Sign the guestbook

K

Kirstin Lydon

Re: Oldest survivor of Titanic dead at 100

What a sad time it must have been for her when she survived the Titanic and knowing her father didn't.

M

MR NEIL CARTER

Re: Eino Viljam Panula IT SEEMS AFTER ALL THESE YEARS IT HAS BEEN FOUND BY NEW DNA EVIDENCE THAT THE "UNKNOWN CHILD" GRAVE HAS MASTER SIDNY GOODWIN BURIED IN IT .

W

William Silverthorn, 8th cousin to Spencer

Re: Spencer Victor Silverthorne

My sources agree with all of this except for two items. Spencer was born in Komoko, Middlesex County, Ontario and his brothers name was Ernest Lionel Vincent Silverthorne. He also had other brothers and sisters, who he outlived all BUT his brother Ernest who lived until 1966. This is all considering only his full blood siblings, and not the half brothers and sisters that he had from his father (Daniel)'s second marriage.

I would love to hear from anyone who has different facts than the above.

Aug 3, 2007
Re: Spencer Victor Silverthorne
There are a few errors in this biography. Although Spencer immigrated with his family to Michigan by the age of 3 (as recorded in the 1880 census of Eureka, Malcolm Co., MI), he was clearly born in Ontario Canada (as also documented in this same census. ED 232, SD 13 p2). My records show his birth was Komoko, Middlesex County, Ontario but I need to check my source on that.

Secondly, he had more than one brother, he had four: Arthur, Ernest, Bertram & George, only George being younger. He also had a sister named Isabelle. This info is clearly documented in the same 1880 census record listed above. His two oldest brothers (Arthur & Bertram) were born in England, immigrating to Canada with his parents. Spencer, as well as his brother Ernest and sister Isabel, were born in Ontario. Their youngest brother, George, was born in Michigan.

Much of the rest of this detail is overkill for an article that is focused on the Titanic, but to be biographically accurate, I will also provide the following on Spencer:

Spencers father wed a second time (1888) when he was only twelve, so Spencer also had four additional half-brothers and two half-sisters from that marriage.

Passenger lists also show that Spencer had made many cross atlantic passenger trips, both before and after the 1912 Titanic voyage:

MAURETANIA, Arrival Date: 28 Mar 1908 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England, Port of Arrival: NY, NY Line: 14 Microfilm Serial: T715 Microfilm Roll: T715_1086 Page Number: 12
AMERIKA, Departure: Cherbourg, France Arrival: 8 Apr 1913 - NY,NY
SV Silverthorne, age 36, born Greenville, MI
LUSITANIA, Departure: Liverpool, England Arrival: 17 Apr 1914 - NY,NY
SV Silverthorn, age 37y6m, b. Greenville, MI
ADRIATIC, Departure: Cherbourg Arrival: 25 Jun 1920 - NY, NY
age 45y3m, b. Greenville, MI

Two trips were recorded with his wife Gertrude as well:
BALTIC, Departure: Liverpool, England Arrival: 24 Apr 1923 - NY, NY
Spencer, age 46, b. Greenville, MI, 17-Oct-1876
traveling with wife Gertrude, age 28, b. Pryorsberg, KY 12/Mar/1895

MAJESTIC, Departure: Southampton, England Arrival: 19 Jun 1928 - NY,NY. SV Silverthorne, 51, b Oct 17, 1876, Greenville, MI, wife Gertrude Silverthorne, 32, b. Mar 12, 1896, Pryorsberg, KY

Loryn Potroz

Aug 6, 2007
Re: Athenic
My Dad Sailed from England on the Athenic in Nov.1905,arriving in N.Z Jan 1906.Fascintated to see what it looked like!
Lorrie

Mario

Nov 26, 2009
Re: Sidney Leslie Goodwin

Since July 2007 the body of the "Unknown Child" buried in a grave at Halifax Cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia is identified as being that of Sideny Leslie Goodwin.
So his body was indeed recovered but not known were it was buried.

D

Deirdre Mullen

Re: Katherine "Katie" Mullen

".. She came from Esker, Co Longford". This statement does not agree with the summary. Unless there were two Kate Mullen's on E-deck, the biography is incorrect.

Katherine (Kate) Mullen was my great aunt. She came from Rhyne, Killoe in County Longford, Ireland. She entered New York on the Carpathia. Her last place of residence is listed in the Ellis Island record as 'Rhynekillock' (a clear misinterpretation of 'Rhyne, Killoe').

S

Stane Crane

Re: West Country People In The Titanic

Is this the same Goodwin family involved in the recent identification of Sidney? If so, what is the connection between the article from Melksham and the family home reported to be Fulham?

K

Kendra

Re: Timothy J. McCarthy
Timothy J. McCarthy was my great grandfather. We actually have in our family a letter that he wrote to his children about his impending voyage on the Titanic. It is excellent to see this and be a part of history.

