maxtone-Graham provides an amazingly good epilogue that is 33 pages long. I would say that just about anything Maxtone-Graham is involved in is worth buying. A fine fellow and a great public speaker

Brian

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I have this and three other books The Maxtone-Graham wrote or edited. Definately top notch IMO.

While the Shipbuilder was far from perfect, it is an essential primary source contemporary to the time. With so few books out that deal with technical details in depth, this one is a "must have".

Sep 8, 2000
Hey Nicholas,

I too have this book in my collection and very pleased with my purchase. I fell into the book on ebay for $21.00 and after winning it was amazed at the price!

Those in the New Jersey/New York area are fortunate having John Maxtone-Graham giving a talk at the Hoboken Historical Museum this month
and I plan on taking this and The Only Way to Cross along for signature.

Rosanne MacIntyre

N

Nathan Good

Hi all,

In my pursuit to purchase the shipbuilder 'Special Number' reprint I happened to come by a used copy on amazon.com for only 25$. The copy is the more recent 1988 publication with the John Maxtone-Graham epilogue. I have been in contact with the seller and she says it is in pristine condition, like new, or 'giftworthy'. I immediately attempted to purchase the book but amazon.com informed that they couldnt ship it to my address. I made other arrangements and purchased another copy from abe.com for much more money. The reason I am posting this, (other than assisting other members!) is because this woman e-mailed me today and said she would make sure that I got her book. However, my order from ABE had already shipped. I felt terrible and seemed obligated to attempt to refer potential buyers to her product. The seller promptly responded to all my inquiries and was prepared to sell privately. Unfortunately, my own impatience got in the way but she was a joy to deal with.

Its a real find for what I have seen to be a reasonable price.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/1852601051/used/ref=olp_pg_used/104-9244704-3195130

If anyone is interested, I hope this helps!

Nathan

Jan 7, 2002
There seem to have been several variations of the 1911 Olympic/Titanic Shipbuilders book..

There was a super rare softbound version of the book (which im working on getting), plus with the hardcover, there are some harcovers editions where the opening page (with a painting of Olympic) seems glued to a page, where in other copies that painting is a regular page unto itself.

So which version was the true first printing of the Olympic/titanic Shipbuilders book?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Apr 20, 2004
The Ocean Liners of the Past series reprinted the Olympic / Titanic souvenir issue in the 1970s, and again in 1990s. The reprints contained supplementary material.

My question is: Is the 1970s edition the same as the 1990s edition? The reason I ask is because I own only the 1990s edition, but I have heard somewhere that the editions contain different supplementary adverts.

I'd be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this.

Oct 13, 2000
Jason, the two versions I have are the 1970 edition by the New York Graphic Society (published in the UK by Patrick Stephens), and the 1988 Patrick Stephens edition.

There are four pages of ads in the 1970 edition that don't appear to be in the 1988 version. The main difference between the two editions, however, is that the epilogue is significantly longer in the later edition, 33 pages as opposed to just 13 pages in the earlier version.

I never got around to acquiring a copy of the latest reprint from 1995, so can't speak as to what is in that one, although I do know that it has the longer epilogue.

Apr 20, 2004
Thanks Michael

I just checked my version and it's a PSL publication dated September 1983. I don't know why I thought it was from the 1990s - must have confused it with something else in my collection. Anyway, it does have a most excellent 33 page long epilogue, and is in fact the 2nd edition.

Is it worth getting the 1st edtion just for those adds? I'm modeling an interior and I believe they contain lamps and switches used on Olympic and Titanic.

Regards

Oct 13, 2000
Jason, the ads in the 1970 edition include a full page ad for Thermos Decking, a ship repair yard, Swan fountain pens, and two small liner companies. Nothing about lamps or switches.

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Apr 20, 2004
Thanks very much for looking for me Michael. Someone had told me that the adverts that appeared in Guernsey's recent auction, mounted in wooden frames, (Perry & Co Lamps, Burt & Co Lamps, Willett Bruce Steam Whistle Control, Welin Davits, Furnace fronts & one or two more) were orignals that were reprinted in one of the editions of the book we're talking about. Unless they appeared in the 1990s edition, which neither of us have seen, then he must have been mistaken.

Can anyone shed any light on a source for these adverts?

Regards Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.