Sinking angle/funnels falling

Dec 23, 2017
Its interesting to look at the updated H&G animation (which shows the break up briefly) and i think i calculated they put that it took around 7.5-8 seconds for the ship to break and settle, im putting it at around 7 due to the stern not settling all the way back. The 2012 animation also shows a fairly gradual drop, animating a redo of it now

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
Here's some insight on the nature in which the funnels fell from TH&G:

(3:06:19)
There was also the remark that there’s some “solid evidence” that the third funnel fell forward and the fourth fell aft. Is there any evidence that supports this?

Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
Dunno about the 3rd funnel but I remember what I believe to be Frank Prentice, or Bright. It was someone on the poop deck who said that the 4th funnel seemed to "cant towards" them. I don't have my notes in front of me so I can't look it up. I'll edit again in the morning after a fresh nights sleep and access to my workstation.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Dunno about the 3rd funnel but I remember what I believe to be Frank Prentice, or Bright. It was someone on the poop deck who said that the 4th funnel seemed to "cant towards" them.
Charles Joughin perhaps ?
It was none of them. That statement came directly from Dillon in his testimony at the British Inquiry.

3860. Did you notice anything about the funnel? - Not then.
3861. Did you afterwards notice something about the funnel? - Yes.
3862. What? - When she went down.
3863. Was that after you had left the ship? - Before I left the ship.
3864. What did you notice? - Well, the funnel seemed to cant up towards me.
3865. It seemed to fall aft? - Yes; it seemed to fall up this way.
3866. Was that the aftermost funnel? - Yes.