Reactions: julie skehen
Aug 5, 2007
Re: Fatima Mousselmani

I received this Fwd from my friend which might be helpful

> During my research work, I have recently been able to track down the
> following story. The Titanic, which sank in 1912, carried at least three
> Shi'is, Fatima Masselmany and her two cousins, Mustafa Nasr and Yousef
> Wazni. Fatima came from Tibnin in Lebanon whereas her cousins, who died on
> the ship, came from Bint Jbeil. All were headed for Michigan City, Indiana
> where, even in 1912, there was a thriving Shi'i community.
> An article by Henry Lange of the News Dispatch of April 15, 1980 shows a
> photograph of Fatima Masselmany who survived the disaster and told her
> story
> to many in Michigan City and later on to the residents of Dearborn. Last
> week, I met with residents of Dearborn who confirmed the story.
> The article quotes Fatima's niece Janette Goutimy as stating that her aunt
> shed many tears over the way her cousins died. Fatima was seventeen years
> old when she arrived in Michigan City a few days after the disaster and
> lived with her brother Allie Masselmany on Wabash Street. A well known
> person in the community, Fatima later moved to Dearborn where she
> purchased
> a property.
>

E

Emma Pengilly

Re: Pengelly (Pengilly) Family Information

I am very sorry Mr Steve Coombes - but you have made a mistake. The man you are describing here is my Great Grandfather and he did not die on the Titanic. If my Great Grandfather had died on the Titanic then most of my family would not exist. My Great Grandather was Frederick William Cardell Pengilly born Calstock, Cornwall in 1892 (his father was indeed Charles (an Arsenic manufacturer), his mother Elizabeth Jane Carkeek, his sisters were Elizabeth Myra and Gwendoline May. The man I believe actually died on the Titanic was Frederick William Pengelly (also of Calstock, Cornwall). Note the slightly different spelling of the surname.
Maybe you want to revisit your contribution?
Regards
Emma Pengilly

E

Emma Pengilly

Re: Pengelly (Pengilly) Family Information

Sorry - in my haste to correct you I managed to get it wrong myself... Frederick William Cardell Pengilly was my Great Great Grandather born 1861, married to Elizabeth Jane Carkeek in 1891 - their son was Frederick Carkeek Pengilly born 1892. He had 2 sisters Elizabeth Myra and Gwendoline May. He emigrated to the US on 26 August 1911 (see Ellis Islands records- under the mis-spelling Pengelly) and was already in the US when the Titanic sunk. He was married in Miami, Gila, Arizona to Phillippa Mary Blanche Cole in 1919 - my grandfather also Frederick Carkeek Pengilly being born a year later - therefore he did not die on the Titanic.

Frederick William Pengelly who did die on the Titanic is not the son of Frederick William Cardell and Elizabeth Jane.

Emma Pengilly

D

drian Waring

Re: Samuel James Hayden Sobey

I have a check from the Titanic Relief Fynd paid out to Mr R Sobey dated the 30th Feb 1917.If someone would like a scan of it email me at adrianpwaring@hotmail.com and I will provide such.

R

Richard Coplen

Re: Sidney Leslie Goodwin

Please note that it has since been confirmed that Sidney Goodwin is the "Unknown Child" in Halifax. This has been confirmed through DNA testing and an analysis of shoes worn on his body. Initially thought to be the body of Eino Panula, the "Unknown child" is now known to be Sidney Goodwin.

C

claudette mainer

Re: Elizabeth Agnes Mary Davies Our mother's maiden name was White with a uncle named John Logan White. My grandfather, Edgar Willard White, was born in Arkansas and arrived in Texas at age 5 about 1900. We were wondering about any relationship to Elizabeth's family.

Thank you,
Claudette Mainer

V

VONNIE

Re: Titanic Survivors Recall the "Night to Remember"

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF COUNSELING OR THERAPY IF ANY DID ANY OF THE SURVIVORS RECEIVED AFTER THE TITANIC TRAGEDY. PLEASE EMAIL TO ME ANY REFERENCES ON THAT SUBJECT THANK YOU

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Vonnie, other then being consoled by friends, family, and perhaps the minister/pastor/rabbi of their respective churches and synagogues, it's not likely these people recieved any counseling or tharapy at all.

it was a very different age in this respect. These days, there are counselors for everything. Back then, you were more or less expected to get over it and move on.

S

sashka pozzetti

Miss Francatelli described the disorientation of gong out in public, when she arrived in New York after being rescued. Lucile, Cosmo and she were hard to separate, and kept together in the Hotel.. When she went out she said she was treated like a hero, but she felt sick, and wanted to go home. She said that she didn't think she would take any of her clothes off on the way home for fear of what might happen. Years later she got upset about what people said, and wrote to Lord Beaverbrook when the paper published an article she didn't agree with. She kept trying to get her point of view across, and tried to help films with the facts, as she knew people in Hollywood. She was still frustrated as an elderly widow, and tried to get free passage to the USA to sort out her personal affairs as she had never received a penny, and seemed very let down. Her description of the actual escape in 1912 is that she was extremely frightened, particularly in the lifeboat. :)

K

Kathy Patterson

Re: WILLIAM DICK DIES; AN INDUSTRIALIST

I grew up with Derexa & Will Dick, Jr. My grandfather was the head caretaker of their estate in Islip, Long Island, NY. All holidays were celebrated with the Dick's.