Smoking room windows

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
i am in the process of building a model of the First class Smoking room and was wondering if anyone knows the particulars of the images on the windows in the bays. I know they depicted landscapes and things. I've seen closeups of ones done for the Cameron movie that had a big weeping willow on it and another of a couple of people in a rowboat (I think. Maybe I dreamt that one!) Photos of the Smoking Room are a bit hard to decipher details from because of the glare of the sunlight coming through the windows.
Thanks

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Damon,
I agree - I've seen several pictures showing the smoking room windows, both from inside and from the deck outside. It's almost impossible to decipher this center panel due to exposure concerns. The interior stained glass panels virtually identical in form to their exterior counterparts depict, as you observed, landscape scenery - including a meandering river and another river situated by a small village.
An exterior panel, unclear because it's observed from the reverse side, appears to reveal what would resemble something close to a Rennaisance-type town.

Hopefully someone out there can dig up a few better quality images or some specs.

B

Brian R Peterson

As the First Class Smoke Room was modeled in 17th century Georgian, it would only make sense that the windows depict Renaissance scenes, the interior windows show sailing ships, women in long gowns, villages and towns and things of the sort.

From what I have observed from both interior and exterior views of the bay windows the scenes depicted would have been similar.

Best Regards,

Brian

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Damon, the only thing I can think of to reference you to aside from looking for more pictures, is if you have a copy of Titanic: Adventure Out of Time, or Titanic: The Lost Mission, take a tour/view the Smoking Room on there and you'll see the windows. I'd also recommend you hitting the "print screen" key on your keyboard as it will take a picture of what's on your screen for you. The only downside to it is that if you're looking for a large area, it'll take you doing this several times to get enough pictures to show everything you want to see. I know it's time consuming but that's about the only thing I can think of at the moment.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Tripp & Damon,

The accuracy of the interiors in Adventure Out of Time is dodgy at best, and basing your research on that basis would not yield accurate results.

Best Regards,

Brian

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Really? I thought the interiors of their ship were very exquisite. I used to have that game, sadly I loaned it out and it never returned.

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Tripp,

The interiors are exquisitely rendered and give a good feel for what being aboard the ship would have been like, however many areas are inaccurate while others are created with heavy use of artistic license as some areas shown in the game were unknown to many on the actual ship.

I haven’t played the game in a few years but some of the major mistakes that I can recall off hand:

The First Class Lounge is painted mustard yellow when the real lounge would have been paneled in oak the same color as that of the Grand Staircase.

The First Class Smoke Room has incorrect floor tiles that were used on the Olympic in the post war years; the painting above the mantel is also wrong as it is the painting that was aboard the Olympic as well, the stained glass windows are also modeled after those found aboard the Olympic. Another point is that the doors to the Verandah Café appear as French doors in the game when revolving doors were used on Titanic and Olympic.

The Wireless Room is accessed in the game outside from the Boat Deck which would be correct for the Olympic, however the wireless room on Titanic was just aft of the Officer’s Quarters and could only be accessed from within.

The First Class hallways are shown with silk wallpaper, when in reality they were white paneling. I don’t believe the hallways were carpeted either, rather tiled with linoleum.

All of the First Class cabins you can enter in the game are modeled in Old Dutch décor when only two cabins on Titanic, B 47 and C 72, were decorated so.

I also found the amount of rust on the machinery in the Engine Rooms to be odd on a brand new ship.

Best Regards,

Brian

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Guess they didn't do much research before the time to reconstruct the ship and decorate it came around. I don't see how they could have mistaken the Olympic plans for the Titanic plans though because if you look at the carefully enough, there's a few differences that would send up a red flag saying "Hey, I must have the wrong plan." Anywho, I do have a question though about the picture above the fireplace. From my understanding, both Olympic and Titanic had a copy of the same picture hanging over their fireplaces. It had something to do with Plymouth harbor. Is that not the picture hanging up in there (it's been so long I don't remember)?

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi Tripp,

The Olympic and Titanic actually had two different paintings above each mantle. The Olympic had a painting of New York called "Approach to the New World" and Titanic had the painting of "Plymouth Harbour". Both paintings were done by Norman Wilkinson. I have always wondered what painting was going to be above on Britannic's mantle though. The one thats hanging in the game is of Olympic's. You can see the correct painting in James Cameron's film Titanic of the Smoking Room set or if you have a copy of Titanic Voices both paintings are published in that book. It's in the colourful section, in the middle.

All the best,

Nigel

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Hi All. I have done 6 windows so far and figure that I will "make up" the various different scenes as I go. If more photos or evidence comes to light in the future I can always replace them. I did one of people Rowing and another of a weeping willow, one of a Renaissance town , one of a decorative fountain in a town square and a couple of other landscapes too. As for the large windows in the Smoking room, I am copying what was in Olympic for now. At least we know that the basic design was the same in both ships, as Ballard photographed the twisted remains of the lower left hand quadrant of one of the sailing ship windows.. The window on the aft end of the portside funnel casing in Olympic depicts a figure standing next to a small version of Michelangelos "David". Maybe the figure is a classical representation of Michelangelo himself! I have taken a few photos of my models and will post them on here soon .
Regards Damon.

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Damon, what program are you using to create your models?

Nigel, I recall reading somewhere that both pictures were named "Approach to the New World." Perhaps that is what was so confusing for me. It's been so long since I've seen that, I couldn't tell you what book or website I read that on, but I do recall it from somewhere. Thanks for correcting me though.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Hi Tripp. The model I am making is not of the compuiter program sort but of the wood/paint etc sort....I wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to do anything like that on the computer. Typing posts to this site are about as technical as I get! Though I did get several sheets of floor tiles printed off at the local photo develop shop...that takes hours to do by hand (I've done it by hand before. Never again!)

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
wow, that's gotta be painful yet fun to do. I don't have the skills to work with wood so I could never do that. I used to couldn't draw anything with a computer (in fact I hated it).

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Dude, I'm speechless. How big is that thing? It looks like a full sized room. I might have to hire you to come do the interiors of my house when I graduate from college and get one. ;) That's some very exquisite work you've done and I'd love to see more pictures as you have them available.
happy.gif

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Glad you like it. I tried to post 4 images yesterday but the computer kept booting me off so i could only post that one. It's the first time Ive sent an attachment and that is why there was all that blank space with it. Ive got 3 other photos, ready to post, a close up of the Lounge mantlepiece, one of the Smoking room mantlepiece and one of the Smoking room windows. Can you tell me how to put multiple images on the one attachment? I'm not that familiar with fancy computer stuff! For now I'll just post the mantle photo by itself. Apologies for all the wasted space!
87795.jpg

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Very nice work, Damon. What scale are you working to? And is everything scratch-built, or were you able to make use of anything like doll house furniture? You can include more than one image with a single posting by repeating the attachment procedure for each file. If you don't have any software which can crop your images to remove the white space, try IrfanView, a small programme which can be downloaded for free and is very useful for adjusting image files and for many other purposes:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Sean Hankins

May 15, 2004
Wow, that really is great work Damon! I was also wondering what scale you're working. Have you ever thought about building a replica newel post or something? :)

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Again, that's very impressive work, there's no way I could even come close to something like that either by modeling it in wood or creating it on the computer. You have an excellent talent, Damon. Keep up the good work.
happy.gif