Shipyards to get $145billion deal

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Times Colonist:
quote:

Shipyards to get $1.45-billion deal
Contract to work on military subs 'unbelievable,' company says.

Kim Westad, Times Colonist; with files from The Canadian Press
Published: Friday, January 12, 2007
A $1.45-billion contract to maintain Canada's four submarines at Victoria Shipyards could provide decades of work for hundreds of new employees and make Victoria a key training centre for the industry.

"It's absolutely unbelievable," Victoria Shipyards vice-president Malcolm Barker said last night. "It's going to take the Canadian shipbuilding industry to a whole new level. I think it's the most exciting time I've seen in shipbuilding."

Although the contract has not officially been awarded, a spokesman for the federal government said yesterday that Canadian Submarine Management Group, a consortium that includes Victoria Shipyards, has been selected to do the work on the fleet of four troubled Victoria-class submarines.

According to CSMG's bid, the vessels will be maintained at Victoria Shipyards in Esquimalt.
For the rest of the story, go to http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=83108a3c-b4b1-4d95-b123-54aafd35adee&k=10764

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Great.

The Canadian government is going to spend 1.45 BILLION maintaining 4 subs that sink when you try and submerge them.

I would rather see the money better spent to build new subs.

Canada got taken to the cleaners when we bought those subs from Her Majesty's Navy.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I think the idea is to make sure they come up when you want them to. I don't see the Canadian government as being willing to pony up the cash for brand new boats. They've already invested too much time and money in the ones they have now. There's nothing wrong with the design in and of itself. Unfortunately, several years in layup meant that some things deteriorated and they've been playing catch up ball ever since.

Jack Devine

Jan 23, 2004
When the RN decided to mothball the Upholder class, the powers that be were not going to spend their limited maintenance funds on some boats that they would never use again. From their perspective, it was a reasonable decision. Canada may not have been entirely taken to the cleaners, but you got much more of a "handyman's special" than you expected. Paying for a deep overhaul to fix all the problems would probably be cheaper than designing and building new vessels from scratch.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Paying for a deep overhaul to fix all the problems would probably be cheaper than designing and building new vessels from scratch.<<

I'm sure that this is what they have in mind. There are now much more capable boats out there. The advent of fuel cells, and other non-nuclear air independant technologies are literally revolutionizing conventional submarine propulsion, and the latest German designs are presently leading the pack. They are among the very quietest boats in service anywhere in the world. However, the one thing these boats are not is cheap!

Jim Hathaway

Dec 18, 2004
Part of Canada's problem with the boats is Britain did not operate them for long before they were retired, so there were unknowns with them as well as problems brought on by storage.
The Oberons were well proven boats before Canada got them, so there were not many surprises with them.
The choice of Victoria surprised me, is'nt most of the class going to be based on the east coast?

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Jim

It's called patronage.

The current government has to keep the conservative seats that they have on the west coast. I think they think it's easier to do that than try and gain seats in Atlantic Canada.

But then I'm not the cynical type.
happy.gif

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
An to let yo know how the Navy has been ignored recently, with all the concentration on the Afghanistan committment, they had to cancel a frigate's patrol of the Grand Banks last week because the Navy ran out of money.

Makes you want to scream!!!!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
The latest news on the above from The Times Colonist:

Submarine deal biased, says bidder
quote:

East Coast shipyard heads to court over $1.5-billion contract won by group that includes Victoria Shipyards
Sandra McCulloch, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, March 31, 2007
An East Coast shipyard that lost the military's 15-year, $1.5-billion submarine maintenance contract to a B.C. consortium is asking the Federal Court for a judicial review of the process.

Irving Shipbuilding filed legal documents in Ottawa on Feb. 9, suggesting that the awarding of the contract to Canadian Submarine Management Group of B.C., which includes Victoria Shipyards in Esquimalt, was biased and unfair because of a conflict of interest.

Irving and Fleetway Inc. are both named as applicants in the legal action -- they were potential sub-contractors for a bid put forward by BAE Systems.
For the rest of the story, go to http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/story.html?id=56e0f9dc-27d7-4ed5-85f3-54328246024d&k=68892