Signed Letter from Titanic Victim

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe R. Goss

I have a signed letter from Archibald Butts when he was in the Phillippines, dated 1908 or 1909. It was written to a distant cousin whose husband had been killed in the US Army there. I am not sure I want to part with it, but how would I determine its worth? Any ideas.

Joe R. Goss
Joesfiles@aol.com

I believe the History Channel uses Price Waterhouse or Butterfields' to evaluate and auction their pieces on eBay. You may want to check with them and see what they tell you.

Beverly

Joe:
Your interesting note prompted me to take "The Letters of Archie Butt" off the shelf, and thumb through them a bit.

The 92 letters featured in the book offer a fascinating insight into the life of Theodore Roosevelt, in particular, and about the political climate in Washington DC. The letters, which are much like a diary, were written by Butt to his mother and, after her death in October 1908, to his sister-in-law, Clara. All of the letters were written in 1908 and early 1909. During that time period, however, he was usually in the Washington, DC area, on the staff of President Roosevelt, and then President Taft.

He did go to England for a month or so in the summer of 1908. (If you are a conspiracy theorist, see Phil Gowan's interesting "Titanica Research article).

The only time that the book mentions that he was in the Phillipines was for a three year service starting in the fall of 1900. The book ends abruptly after Taft's inauguration, but not because Butt stopped writing. Apparently those later letters were held in reserve by Butt's family after his death on the Titanic. I'm not sure if they were ever published, or if Butt ever made it back to the Phillipines in 1909.

Hi Mike:
Tried emailing you, but not very succesful. I am back with the living and sent some stuff from the Amerika to you. Hopefully you will get it early next week.
Enjoy!
Mike

J

Joe R. Goss

Thanks Mike for the update. The letter is probably earlier than the date I gave. It is in a lock box at the bank.

Nice bold signature and in very good condition. When I get a chance I will go to the bank and get exact date.

Since the letter doesn't connect directly to the Titanic it may only be of value as an autograph of a Titanic victim.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.