Shipwrecks found on Newport harbour floor with sidesonar

rob scott

May 4, 2004
I crashed (activeX??!) typing this, why did lookin up spelling in google of 'primeival' bring up some activeX crash in my face? uugh - so lets see if I can do it again?
Four ships deliberately sunk by British to protect 1776 Newport base against French attack, found; one is Endeavor, Cook's first Pacific explore ship; renamed for America war Lord Sandwich after first lord of admiralty.
Read it in LiveScience
http://www.livescience.com/history/060516_ship_wreck.html
I luv it when these new days they find more historic ships for our knowledge, now if they can only find 1841's President, and 1856's Pacific, slumbering on those primeival Atlantic bottoms? ;)

Apr 11, 2001
This is front page news today-Newport is all agog- one ship would be great to find- but 4 is the mother lode! I understand the ships have a good intact selection of textiles, which I hope my conservation class at the state university will get to examine.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Well....we don't know yet for certain that one of the vessels found is the Lord Sandwich (formerly the Endeavour) - let alone which one! There's a tremendous amount of work still to be done on these sites, but it's been great to see how much enthusiasm the finds have generated worldwide. The Australian National Maritime Museum has been working with RIMAP for years on this exciting project.

J

Jon Meadows

Did anyone take the Titanic quiz linked to the article? Some good questions. But the ending is extremely tacky...if you get 13 - 15 questions correct, consider yourself a captain; 12-13 a first mate; 10-13 a sailor. Less than 10, "you go down with the ship". Why is humor today so tacky?

Michael lowe

Apr 2, 2006
What newport are you guys talking about? Newport America, Isle of Wight or Newport, South Wales?

Take her to sea Mr Murdoch, lets stretch her legs

rob scott

May 4, 2004
if you look in the article, you see it says 'newport harbour... making Rhode Island home to...' so it's Newport Rhode Island. I used to live on the north part of the island at Portsmouth while daddy went to the navy war college for command officers at Newport; it's also home to the 'gold coast' of 'cottages' of the industrial richie set of mansions.
The British made the large and useful harbour of Newport their main navy base while Gen. Clinton held NYNY as his GHQ, and the French Gen. Count Rochambeau used the area too for marshalling his troops up to aid the continental Americans in their late drives of George Washington.
The British sank some of their ships as blocks to thwart the attacking French navy ships of that French navy admiral supporting Rochambeau.
happy.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
if you look at a map of the United States, it is the extremely small state that sits between Connecticut and Massachussetts.