Smoking room windows

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Thanks everyone for your kind comments and the help regarding posting attachments. I did multiple attachments but they all came out with the white space so I might have to download the irfanview stuff. The model is 1/12th size...the standard size for dolls houses although I havent been able to buy anything in the shops for it except for plates/books etc. As for making a replica newel post, the closest I ever got was years and years ago when I made a Grand staircase out of cardboard and paper. I made the Cherub out of a special bread dough clay that had to be cooked in the oven to harden, but I forgot I had put wire stiffening inside it and when I put it in the mircowave my Cherub shot sparks everywhere!

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Damon,

I was in Michael's (craft store) yesterday, just looking around and I have to agree that it's hard to find stuff to furnish it with. For an unbeknownst reason I decided to go where they have all the woodworks and I was checking out all the types of wood they had that you could work with and what not. I saw "doll house" furniture but like the main thing they had was the china cabinets/book cases (some were missing doors, I might add) and none of it really looked like Titanic. However I will say this . . . this one aisle had these intricately carved thin pieces of wood with different patterns on it. They reminded me of the inlaid details used in the suite that can be seen in pictures of Olympic/Titanic. I can promise you I almost had a stroke right there. If I had had the money I would have been buying them out of that stuff and then gold foiling it before putting it to my walls. ;)

Btw, in the first image you posted it looks like the chandelier in the far background on the left is lit up. Do you have real electric/battery operated lights in your model? Keep up the good work.
happy.gif

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
The light in the background is lit up, but not with anything fancy..I just poked some bud lights through holes in the ceiling. Fortunately the design of the Lounge lights hides all the ugly bulbs and plastic sheaths. I'll have to make something more suitable down the track. the trouble with the bud lights is that they get very hot, my Titanic might catch on fire!

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
It still looks great. I imagine lights back then weren't too bright so it seems to fit in with it's surroundings pretty well. Titanic on fire? Now that'd be an interesting yet sad demise for the ship. If you get a chance, please post some more pics, it's looking pretty exciting. I can't wait to see more of it.
happy.gif

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Tripp here is a quick pic of the Smoking room model , or at least part of it. Ive done a lot more since this was taken.
87969.jpg

L

Luke Mack

oh Damon its fabulous.....im an interior designer so i know how difficult it is to build models. an artist and an australian accent to boot......my knees are week.

Luke

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
One word, wow. I think it's truly amazing that you, let alone anyone can create something as intricately detailed as that. Ya know, I've thought about going into interior designing but was quickly discouraged from it by certain family members because not everyone "knows" about me. So now I'm back to my original major, Communications(Journalism)/Psychology.

Mike McMillan

Apr 30, 2003
Damon, your models are awesome. Have you mentioned the scale? Roughly how big is the mantle for instance? Really amazing!

--Mike Mc

Dec 7, 2000
Damon,

Glad to see more photos of your model, it is indeed amazing! The size of your model allows you to pay attention to more intricate detail. Let me know if you need help or close ups with any of the things.

As for the lights on the ships, I have a copy of an article which criticized the lighting, saying some of it was too bright and too demanding on the eyes, especially the while Ladies Reading and Writing Room!

Regards,

Daniel.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
I'm toying with making the Reading and Writing room next...goodness knows where I'll put it though! In order to make these two rooms I had to demolish the older ones I made. I snapped the old Lounge in about the same place as the real one snapped just to get some sort of idea what it might have looked like...macabre I know! Mike, the mantle in the Smoking Room is 23.5 cm long and stands 14 cm tall. To get a better idea of the size, the "Plymouth Harbour" above it was cut out of my copy of Titanic Voices!

Brian Nevius

Jul 9, 2004
Wow, Damon! Do you have a website or something where you put all these pictures? Also, when you're finished, I'm assuming you'll do a full shot of the Titanic? This is really exquisite work! I enjoy doing arts and crafts, but I could never do something that detailed and accurate.

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
Damon I was just wondering if you could give us an update on your project? Last I heard it was coming along great and the pictures of it were nothing short of amazing.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Hi Tripp. I've done some more to the Smoking Room siince I last posted but haven't done much on it for about a month now as I have been busy painting scenery for stage shows and probably wont be able to do too much more now till the end of Oct as the next show opens on the 21st of Oct and I haven't even started painting the set yet! Yesterday I cut out some fabric for the rug but that's about all. Making models is one of those things I tend to do in fits and starts...once I get going I'm alright though! How is your computer model going?
Damon

Tripp Carter

Jun 27, 2004
All modeling for me has come to a complete stop. I posted some 3D Renders in my "Help" thread that show a more modern version of the Lounge (not as exquisite) that has been converted into a library.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Here is an updated pic of the smoking room aft end. Sorry for the quality,it's the first time I've used the digital camera! I tried to upload the attachment and it still won't work. If you want to see them just send me a message.
Regards Damon

Matt Simons

Mar 12, 2005
Damon,
I can't imagine what it was like for you to figure out what all that detail looks like. Yet alone carve it. The Reading and Writing Room is giving me trouble and that room isn't even half as fancy as the Lounge and Smoking Room.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Hi Everyone. It has been ages since I updated you all with what I've been doing with my models. I had just about finished one of the Turkish bath when I checked Parks' marconigraph website and saw his updated cgi's of the Bath's and realized I need to scrap most of it and start again! Still havent finished the Lounge or Smoking Room....i am hoping to have more time for it for the rest of the year as I am cutting back on my theatre design work.

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Here is my latest update on my three rooms. The Turkish bath is finished except for the ceiling and the gilt beams, as well as the curtains and stools for the dressing boxes. The Lounge has just had the aft starboard bit built this week, but still needs the door put in and the wall sconces made and the furniture done. I still need to do the starboard wall of the funnel casing, as well as the ceiling in the aft starboard bay and aft starboard alcove, as well as the base of the chandelier. The Smoking Room still needs: large sections of tiling, all furniture in the forward Port side, all forward portside walls and bays, windows, sconces etc. The Ceiling for the entire room as well as lights still need to be done as well as the revolving door and the cupboard thing next to the revolving door. The Portside funnel casing still needs doing too with all it's windows, sconces panelling etc.
This list of jobs still to do is a bit overwhelming......maybe I should get off the computer and go and do something.

Morten Jensen

Mar 4, 2006
Damon -

It is some fantastic you have done on your room-models!!! Would you like to post some over at TRMA as well? I know there is a lot of people over there (including me) that would be interested in your models! Would be nice if you will.

Good luck with the rest! Thumbs up from me!

Best regards,
Morten Jensen

Damon Hill

Jun 13, 2004
Thanks Morten. I often check the TRMA site, but havent posted on it for years. I wonder what my password was?