Sinking model Titanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 1998
Hi, everybody. My first post, as you can see. I've been lurking here for a few months, and thought I'd finally come out of the dark to share a few YouTube videos of my sinking model Titanic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evw899gM2T4

It's just a Revell-Monogram model I built a number of years ago, properly ballasted and including bulkheads and the like. It's hopelessly damaged these days as a result of too many sinkings and too much careless storage, but it's still a fun toy to put into the water and watch do its thing. Feel free to click on my username on YouTube for a few more angles of this ship (and some steamboat and model rocket videos, if you're into that).

I'm currently building its replacement, an Academy-Minicraft 1/350 kit (from the old days, not one of the more-refined recent kits), and that one should be ready for sinking in about a week or so, provided the caulk dries in time. Assuming I can properly implement all the improvements I wanted to build into the Revell model, it should be a fun one to watch go down.

Anyway, it's great to be here and I hope you folks enjoy.

Best,

Michael

M

Matt Pereira

Good vids. Did you seal off the upper most decks so water couldnt flow in from the upper deck below decks? I did that with a 1:700 scale or what ever scale that small Titanic model was. Took like 5 mins for water after flowing over the well deck to reach the boat deck.

Jan 30, 1998
Wow ... 5 mins is a good amount of time, especially from well deck to bridge! What happened with your model once the bridge went under? Generally, that's when mine go into the final plunge. At least it's historically accurate!

No, I didn't do as good a sealing job as I should have, so there's significant down-flooding going on with the model in the video (it's the 1/570, by the way) once the fo'c'sle goes under. I've (hopefully) corrected this issue in the upcoming 1/350 "Sinkatic."

Thanks for having a look! Do you have pics or video of your model?

M

Matt Pereira

Oh, that small model of the Titanic isnt sinkable anymore, the funnels are all missing, the fore and aft mast are missing and after 9 years that DAP tile putty stuff i used softened up the plastic hull. I had one of the 1/400 i did that one there used hobby sticks with the rounded ends cut off and some cheap clay putty to seal it off. That one there sank okay but since i didnt ballast it down right like I did with the 1/570 she just wouldnt sink since the bilge keel was floating level with the water.

On the 570 scale I used alot of that cheap $0.95 model glue and as i put each deck together I took and ran the glue along all seams including the B deck fo'c'sle, the fore and aft well decks, the b-deck passenger spaces and worked up from there. I think what made mine take 5 mins after the well deck went under is that the hole I put in the ship was slightly bigger than what scale damage would have been but it was all concentrated between bulkhead B (compartments # 2 and 3). Once water reaches the bridge its alittle slow somewhat, water seems to not want to rise up over the boatdeck bulkhead at the bridge then once it does its pretty much a quick nose dive and sinking.

What I would love to do is take the 1:350 scale i have now cause its not turning out how i like it to and use some deck plans and build the decks to 350 scale and basicly built a sinkable 1:350 scale Titanic, would be accurate cause the decks would control water flow somewhat.

M

Matt Pereira

Not sure if you have tried this but if you can find a electronic weight scale, you can weigh the upper plastic decks of the 1/350 scale Titanic (I noticed that she seemed to be alittle unstable till some weight was in the bottom) then with just the hull add weight in the bottom then find something that weighs about the same amount as the upper decks and lay it atop to get a good general idea about how much weight to add to get a even keel and a smooth waterline.

If your using the 350 scale Titanic You should do this, I planned on doing it with mine, dont glue down the #1, 2, or 3 cargo hatches, cause they werent sealed perfectly on the real one I think cargo hatches 2 and 3 were canvas. You might even be able to split the model in half and build a latching system. Some of the sinking model movies I have seen on youtube had 1:350 scale Titanics that split in half. Might be harder to do though than just build a one piece sinker.

One plan I had for along time that I didnt mention earlier was building a RMS Titanic and HMHS Britannic. Always wanted to build 4 Olympic class liners in 1:350 scale two RMS Titanic (1 sailing condition and 1 wreck) then two HMHS Britannic (1 sailing condition and 1 wreck). Even thought about a shadow box and having the Titanic sinking with water just under her forward anchors with lights and simulated water. But I wanted lights under the simulated water to glow that is above where the water is inside the Titanic. Might be hard to do considering I didnt want to cut the model up like they do when they make a waterline sailing model.

Jan 30, 1998
Matt:

I've already completed numerous float tests and sinking tests with the help of my bathtub and a bunch of lead sinkers and pennies to get the proper weight distribution. The hull is indeed a bit "tender," more so than the 1/570 kit, and so it took quite a bit of work to get her to be stable enough that she didn't take on a serious list. Who knows, though -- I've done so much work to the superstructure since then that she may regain her previous list on her maiden voyage. We'll see.

As for the cargo hatches, I really wouldn't mind gluing them down since I don't really need them to flood for the ship to sink, and at that point (well deck flooding) the process is already starting to accelerate anyway. However, I do plan to put some chemical bubble generators of some small variety under #2 and #3 hatch -- we'll see how it goes.

Those sinking models on YouTube that replicate the breakup are actually models that were sold during 2000/2001 at Barnes & Noble in the US (and elsewhere, I'm sure). They're snap-together models, with selectable modes (break/do-not-break). I've had a great time reading about them on this site. I don't think anyone's done an actual 1/350 model with breakup functionality and put it on YouTube.

Mine won't break up, but the final plunge should be worth the watching anyway.

M

Matt Pereira

Ahh they were probably the Barnes & Noble model. They just looked big like the 1/350 scale might have been an illusion.

Im not sure about mine, I thought about getting some cylinders roughly the same scale size as the boilers and on the under side grind away or add weight to level her up. But I dont know I havent finished the 1/350 scale Titanic I have doubt I ever will since it went along well then I didnt like how it was coming out. I also noticed this past weekend going to the hobby store that the 1/350 scale Titanic is still at $99 per kit. They went up to that price last year I think from $40 and they have been at $99 since.

A

Alexander John Cooley

Seen them before you posting them here. It is amaizing on how you got it up by using a fish line. Well anywho good luck on building your new model and may this one be stronger and better.

Jan 30, 1998
Thanks, Alexander! Actually, I just finished the new model tonight -- it sits gleaming on my living room shelf, properly ballasted and fully assembled, ready for the maiden voyage. I'll post again here once I take her out the first time ... hopefully with an accompanying YouTube video.

M

Matt Pereira

Alexander, Ive built a few 1/144th scale battleships before that used fishing line to retreive them. Depends on what type though. The one I used to use when i used to battle the battleship was I think 110 lb test line for saltwater fishing.

Mainly where I got the idea of wanting to build a 1/144th scale r/c Titanic. Think she would be about 6 ft in length but that would allow well over enough room to mount 3 motors to power the three props.

Jan 30, 1998
Matt:

That's good stuff there -- I love watching those BB-gun battleships go at it. I always wanted to get one, but never got around to it.

M

Matt Pereira

Michael they are fun. Im getting into it but im getting into it by building the HMHS Britannic. Only cause it was a Hospital ship in WWI and it can be any ship between 1900 - 1945. Be good experance instead of starting off with the high tech battleship.

Jan 30, 1998
Just FYI, the new model Titanic sinking videos are up -- just search for my username, Rapidnadion, and click on it to see all my videos. The new ones are easier to discern in the list, because all the preview panes are black as coal -- I shot the new model's sinking on a very dark night, and YouTube's compression only made it darker.

The bright side? The lighting level's probably pretty authentic, since it's hard to see much. Anyway, enjoy!

Jan 30, 1998
Forgot to include link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Rapidnadion

titanic_sinking_008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.