Skull spotted on the wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 10, 1999
Jeremy: To my knowledge no bones, but lots of boots & leather longcoats litter the wrecksite. Check out David Mearns site "Blue Water Recovery". And, as well a great special in regards to Hood & Bismarck which appeared on PBS of late. Unfortunately, the ignorant Dr. Ballard refused to reveal the Bismarck wreck's location, albeit Mr. Mearns and his team *re-located* the wreck and recorded far superior images than those of Ballard. Were James Cameron (w/brother) and his MIR teams faced with a similar dillema in re-locating the Bismarck wreck? Their teams research was also outstanding.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Has it ever been confirmed that there are bones at the Bismarck wrecksite?<<

I'm not aware of any such. They might have spotted one but it could easily have been something else as well. As deceptive as conditions are underwater, what you think you see is not always what you really get.

>>Were James Cameron (w/brother) and his MIR teams faced with a similar dillema in re-locating the Bismarck wreck?<<

By the time these guys got out there Mike, the location of the wreck was already fairly well known.

James Carey

Sep 14, 2004
"the ignorant Dr. Ballard refused to reveal the Bismarck wreck's location"

After what happened to TITANIC with the robbing of anything and everything, and the holes punched into the ship, I can't blame him for not releasing the location. I think "ignorant" is the wrong word to use and a bit harsh.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
The French already knew where the wreck was, and they're the "robbers" as you put it. Also, what "holes punched into the ship"?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>After what happened to TITANIC with the robbing of anything and everything, and the holes punched into the ship, I can't blame him for not releasing the location.<<

As I recall from his book, Dr. Ballard witheld the information on the Titanic's location at first out of a concern that the wreck would be molested. Whether or not he was sincere in this is hotly debated by those who either hate or love the guy, but there's no denying that his stated concerns came to pass.

I don't think that's going to be much of an issue with the Bismarck since the ship is a protected war grave and the property of the German government. While this may not be enough to stop wreck pirating/plunder in and of itself, it would be difficult to conceal such an expedition. The welcome that any such parties would get from the authorities in the first port they made would be extremely unpleasant.

Jun 10, 1999
It was Ralph White that, was an occupant, along with IFREMER's Jean Louis Michelle in the *room* where the boiler was first spotted on 1 Sept. '85, subsequently divulging the information to RMSTI/IFREMER. James, the whole point of my using the word *ignorate* towards Ballard, if you will recall your Titanic Commutator from 1986, there is a letter from Dr. Ballard on WHOI stationary, stating that, he feels the artifacts surrounding the bow and stern should be recused from the deep. However, he was unable to surmount an expedition to salvage...so stepped in a man named George Tulloch (w/ Arnie Gellar).

I have seen ignorance expressed in many forms over the past decades on Ballard's part. Take for instance the letter presented to him by TIS, on behalf of Paul Henri Nargeolet, no reply by Ballard. Or even the letter I received from Ballard in '88, explaining to me that the port-wing propellor was buried, and in his words..."as luck would have it" the French discocvered the starboard-wing prop exposed. When in fact both port and starboard wing props are highly visible on the wrecked stern section.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Michael, Ballard did reply to Nargeolet ... but only in the pages of his fan club, The Titanic Hysterical Society.

Status
Not open for further replies.