Sign the guestbook

C

Christina Hyde-Hulbert

Could anyone tell me how I can find a list of all the employees who worked on the building of the Titanic at Harland & Wolff in Belfast please. I have reason to believe that my great grandfather may have worked on the construction of the ship. Thank you. Christina.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Could anyone tell me how I can find a list of all the employees who worked on the building of the Titanic at Harland & Wolff in Belfast please.<<

Since Harland & Wolff never kept such a list in the first place, that would present quite a problem. Employees were seldom ever assigned to a specific ship to the exclusion of all others. They were sent where needed as needed on a day to day basis.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Christina. Michael is correct. H & W receives queries about workers from 1912 and has stated that no lists of workers exist.

It's just possible that you may find something in old newspapers in Belfast, or in private letters. You'd need to be on the spot.

A

Andrew Sanders

Re: RMS Olympic: Another Premature Death?

Well done Mark!

Andrew Sanders

D

Durr

I have several original postcards in my collection.
Know someone interested in buying?

T

trina ruby

christopher mils crew survivor was a lodger at my great grandparents mr and mrs p cotten 94 albert rd southampton.Their daughter may went to see the titanic sail on her maiden voyage.Her father worked at the docks and was called curly cotten

T

trina ruby

hi. all christopher mills crew survivor was picked up in collapsible lifeboat c,was there any photos of this lifeboat,does anybody no what happened to christopher afterwards or where his two children lived possible in southampton or did he carry on with his occupation on the ocean liners new york to southampton

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hallo, Trina. After the Titanic Christopher Mills did continue working at sea as a butcher into the 1920s, by which time he would have reached retirement age. He served mainly on Cunard liners sailing between Southampton and New York.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Re Could you be an Extra Master.
Dave,
The answer to that is a resounding yes. Holders of the pre 1995 1st Mate's Certificate would certainly qualify on the grounds of your posted example curriculum. 2nd mate only misses because it does not deal with great circle sailing but stars were included in the curriculum for that certificate as well In fact, The Navigation Part for Master Mariner is fairly minor and is virtually a re-cap of what was required for 2nd Mate and 1st Mate. Great Circle and Composite Great Circle calculations were the domain of 1st Mate. Books which illustrate this clearly are Nicholls's Concise Guides Volumes 1 and 2. Volume 2 deals with Great Circle problems. Extra Master is now extinct. Until recently it was more of an academic than practical examination and was usually gained by those wishing to teach. They were divide in two parts.

Sailorjim

Dec 6, 2000
Re: Problem with Message Boards?

For the last week or two, I have had a problem getting into the ET Message Boards.

I enter my user name and password, as I usually do, to see the new messages since the last time I was in ET. The upper portion of the screen looks as normal (black letters on white background), but after a few items like this, the color shifts to dark blue letters on a black background - in other words, almost unreadable!

I note today that the bad screen starts at the topic "Life on Board". I am having the problem on two separate computers, both of which are running Internet Explorer 6.0.

Any help would be appreciated.

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hi Bill,

Please try clearing the cache on your browser, see if you can force it to reload the style sheet. Also is using PC CTRL and F5 sometimes works. I have had reports of similar problems but cannot replicate it.

Phil

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Dear Phil,

I too am having the same problem as Bill, as well as the whole site looking differently (other than the home page - fonts and search functions are unusual), the inability to sign out and most annoyingly the site(?) - causing my pc to freeze. I tried what you suggested with no result. And, as for years now, I do not get personal messages.

Best,
Eric

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
No problems here! For a few days, the layout of the forum was not quite right, but it was quite usable. Now it is spot on.

I'm using Firefox 3.

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
What browser are you using? Is you can email me screenshots it would also help.

I have tested this on all modern browsers and have no problems so it is hard to detect what is going wrong without more information.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Phil, have you tested with high screen resolutions? My problem is that the pages are not now extending to the full screen width as they have done in the past. They appear as approximately 1000 pixels wide, leaving the rest of the screen (to the right) as empty space (my screen resolution is 1680 wide). I'm using Firefox right now, but it's the same with Internet Explorer. I know of a couple of other members with high res and/or wide screens who are having the same problem.

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
That is not a problem... it is intentional, you have to decide whether you are going to go for fixed margins or elastic margins. In the days when screens were not hi-res stretchy was OK because it was never going to be all that wide, nowadays with widescreen monitors etc the pages can be stretched so wide that each sentence is a foot long. The site analytics suggest that 90% of users are using the 1024 pixel resolution or similar and therefore the site has been set to fit exactly that resolution but to be readable in higher res, I use a lot higher res myself.

Another issue is that it is a lot easier to design for the page if you know how many pixels you have to play with. stretchy margins make it impossible.

Whatever way you go it is a compromise.