Six Degrees of Titanic

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Well, there's Matthew Broderick with Leo McKern (the late brilliant actor) in "Ladyhawke". Leo McKern starred with Alec Guinness in "Monsignor Quixote" and, of course, Guiness in "Raise The Titanic".

Was that your route?

Best regards,
Cook

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Actually, it can now be done in one. For us Americans, tomorrow night (April 16th) the Disney people remade and are showing "The Music Man", starring Matthew Broderick and (Thomas Andrews) Victor Garber as Mayor Shinn.

Being an old 'Music Man' fan myself, I know I'll be watching.

Best regards,
Cook

"I've got it timed to the last wave of the brakeman's hand on the last train out of town."

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
I am also a big fan of Music Man!
Having been born in Des Moines,Ioway!
Wonder if Broderick can carry the role like Preston?
We shall see tonight!
Shapoopie, Don

R

Richard K. Mason

Hey Kryila! ! !

I'm surpised that you didn't note on one of your earlier posts within this thread, the fact that a certain musical quartet shared film credits with not one, but TWO actors from ANTR. Can you remember who they were? If not, then watch the last 10 or 15 minutes of ANTR, and the first 35 minutes of the musical group's film. I think you'll get what I mean!

We pause now, for station identification. This is,
Richard.

A

Anita Casey-Reed

Actually, my Matthew Broderick route went through the movies "Family Business", since he co-starred with Sean Connery who, of course, shared a scene in "The Longest Day" with ANTR's Kenneth More. (And I have often used More's line from that scene: "My Grandmother used to say, anything mechanical, give it a good bash!")
Alas, I missed "The Music Man", being from the Hawkeye state myself (born and raised in Atlantic, only about 70 miles from your hometown, Don!) I have a certain affection for the show. Was Broderick good?

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Anita,
He held his own quite well. Of course, he's no Robert Preston in so much Preston is no Broderick.
He approached the roll in a slighty different angle and it worked.
The music and choreograghy were fine.
Say hello to Ioway for me!!!
Best reguards, Don

Pat Cook

Apr 27, 2000
Must agree with Don about Broderick, although the critics were less than kind. In my humble opinion, the show, as done by Disney, isn't the march that Preston squired but more of a parlor tune.

Still, I found it charming, with a special glee at seeing the "Rock Island" number and the barbershop quartet. And I hope to buy a tape of it!

Best regards, all
Cook

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
I really admired the way they modernized the story to some degree.
To use actors from diverse and different cultures was bold to say the least.
I for one was glad that Broderick did not copy Preston verbatim in the roll.
Shirley Jones, of course, is Marion, but hey girly-girl!!!
Just one mans opinion mind you!
happy.gif

-Don

R

Richard K. Mason

Hi Friends;

I guess Kryila is busy so I'll go ahead and provide the info for my above "connection" question. The music group I mentioned was The Beatles and the film was "A Hard Days Night". Norman Rossington played their manager and, as you all know was in ANTR as well. But did you recognize the little old man portraying a hotel waiter in the scene in which Paul's Grand-Dad exchanges clothes with so he can go to an exclusive club using Ringo's invitation? Well, his name is Eddie Malin and he played the steward who holds the small child in his arms as the Titanic sinks in ANTR. I didn't notice anyone else in "A Hard Days Night" who might have been in ANTR also. If any of you can think of someone, please post it.

Thanks, Richard

A

Anita Casey-Reed

OK - How about one of my favorite actors, John Goodman, linked to any of the Titanic films? I've found a way in three...

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
John Goodman was in Raising Arizona with Nicholas Cage who starred with James Cahn in Honeymoon in Vegas who starred with Kathy Bates in Misery, who of course was Molly Brown.

A

Anita Casey-Reed

Hey, good one! I had gone a different Coen brothers route. John Goodman and Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski, Bridges and David Warner in Tron, Warner in '97 Titanic, etc.

A

Anita Casey-Reed

OK - I know it's been awhile since anyone posted here, but I just thought of this at about 2 am last night - Robert Duvall to any of the Titanic films...

A

Anita Casey-Reed

Wow, Bob - I am TOTALLY impressed - I went a much longer route of Robert Duvall and Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird, Gregory Peck and Richard Basehart in Moby Dick, and of course Richard Basehart was in the 1953 soapy rendering of the Titanic tale...

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Hi, Anita. There is a shorter route to the '53 Titanic, but only by scraping the movie barrel. Comic actor Allyn Joslyn was in Titanic and also in a John Derek/Ursula Andress clunker called 'Nightmare in the Sun'. Duvall has an uncredited role as a biker, but don't blink or you'll miss him!

Neil McRae

Apr 16, 2001
I found another for Matthew Broderick (albeit with one more step): Broderick was in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" with Alan Ruck who was in "Star Trek: Genereations" as the Enterprise-B captain. One of his officers was played by Jeanette Goldstein, a Cameron regular who played an Irish immigrant in "Titanic"!

Let's see you connect these people to Cameron's "Titanic". It can be done. My advice is use the IMDB. It can be done!

Drew Barrymore

Rodney Dangerfield

Aerosmith

Paul Newman

Robin Williams

Will Smith

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Here's a couple of them:

Robin Williams - Jumanji - Jonathan Hyde (Bruce Ismay)
Drew Barrymore - Poison Ivy - Leo DiCaprio