Shipping NoticeNew York Times Monday 15th April1912

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martin Edwards

Can anyone confirm or deny that a shipping notice appeared in the New York Times,on Monday 15th April,1912 confirming Titanic's arrival on Tuesday 16th? I am aware of the connection in Riddle of the Titanic,and the reference from which the authors obtained their source,(British Titanic Society journal).Any help with this one greatly appreciated

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
I can confirm it. I have a copy of the article at home and will post it tonight. It says that a message had been received from Titanic before the collision, to the effect that she would arrive in New York on Tuesday, 16 April.

MAB

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
On Monday, 15 April 1912, the day before it ran its famous, page-wide headline (http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/big/0415.html) the Times devoted almost a half-page to the early reports of Titanic's collision, under a three-column headline reading:

NEW LINER TITANIC HITS AN ICEBERG;
SINKING BY THE BOW AT MIDNIGHT;
WOMEN PUT OFF IN LIFE BOATS;
LAST WIRELESS AT 12:27 A.M. BLURRED

Its coverage that day includes the following paragraph:

The last report reveived in New York from the Titanic was at 2:15 A. M. yesterday. She was 1,284 miles east of Sandy Hook, and in that message her commander said that he expected to reach New York in time to dock late to-morrow afternoon.

MAB

Status
Not open for further replies.