Sign the guestbook

Sep 9, 2004
Thanks Kyrila--I just couldn't think of any other word that describes what I do with my Titanic passion--So I decided to make one up for myself!! People ask me what a Titanicologist is/does and I just say I study the Titanic's history and her people! How easy is that!!
(ps--I like to call myself a "Titanic nut", but that just doesn't have the respect that "Titanicologist" has!!
Don't you agree?
happy.gif

"A berg in her bottom would make her drink-
enough in a couple of hours to sink."

Dieter Klimow

Sep 24, 2006
I really don't need respect that badly.

The word makes me think of a man who is too short, I really can't say why.

I prefer, strongly, 'Titaniac': It has more of the irresistible and unpredictable, somewhat out of control sometimes.

E

ermin rekic

Hello,

I can prove that my grandfather was on the Titanic and that his name Rekić Ejdo. My Dad was named after him.
He was buried in Bosanska Krupa Ostružnica.

I had a radio interview with some houses and I got a book of 100 years of Bosniac in America that says about my great-grandfather.

For those who do not believe here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IcESd-43zM

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Unfortunately, youtube, in and of itself, doesn't prove much of anything. Now, if the name appeared on the crew sign in lists for the voyage, that would be compelling. If the man worked under an alias (It was known to happen) and there was documentary evidence to the effect, that would be useful as well.

Really need some opinions on this....and not yet able to pay to post... Sorry Phil. Hopefully this doesn't get me in trouble..... :/ I found this video on youtube awhile ago, lost it, and just recently found it again. Maybe someone can give me some insight.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLkYJPtWvSA
In the video, at 4:15 it shows some survivors "demonstrating" the lifebelts, i'm assuming, anyways if you direct your attention to the gentlemen in the middle, he has bandages on his head. It seems he passes out, then they refilm it without the man with the bandages. It makes me wonder what happened to this man. And why they simply re-filmed it. Granted its a silent film, but it still bothers me, and has since I first saw it.

Thanks,
Kendra

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
If I remember right there's a longer version of that clip in which it's clear that the stewards are engaged in horseplay and having some fun in front of the cameras. The rather theatrical swooning is probably part of that. It might seem odd that these men would make light of their recent experiences, but that's human nature.

Codus Lionel

Oct 11, 2006
Marseille " FRANCE "
A very good year in 2010 and especially a very good health to all members.

Hello to all

I just want to wish a Happy New Year 2010 and especially a very healthy at all.

I hope this year will bring new information on all ships of the time.

Good evening.

Regards all.

Ann Roberts

Jan 9, 2010
Bought Gary Cooper's biography 'E.J.' published by Lulu. The book is full of interesting facts but he doesn't list his sources! Very frustrating for anyone trying to check the details. Is he a member of this group? (I'm new) Or can anyone help me get in touch with him?
Thanks

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hello Ann,

Welcome aboard.

Gary is a member of this forum and he does post from time to time. Click here for the thread with regards to his book and you will notice that the first message in that thread belongs to him. Click on his name to access his profile and you can send him an e-mail that way.

As I have been effected by the economy, I have been unable to obtain the membership fees, so I am forced to ask my question here. Sorry to all that this puts out.... I have recently been told of a woman that survived the sinking, and in the typical fashion the mother lived and the father died in the sinking. This woman claims to have been sixteen at the time of the sinking, the thing that intrigues me is she lived in my area and was wondering if I could find articles about her once I discover her name. I have very limited information, but the source is very reliable, and i am willing to accept the possibility that the woman was lying but the source claims she wouldn't expect that from her. I know that this is one of those obnoxious questions, that is located in the wrong spot, and extremely vague. The area that I live in is Idaho. Please email me with any addition questions.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Kendra.... once you have the name, check out the online newspaper files at Google to see what comes up.

What comes to mind is the Collyers, who were en route to Payette, Idaho. Father died; mother lived. I vaguely seem to recall that Mr. Collyer was joining his brother there ~ perhaps this woman was related to the brother and over the years the story mutated.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It certainly wasn't Mrs Collyer or her daughter, as aside from being the wrong ages they gave up on the prospect of emigration and returned to England within weeks of reaching New York. I believe they were the only family heading for Idaho, but of course there could be other survivors who moved there later on in their lives. Sounds like you're close to getting a name, Kendra, but otherwise look at all female survivors who fit the bill in respect of (approximate) age and the fate of other family members. There aren't many.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
What you might do is hit the local microfilm room.

April 15 tended to draw TITANIC MEMORIAL articles. Up 'til A Night to Remember, they tended to appear at 5 year intervals, and after 1956 they came at far more frequent intervals. Chances are good that, sooner or later anyone with a local connection would be interviewed or profiled. So, if you invest an afternoon reading the April 15th papers from the mid 50s onward, you might find something.

If you are close to Boise, a trip to the main library there might be worthwhile.

I checked the national census for you, and whatever relatives Mr. Collyer may have had in Payette were gone by 1920. There WAS a family in Idaho named Collyer, with a daughter named Matjorie (d.o.b. 1917) who I HOPED was a cousin to THE Miss Collyer, but in that case the father seems to have been born in Tennessee.

I'll check for online Idaho papers this PM.

C

Christine Daskis (nee Allison)

Very interesting as I am researching my family tree on Ancestry.ca. Attending the Titanic exhibit in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA a few years back and, upon exiting the area you came across the passenger lists for all classes. To my surprise at the top of the 1st Class passenger list was the Allison family..WOW to say the least as I was born Linda Christine Allison on Dec. 25, 1953 in Rossland, British Columbia, Canada. Quite a treat to find all this info on hand.

May 3, 2005
Did ships such as Titanic have any kind of "speedometer" for an instant and continuous report of speed ?
Most accounts of speed appear to be based on engine revolutions ?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Did ships such as Titanic have any kind of "speedometer" for an instant and continuous report of speed ?<<

Not that I'm aware of. The technology would have existed to put something together and somebody may well have come up with something but I'm not aware of any such device which was in widespread use. Most ships would have worked it out the old fashioned way; with log lines and navigation fixes.

Captain Currie may have better information on this.