Sinking angle/funnels falling

I

Ioannis Georgiou

Dunno about the 3rd funnel but I remember what I believe to be Frank Prentice, or Bright. It was someone on the poop deck who said that the 4th funnel seemed to "cant towards" them.

Charles Joughin perhaps ?

It was none of them. That statement came directly from Dillon in his testimony at the British Inquiry.

3860. Did you notice anything about the funnel? - Not then.
3861. Did you afterwards notice something about the funnel? - Yes.
3862. What? - When she went down.
3863. Was that after you had left the ship? - Before I left the ship.
3864. What did you notice? - Well, the funnel seemed to cant up towards me.
3865. It seemed to fall aft? - Yes; it seemed to fall up this way.
3866. Was that the aftermost funnel? - Yes.

Dr. Wacky

Dr. Wacky

wow people haven't posted here is years. time to bring the chat back. i wanna discuss the second funnel. me and a friend think it fell first (the second funnel)

Jack Thayer:
"The ship seemed to be surrounded with a glare, and stood out of the night as though she were on fire.... The water was over the base of the first funnel. The mass of people on board were surging back, always back toward the floating stern. The rumble and roar continued, with even louder distinct wrenchings and tearings of boilers and engines from their beds. Suddenly the whole superstructure of the ship appeared to split, well forward to midship, and bow or buckle upwards.
The second funnel, large enough for two automobiles to pass through abreast, seemed to be lifted off, emitting a cloud of sparks It looked as if it would fall on top of me. It missed me by only twenty or thirty feet. The Suction of it drew me down and down struggling and swimming, practically spent."

the second image is Charles lightoller's testimony in the British inquiry. what bothers me is he states all 4 funnels were up. maybe he got up just as the second funnel was falling and only took a quick glance and judged that all 4 funnels were up. he were to surely be crushed if the first funnel fell.

Screenshot 2022 05 08 144051
Screenshot 2022 05 08 145425

Last edited:
Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber

Suddenly the whole superstructure of the ship appeared to split, well forward to midship, and bow or buckle upwards.
The second funnel, large enough for two automobiles to pass through abreast, seemed to be lifted off, emitting a cloud of sparks It looked as if it would fall on top of me.

This almost makes me wonder if he was talking about the third funnel. It would be the second from the stern technically. Maybe the sparks coming out of the funnel near him were a result of the breakup?

Dr. Wacky

Dr. Wacky

This almost makes me wonder if he was talking about the third funnel. It would be the second from the stern technically. Maybe the sparks coming out of the funnel near him were a result of the breakup?
Possibly. You could be inferring to this. A video made by shingoji.

Dr. Wacky

Dr. Wacky

but can you pleas elaborate on your thinking. im sort of a visual learner

Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber

but can you pleas elaborate on your thinking. im sort of a visual learner

At 2:39:39, you can see the third funnel topple forward in a shower of sparks. Thayer (maybe someone who isn’t too familiar with bow and stern technicalities) might call that the second funnel. He mentions the funnel falling and the ship splitting apart happening almost simultaneously. Maybe this is what he was talking about?

Dr. Wacky

Dr. Wacky

At 2:39:39, you can see the third funnel topple forward in a shower of sparks. Thayer (maybe someone who isn’t too familiar with bow and stern technicalities) might call that the second funnel. He mentions the funnel falling and the ship splitting apart happening almost simultaneously. Maybe this is what he was talking about?
Thanks

Dr. Wacky

Dr. Wacky

another thing. Lightoller said the funnel broke off. this could just be me misinterpreting it but maybe this could have happened? the funnel broke off due to pressure and drifted away as it fell

Attachments

• unknown (6).png
    unknown (6).png
    505.8 KB · Views: 9
Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber

another thing. Lightoller said the funnel broke off. this could just be me misinterpreting it but maybe this could have happened? the funnel broke off due to pressure and drifted away as it fell

Yes, it’s believed that the first two funnels fell due to water pressure, and the last two from the breakup. The breakup process destroyed multiple guy wires and sent them down.

Dr. Wacky

Dr. Wacky

Yes, it’s believed that the first two funnels fell due to water pressure, and the last two from the breakup. The breakup process destroyed multiple guy wires and sent them down.
thank you. but what i meant was was if the first funnel floated for a second before crashing down.

Dr. Wacky

Dr. Wacky

Looking back on it. Both second and third funnels could have fell at the same time. Or third funnel falling second at the moment of break. I might be wrong and just grasping random straws
Unknown
Screenshot 20220509 211446 Chrome