Smoking Room Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damon Hill

A few years back i purchased a reprint of a 1968 Titanic Commutator from the THS and in it was a photo of the Smoking Room that Ive not seen elsewhere. It is taken from slightly starboard looking to port almost directly at the aft port bay windows. There is another photo on the net at www.titanicmuseum.de/Olympic/Olympic_Interieur that has an almost identical shot. Does anyone know of a website that may have clearer images of these two photos? Sorry my descriptions of them are a bit vague.
Thanks.

B

Brian R Peterson

Damon,

Unfortunatly, your link is broken and we cannot view the photos of which you speak.

Best Regards,

Brian

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the link, it worked beautifully. I have seen that photo before however I only wish it had been taken on an overcast day so the contrast would not have blotted out as much of the room as it has. Especially because it would show the detail of the stained glass in the bay windows, a great interest on mine.

Best Regards,

Brian

Hi Brian
Not sure whether your aware, but the South Shields Central Library holds four images taken of the First Class Smoking Room aboard Olympic when her light fittings had been removed after the stripping out Auction and during the removal of fittings. The four images show one of the alcoves of the smoking room, clearly showing the stained glass from deck level on the boat deck and the windows on the promenade deck, they also show one corner of the smoking room aft with one of the doors leading to the aft grand staircase, through which you can see the Aft Grand Staircase in a state of deconstruction, some kind of panelling being propped against the wrought iron work just in front of the door. Another image shows the fireplace and stained glass around the fireplace with the two seats removed and the final image is of one corner of the room on the opposite side showing the door that led into the boiler casing behind the stained glass panels in the centre of the room. There is plenty of detail in them if you order prints from South Shields Central Library. Hope that's helpful.

Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.