Sign the guestbook

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
It not only locks my computer, when I try to use the 'edit post' function, but does so so completely that the computer itself can only be shut down by turning the d*mned thing off via the surge guard.

Now, on my laptop I get half a screen and the d*mned hourglass icon which, in my case, indicates that SOMETHING is loading which never gets there. But, at least the laptop can be turned off by normal means.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
The site IS often slow to process things ~ at least for me. Sometimes, after writing a post, I hit "Preview/Post Message" and then "Post this Message", only to have this site freeze. I'm just glad that I often compose my messages in Word first, and then copy & paste them.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I think if you have a freeze or some other problem on the site you should e-mail me with specific details of what page you were on, the browser and version you are using and any error message that shows up.

As a rule of thumb though please ensure that you are using the most up to date version of your browser, this is not simply to bypass the problem, although it might help, but simply from a security point of view.

The site has been tested top to bottom in IE 7, Firefox 3 and Safari 3.1 and it isn't slow, in fact it's quicker than it used to be, and it does not cause lock-us.

I'll do some more testing on other machines and see if I can't track down this bug.

Dec 6, 2000

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Hi Lester, those three should work now, the last was a duff link and the first two for some reason got truncated.

Phil

Dec 6, 2000
Phil - thanks for talking to us about this.

I'd be glad to send you a screen print of the problem, however, clicking on your name and trying to paste the print into the e-mail doesn't seem to work. I'm at work now, and don't have all the extra things I have at home, so I'm kinda stuck. And I'm going on vacation pretty quick, so not much time to do anything.

If there are still problems when I get back, I'll send you something from home in a week.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
To those having problems with the site. Do the problems occur throughout the site or just on the message board?

Many thanks

Phil

Dec 6, 2000
Phil - all the problems I've seen are just on the Message Board. However, I haven't been looking much elsewhere.

In addition to the odd coloration I reported on the Search Results page (I come in as New since last logon), I sometimes lock up solid, once the Search Results page comes up. And the only way out is to force close the browser. I use Internet Explorer 6.0 on both of my machines.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Avoiding the search page and last day etc do the other pages look normal? For example if you come straight to this message page?

Thanks

Phil

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
The problem seems to be only with internet explorer 6 and older, let me know if you are using a different browser and it is still broken. I thing I know what is causing the problem though it shouldn't *be* a problem, it is IE that is broken not the site! However I'll be looking into a workaround.

Eric Longo

Aug 13, 2004
Thanks Phil - all seems well! If I can get my user ID altered finally from Mauretania19061935 to Mauretania19061936 I'll truly be heaven!

Many thanks - all is working fine!
happy.gif

Best wishes,
Eric

A

Andrew Williams

Philip Hind -- Apologises for adding more headaches. I am going through a lot of trouble trying to "Log-in" and Log-out" of your message board.

Any one else gone through the same sort of aggro as I have?

Any ideas on what one should do?

A.W.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I am not aware of any problems.

I am working on an integrated Registration, login logout process that will hopefully make it all easier than it is now but that is not active yet.

Phil