So many PEOPLE in Camerons Titanic

C

Caroline Chavez

I was wondering, and i asume this can go for all movies, but where in the world do they find all thoes people to play in the film. Like all thoes people we saw in the sinking, and in the eating area Etc. How do they get all these people like where do they find them all, (lol). Thank you all!

-Caroline C
happy.gif

Jul 12, 2003
A large majority of those people are called extras. They belong to a union called SEG (Screen Extras Guild). When background people are needed, a call is placed to the union stating how many are needed, what age groups, sometimes they even tell them what to wear (if it is more of a modern film), etc.

Of course, there are people who get their family members to be part of it...especially when a ton of people are needed.

Sometimes the same people are used to in different scenes...just change the clothing and/or makeup.

These people don't make the same money at all. They make as little as $50 a day. It can be boring cuz you may spend hours just standing around.

Anybody can join this union. You don't need any agents or experience because you are basically just "scenery".

Nov 27, 2005
What they did in Mexico and San Diego was hire a group of extras, not all SEG who formed the "Core Group". This group committed for the entire filimg. A certain percentage had to be legally from Mexico. (There were quite a few "European-looking" Mexicans there who at first were not very English proficient.) This group was given Edwardian etiquette lessons etc. The idea was that as this was a voyage the same people should keep popping up - which makes sense. Some were only classified "first class" eg look for the bald guy with the mustache - really nice man. Others were both 3rd and 1st depending on the scenes and the costumes. When really big scenes were called for many more extras were brought in -particularly the dining room and boarding scenes.
Often you could go in for a special scene and then became part of the "core".

Although not a core (too much of a time committment), my wife and I were there for "special scenes" as members of THS. I had a first class costume (dining) and a third class (loading). She had only several first class dresses - dining, afternoon tea etc complete with corsets, hats, jewelery etc - nothing steerage about her!

Jul 12, 2003
Thank you David. You made one point I totally forgot about when filming on a location...and that is about hiring locals.

BTW, David, did you get any pics of your wife and yourself in costume? I hope so. That would be great to have.

C

Caroline Chavez

Thanks you guys for your responce, that is all i wanted to know. You guys i love you!!!!! You have taught my little mind so much (<wuta dork!) lol Thanks!

-Caroline C. :)