Sneaking Into First Class From Second

Andrew Lay

Jun 2, 2020
I am really curious about how easy it would be to sneak into first class from second.

I have a ideas about how it might be done:

1. Walk to the first class boat deck from second via the engineer's promenade
2. Walk in the 1st class accommodation area on C deck from the doors connecting it to the second class covered promenade. The maps shows doors here, although I am guessing they may be locked.
3. Sneak into first class via E deck where the first/second class alternative accommodation is. Obviously this part of the ship must have connections to both classes

Is there any record of anyone trying this on Titanic or other ships.

Last edited:
May 3, 2005
I am really curious about how easy it would be to sneak into first class from second.

I have a ideas about how it might be done:

1. Walk to the first class boat deck from second via the engineer's promenade
2. Walk in the 1st class accommodation area on C deck from the doors connecting it to the second class covered promenade. The maps shows doors here, although I am guessing they may be locked.
3. Sneak into first class via E deck where the first/second class alternative accommodation is. Obviously this part of the ship must have connections to both classes

Is there any record of anyone trying this on Titanic or other ships.
I am also curious about "sneaking" from any "class" section to any other "class" section either up or down "class" involved , such as a second class passenger "sneaking" into first class or a first class passenger "sneaking" into second class ?)
Or any other combination between all three classes - up or down "sneaking " from one class to another ?

Of course you have to discount movies as perhaps having a wee bit of fiction and literary license. (Perhaps the understatement of the year) !? ) ( :)
In the 1997 "Titanic" movie , "Rose" had no problem sneaking from first class to steerage and "Jack" had no problem sneaking from steerage to first class.

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
All I can think of in real life for certain is Father Francis Browne who was traveling in 1st class from Southampton to Queenstown, at least one picture he took is from all the way aft on the starboard boat deck, near lifeboat 15, which is in the 2nd class area of the boat deck. Most of the pictures he took are in 1st class areas, such as the gymnasium or Cafe Parisian, so he had no problems moving between 1st and 2nd class areas.

Andrew Lay

Jun 2, 2020
All I can think of in real life for certain is Father Francis Browne who was traveling in 1st class from Southampton to Queenstown, at least one picture he took is from all the way aft on the starboard boat deck, near lifeboat 15, which is in the 2nd class area of the boat deck. Most of the pictures he took are in 1st class areas, such as the gymnasium or Cafe Parisian, so he had no problems moving between 1st and 2nd class areas.
That is true, but Browne may be an exception as from my understanding he struck up a friendship with the purser, and may have been given extra privileges.

Reactions: 1 user

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Is that kid spinning the top at the end of the clip supposed to be "Master" (Robert) Douglas Spedden?

I can't help feeling that the "upper class" of the day, with all their airs and graces, the need to stick to idiotic protocols etc led very boring lives. I'm sure some of them secretly envied the "common" people's more carefree lifestyle.

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
Yes, and don Lynch plays his father.

Edith Russel (first class passenger) did say it was very formal and stiff atmosphere on Titanic. Compared to the rest.

Tim Gerard

Feb 26, 2019
I can't help feeling that the "upper class" of the day, with all their airs and graces, the need to stick to idiotic protocols etc led very boring lives. I'm sure some of them secretly envied the "common" people's more carefree lifestyle.

I can easily picture that to be true of Margaret Brown. She seemed more down to Earth, like she'd enjoy drinking beer at a "party" in the 3rd class common room much more than getting afternoon tea and gossip in the 1st class lounge.

May 3, 2005
It's just another of my sometimes off quoted "IMHO" opinions of this film critic. LOL.
Portrayal of Margaret Brown in the movies :
The Best - Kathy Bates, "Titanic" (1997)
The Worst - Tucker Maguire, "A Night To Remember " (1958)
Mrs. Brown was said to be highly cultured at times and was fluent in several languages.

Arun Vajpey

Apr 21, 2009
Portrayal of Margaret Brown in the movies :
The Worst - Tucker Maguire, "A Night To Remember " (1958)
Mrs. Brown was said to be highly cultured at times and was fluent in several languages.

By far the worst portrayal of Molly Brown IMO is Cloris Leachman (normally a good actress) in SOS Titanic.
I do't know about her being "highly cultured" but her image in books and movies are probably somewhat exaggerated on the wrong side.

TimTurner

Dec 11, 2012
I think it was highly unlikely anyone snuck between classes on Titanic.

My thoughts:

We've gotten this Downton Abbey glamour idea that it was some kind of wonderful fun to sneak between classes.

In real life, you would immediately spot someone from the wrong class. Their clothes, mannerisms, and language would set them obviously apart. It's not today's culture where the guy sitting next to you in jeans and a t-shirt might be a multi-millionaire. Most people wouldn't remotely want to associate with the other classes. The culture gap was as big or bigger than anything in our society today. It would be like a rich vegan New York liberal yoga coach sneaking into a Nascar party to pal around with a bunch of drunk conservatives talking about gay people, or vice versa (or whatever stereotypical social conflict you want to use as ccx an example). There probably wasn't much envy about the carefree unrestricted life of 3rd class passengers, so much as there was pity and disgust (how can people tolerate being such lowlifes?)

Yes, for some there might be some kind of thrill, but you'd stick out like a sore thumb and most people would be appalled by the culture shock.

The opportunity to get a sneak peek at other classes was also available on land where it would be easier to come and go unseen, and there would be more interesting stuff to see than the 3rd class open space.

---
One other passenger who did jump between classes:

If I recall, 2nd class passenger Eva Hart's father arranged for her to go to the 3rd class areas where they would walk the 1st class dogs. I don't doubt that no one thought she was anything other than a 2nd class passenger.

Rennette Marston

Rennette Marston
May 23, 2020
Halifax, Nova Scotia
By far the worst portrayal of Molly Brown IMO is Cloris Leachman (normally a good actress) in SOS Titanic.
I do't know about her being "highly cultured" but her image in books and movies are probably somewhat exaggerated on the wrong side.

Also, include Marilu Henner's "Molly" Brown in the 1996 miniseries Titanic. It was mortifying to watch.

Rennette Marston

Rennette Marston
May 23, 2020
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think it was highly unlikely anyone snuck between classes on Titanic.

Except for Lawrence Beesley. There's a picture of him using the 1st class gymnasium next to a lady who is a 1st class passenger. So there was some sneaking around between the classes, though he was probably given special permission by the crew to venture into those parts of the ship that were otherwise off-limits to 2nd and 3rd class passengers normally.

Lawrence_Beesley_in_the_Gymnasticroom.jpg

Rennette Marston

Rennette Marston
May 23, 2020
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Oh, I didn't realize. But the point is I doubt a 2nd class passenger like Mr. Beesley could ever enter 1st class without permission or invitation from the captain or a crewmember - regardless if it's before, during, or after the voyage. But maybe there were exceptions made for all classes at certain times, I suppose. What do you think?

Also, speaking of his lady friend having "left the ship," did she ever book passage on the Titanic, 1st class, or otherwise, but changed her mind before the voyage? Or did she disembark from the ship during the voyage - either at Cherbourg or Queenstown? Or maybe she boarded a lifeboat when the Titanic was sinking and that's how she left the ship? Or was she invited by Beesley or the crew to explore the ship and disembarked before the Titanic left Southampton on April 10th?

Last edited:

Aly Jones

Dec 15, 2019
Australia
I was shocked too, to find out that anyone can explore first class before the voyage. Not sure about 3rd class passengers though?

Differently she was seeing her friend off Mr.Beesley. She left the ship; not as a passenger, but as a on looker. I recall reading article on here and on FB.