Sign the guestbook

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
I am not aware of any problems.

I am working on an integrated Registration, login logout process that will hopefully make it all easier than it is now but that is not active yet.

Phil

Matthew Farr

Apr 14, 2010
Lansing, Michigan, United States
Philip,
I looked at the FAQ tab in the public topics and in the "Click here for various Titanic FAQS" thread there are a couple of links that are bad. The "Titanic Information Site" link goes to a site that does not appear to be Titanic related anymore and the Titanic Historical Society link gives a site not found error message.

Just wanted to make you aware of this if you were not already.

Regards
Matthew A. Farr

P

Peter S. Lewis

Hello,I am Peter S.lewis of Bidford-on-Avon. I have been looking through this site and noticed that one contributor is Nicholas Jardine-Patterson, and I wondered if this gentleman is the same person who has in the past communicated with me in relation to the Stratford & Midland Junction Railway? I would be pleased to hear from him again.

Thank you. Peter S.Lewis

May 3, 2005
Hello, Lester-
(Quote):
>>Helen was not onboard. From Margaret's biography on this web-site: "At the last minute Helen decided to stay behind in London."<<

Is there any information on the whereabouts of Margaret's son Lawrence Palmer Brown or Mr.J.J. at that time ?
I assume they were both elsewhere ?

"All I know is what I read in the paper and that's my excuse for ignorance" - Will Rogers

Same goes for information on Mrs. J.J. Brown from the movies. LOL.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Philip,

You probably got an e-mail from me recently with an article attached. I tried using the quick posting form but all I kept getting was a blank page. Hence the e-mail

Jim.

Jessie Poncin

Jan 8, 2009
I just typed a message and it said i didn't include and activation key.. I never received one and don't know what it is.. I'm going to try and post my message again here..I wanted everyone to know that D.E. Bristow is my cousin and she has never received any money for her books on the titanic. Her so called agent promised he'd sell them for her now she can't reach him and never received any money for them. she is currently working on her final titanic book which should be finished by the end of February. anyone wanting to get in touch with her her email address is diticat03@aol.com

Jan 6, 2009
hello everybody! i am really fascinated about the titanic, so fascinated that i read over 75 books about it... anyways i was wondering so you know how the titanic sank on april 15 1912 well on what date did it touch the ocean floor? thank-you so much.

allan gillard

Jan 27, 2009
Hi,
Looking for anyone who has an interest in George Henry Green.I am a descendent of his and would like more info or anyone related to him to please contact.
regards,Allan.

Sep 9, 2004
Hello All-- I just wanted to make a suggestion to all "Titanicologists" (my own word)
out there that if you get the chance- go hear Mr. Charles Haas speak on the Titanic!! I was thrilled to be able to attend two of his lectures this weekend! It was fascinating to hear about his diving to the Titanic experiences!! He is a very nice man and was patient with all the audience's questions-answering each with depth!!
I got to meet him and had him sign a book for me--seeing as how it was my birthday--what a FABULOUS gift to myself huh?!!!!!!!
happy.gif

Thanks again Mr. Haas-- YOU made my day!!!
Vickey Gearring
Boise, Idaho

Mar 9, 2008
I am painting a picture of the `Titanic` after she left Southern Ireland. Can anyone tell me what the weather was like that day and the approximate time the `Titanic` would have been out of sight of land? i.e in daylight, dusk, after dark etc. Many thanks.

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
hello Richard,

Titanic would have been near Fastnet Rock around 3:30 pm on the afternoon. She would have altered her course then and started to lose sight of the low -lying shoreline itself by close to 4:pm. However, I understand the weather was fine at that time with a clear atmosphere.
The land near the coast in that part of the world is fairly low and rocky. However, it rises steeply to almost a thousand feet within about 10 -15 miles north of the coast.
Given Titanic's bridge height, I would have thought that people looking toward the coast would have been able to see the hills for quite a time after leaving the coast. It was mid spring so there would be light until after 7 pm but since the source of the light was to the south of westward and the hills were to the north - I would expect that all sight of land would have gone by 5-30:pm that evening. Just an educated guess. Perhaps there's a more accurate source elsewhere.

Dieter Klimow

Sep 24, 2006
Richard,

in his book 'The Maiden Voyage', Geoffrey Marcus has written (among other things) about the Titanic arriving at, and then leaving, Queenstown.
There are many details that could be interesting to you, not only regarding the weather.

"Late in the forenoon of Thursday, April 11th, the Titanic came within sight of the Irish coast. ... It was another fine April day, but rather too cold for sitting out on deck."

"...or strolled about the glass-sheltered promenade decks, while, across a smooth, sunlit sea, the south coast of Ireland unrolled itself mile by mile."

"Her true course when she took her departure from the Fastnet on that evening, Thursday, April 11th, was S. 68° W. The weather was fine and clear, with moderate winds from the west-south-west."

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
Hi Deiter!

This fits perfectly with Titanic passing along the south coast of Ireland from 2:20 in the
after noon of the 11th/ until she got to Fastnet Rock where she indeed then headed south of west. Don't know where the 'late in the afternoon' bit fits though?

Dieter Klimow

Sep 24, 2006
Jim,
it was "late in the forenoon" when "the Titanic came within sight of the Irish coast" on her way from Cherbourg.
Not strictly the time and place Richard has asked about, but I wanted to show a few examples of details in the book that might be interesting or inspiring to him.