Significant Titanic survivors

D

Diane Forrest

I'm impressed by the detailed information in these posts. I'm currently doing some research and would like to know which survivors posters would consider to be the "most significant." Of course, they're all significant to their families and others whose lives they touched. But I'm wondering if you think there are any whose survival made a significant difference to the world?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I would suppose that most any of the very wealthy managed to do that. These were the people who were the "Captains Of Industry" as well as the movers and shakers in various governments. Major Archibald Butt for example, who was one of President Taft's closest advisors. There was also Isidore Strauss who was the founder of Macy's.

May 5, 2005
The original question was the significance of people who had survived. I don't know of any major contributions to humanity by any survivors, other than the way that they touched other people in their own lives. I think a more compelling thought would be how the timeline would have changed if none of the 1,500 lives were lost. Perhaps this has been addressed elsewhere. I know, it sounds like science fiction.

D

Diane Forrest

Thanks for the ideas. It could be something very tangential -- someone who had a child who did something significant...a doctor or nurse who later saved the life of someone who did something significant... and so on...

Karlee Weiler

Oct 8, 2009
I have been reading into Charlotte Cardeza and I know after her death, a hematology research center opened up at Thomas Jefferson University. It may or may not have saved lives but the fund helps pay for faculty salaries, research programs, education programs and administration. Also, even though she isn't a passenger, the Titanic herself is aiding in the research of cancer through her rusticles. So maybe in the future, even though she took so many lives, she could save thousands more. Just a thought =)

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I think a more compelling thought would be how the timeline would have changed if none of the 1,500 lives were lost. Perhaps this has been addressed elsewhere.<<

It has been but I don't recall where the thread is. Most of these people regardless of their station in life weren't out to make history and a lot of the survivors were content to get on with their lives as best they could when they reached the other side of the pond.

As to their impact on history, there's really no way to tell since one life can have a signifigent impact on so many others. Not in any notably large way, but in thousands of small ones.