Shipbuilder Reprints

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ocean Liners of the Past series reprinted the Olympic / Titanic souvenir issue in the 1970s, and again in 1990s. The reprints contained supplementary material.

My question is: Is the 1970s edition the same as the 1990s edition? The reason I ask is because I own only the 1990s edition, but I have heard somewhere that the editions contain different supplementary adverts.

I'd be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this.

Jason, the two versions I have are the 1970 edition by the New York Graphic Society (published in the UK by Patrick Stephens), and the 1988 Patrick Stephens edition.

There are four pages of ads in the 1970 edition that don't appear to be in the 1988 version. The main difference between the two editions, however, is that the epilogue is significantly longer in the later edition, 33 pages as opposed to just 13 pages in the earlier version.

I never got around to acquiring a copy of the latest reprint from 1995, so can't speak as to what is in that one, although I do know that it has the longer epilogue.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Thanks Michael

I just checked my version and it's a PSL publication dated September 1983. I don't know why I thought it was from the 1990s - must have confused it with something else in my collection. Anyway, it does have a most excellent 33 page long epilogue, and is in fact the 2nd edition.

Is it worth getting the 1st edtion just for those adds? I'm modeling an interior and I believe they contain lamps and switches used on Olympic and Titanic.

Regards

Jason, the ads in the 1970 edition include a full page ad for Thermos Decking, a ship repair yard, Swan fountain pens, and two small liner companies. Nothing about lamps or switches.

best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Thanks very much for looking for me Michael. Someone had told me that the adverts that appeared in Guernsey's recent auction, mounted in wooden frames, (Perry & Co Lamps, Burt & Co Lamps, Willett Bruce Steam Whistle Control, Welin Davits, Furnace fronts & one or two more) were orignals that were reprinted in one of the editions of the book we're talking about. Unless they appeared in the 1990s edition, which neither of us have seen, then he must have been mistaken.

Can anyone shed any light on a source for these adverts?

Regards Jason

A-HA! Jason, I think I know where the confusion is. I'm almost positive that at least some of the adverts you are talking about are found in Mark Warren's book, Distinguished Liners from the Shipbuilder 1906-1914, Volume 1. 1st printing thus. NY: Blue Riband Publications. 1995. hardcover. isbn: 0964815303.

This book includes a selection of various articles from original Shipbuilder issues, and it includes many of the original adverts as they appeared in those magazines. Unlike the Ocean Liners of the Past series, which have very few original ads, Warren's book has quite a few, about 65 or so. There is even an index to advertisers.

There were actually two volumes in this series. Check out the following link for more details:

http://www.titanicbooksite.com/beyond_warren.html

I'm willing to bet that the person was thinking of Warren's book and mentioned the other by mistake.

all the best, Michael (TheManInBlack) T

Thanks Michael, for solving that mystery. Those titles have been on my wants list for a while. I have all Mark D. Warrens other "reprint" books - and recently I was lucky enough even to get an original edition of Campania / Lucania from 1893. But Mark's two Volumes on "Distingushed liners" have eluded me. About two years ago, I came accross a pair on a US bookshop website, but I wasn't able to afford them at the time - I think they were asking about 150GBP each for them. When I became rich again I employed a book search service, to no avail, and I've had a favourite search running on ebay for about 1 year - nothing there either. I guess they are bound to crop up somwhere sooner or later. Perhaps I've just been looking in the wrong places.

All the best

[Moderator's Note: About half a dozen different threads discussing the various Shipbuilder reprints have been merged to form this one. MAB]

The 1911 shipbuilder Olympic / Titanic special is now available (an exact reprint with fold out plans)from titanic1911.com. Previous reprints eg 1970, 1988, have missed out certain adverts etc, and for the first time since 1911 this is an exact copy. I've ordered mine today! sorry if there was already a thread but I couldn't find one open.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread in a different subtopic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread discussing the Shipbuilder reprints. MAB]

Status
Not open for further replies.