Simple things but how far do you go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Notice, the title asks not how far you WOULD go. It asks how far DO you go to keep simple, Titanic related things (other than collecting original items) in your daily routine? This just might be the revelation we all need to hear so we know we are not alone in our Titanic fantasies.... or maybe it will single me out. Here goes:

I confess that I use Vinolia soap almost every day. In addition, I cook with Coleman’s Mustard, and use Frank Cooper’s Oxford Marmalade as well as Dundee Marmalade just for good measure. Because Frette claims to have supplied linens for Titanic, I have a Frette bathrobe and bedsheets. Liddell also claims to have supplied Titanic with linens, so I have a Liddell tablecloth. Reproductions of White Star Line china I use on a frequent basis.

Someday, I hope to test out and perhaps own a Vi-Spring mattress set. Because these are quite spendy and the only USA showroom is located in Scottsdale, Arizona, this will be a challenge for me. However, it is a challenge I am currently pursuing.....

Ok, that’s me - so how far do you go?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It asks how far DO you go to keep simple, Titanic related things (other than collecting original items) in your daily routine?<<

I don't.

As endlessly fascinating as Titanic is, I have other interests with regards to history that go way beyond the Titanic. I don't even have a collection unless you count the mountain of books I have on a veriaty of subjects from maritime/aviation history to technical biblical scholarship.

Feb 9, 2006
The only thing I can think of, is how I think of cold and water now. The shower is cold, the air is cold, my ice water is cold. Very often my mind comes to Titanic at these moments.

Now, this is something that once will do fine, but I recently noted that it was about 27 degrees out. Out of curiousity, and my endless journalistic/imaganative desire to know as much as possible what things were like (when I can't really know, and that is a good thing), I climbed into the shower with my clothing on. I then walked outside, dripping wet and I was shivering in seconds. I stood outside for a minute tops. Somehow after that, I felt like I had the tiniest bit closer of an idea of how that would have felt. Even if it cannot be compared, I still had never been soaked to the skin, dressed, and standing in such cold.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Fascinating Lucy! I think it is very insightful to try and “live” history in some small way in addition to reading about it or watching a film. Tasting, touching, feeling, all of these sensations can bring a deeper understanding and meaning that goes beyond the page or screen.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
For anybody who wants a real taste of the typical Edwardian lifestyle, follow these simple steps:

1 - Throw away your car keys, cell phone, and all other modern conveniences.
2 - Turn off your domestic heating, and burn a coal fire in only one room.
3 - Start your day by washing in the kitchen sink and relieving yourself in a shed in the back yard.
4 - Wear clothing which is cheap and hard-wearing.
5 - If you're still in school and over the age of 12, leave immediately and start looking for a job.
6 - Work hard for 60 hours a week, with little hope of advancement.
7 - If you're a woman, don't vote. And resign yourself to a life of very limited opportunity.
8 - Try to raise a family on no more than $100 a week.

That should do the trick.

May 1, 2004
Bob,

Is the $100 a week you mention the value of $100.00 now or in 1912? Probably the 2007 value, but I want to confirm that. Would that translate into $8 or $15 US in 1912, for - what was the most common urban job? - a bricklayer? Store-clerk?

9 - Walk to work, carrying your lunch, or take public transit, not your car. If you have a car - you lucky, well to do man! - drive it at no more than 6 m.p.h.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Is the $100 a week you mention the value of $100.00 now or in 1912?<<

I think you'll find that this is in 2007 dollars. In 1912, if you earned a hundred a week, you were comfortably well off. Not robber baron rich by any stretch of the imagination, but you were doing good.

>>If you're a woman, don't vote. And resign yourself to a life of very limited opportunity.<<

And to add to the pot: Constant and often unpredictable pregnancies with a higher risk that you would die in childbirth. Don't forget to add a rather high rate of infant mortality. You had several children in the hope that two or three of them would survive to adulthood.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Marilyn, the typical wage for a working man in England in 1912 was around £1 a week or less. To provide the same purchasing power, the equivalent of that today would be around £50 ($100). In the US even in 1912 the living standard was higher, but still a long way short of what we have today. In Britain, prices are about 60 times higher than in 1912, but earnings are 300 times higher. Thus living standards are up by around 500%.

Note that currency exchange values aren't constant over a period of time. Today you get two US dollars for the pound. In 1912 you got five.

The most common urban job? For men, there were a great many 'general labourers', but otherwise much depended on the location - not many coal miners in London! Domestic service was everywhere a common source of employment for single women, but again there were other opportunities depending on location. Many women were employed in the textile industries and tailoring trades.

Jun 11, 2000
And in 1912 many of those general labourers and domestic servants were, in fact, highly intelligent, although impoverished. Which is why, when education became more generally prescribed until 14 or more, their children often did so well. There was a well-spring of great talent. I expect it was the same in the USA and other Western countries, and still is / could be, in other places in the world now. One just hopes for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.