So what do we have here

Mar 3, 1998
I leave it to you good folks to identify (and discuss).

Hint: the answer is somewhere in this forum's archives. To those who participated in that earlier thread: you are not eligible to participate in this latest waste of time.

Parks

133036.gif

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
Hmmm...Looks like the Queen Mary, but the superstructure is too squat. Not enough decks. The funnels are right, as is the bridge and her wings. Right number of vents too. But it's not the Queen Mary.

Reactions: 1 user
Sep 26, 2009
That's a photo taken of the Fox Titanic model from the catalog for the 1971 Fox auction. The model has been altered to resemble the Queen Mary for the movie "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes". The catalog entry said the four "Titanic " funnels were in storage and were put back on the model before Robert Muir, the man who bought it, shipped it to Blaine, Minnesota for its 10-year display at the mall. Robert H. Gibbons

Mar 3, 1998
Robert,

You didn't heed the one rule of this game...those who participated in the earlier thread were ineligible to guess this time around. You spoiled the fun for the newer members. :-(

Parks

May 27, 2007
I thought the bridge and forecastle looked like Titanic. But the 3 funnels throw me off. The model looks like a 3 funnel Titanic basically.

May 1, 2004
Was the ship in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" meant to be the Queen Mary? The Internet Movie Database says "Queen Mary", but I don't think so. The staff on the ship, and on the ship returning to the United States, were French.

Was the set supposed to be the "France"? I don't think the name was mentioned in the movie.

Sep 26, 2009
Parks, I'm sorry! I forgot we discussed this in the past. The ship the girls were going to France on was called the "Ile de Paris" and was shown going from left to right. The DVD shows it was actually the revised Queen Mary model with the name backwards! The Queen Mary at the end of the movie was shown going from right to left! Robert H. Gibbons

Sep 26, 2009
Perhaps this will make up for me blundering into the message board and spoiling Parks'surprise.

133055.jpg

What movie was this model made for? Robert H. Gibbons

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
Thanks Robert,

Well it is a color picture which would make one turn away from Night to Remember or Titanic. It seems quite to scale with the A deck enclosures visible. I'm not ruling out a color shot of the above mentioned movies. The lighting makes my think of the model re-used and colored for SOS Titanic, so perhaps both movies? That's me guess. I'll be quiet to give others a chance before I rack my mind some more.

Thanks again,

Tom

Sep 26, 2009
Ioannis: You are correct! It was from the unused footage from "Raise the Titanic". Some of this footage was used in the television show "Voyagers" which was released as a feature film "Voyager from the Unknown". Robert H. Gibbons

Sep 26, 2009
Here's a hard one. I have lightened the photo just a bit so you can...count the funnels! That's the clue. And, yes, that's an iceberg on the right. The ship did hit it! Robert H. Gibbons

133074.jpg

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
Voyagers, fantastic, that was a show I've missed somewhat and have been meaning to look up, just couldn't remember the name. Nice job Robert. Out takes from Raise The Titanic would be interesting seeing how the film is basically a dud. Bravo to Ioannis! Got to think about the above. 3 stacks would often be the QM1 but the stacks aren't right. So no guess yet.

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
Right.

The stacks are squat like the Normandie, but not squat enough. Besides, the trim lines at the top of the funnels is all wrong for her.

Sep 26, 2009
Here's a clue. The ship is not called the Titanic in the movie, but it does hit an iceberg and the passengers do sing "Nearer My God to Thee". It is listed as a Titanic-inspired movie. Robert H. Gibbons

Tom McLeod

Sep 1, 2005
The Normandie only had two stacks, but they were squat. Titanic 1953 was kind of off on a lot of counts and they did sing "Nearer My God to Thee" at the end. That would be my guess. Otherwise I don't think I've seen other movies that fit the bill. There are pleanty of other ship movies and disaster ship movies. There are three or so earlier movies about the ship I have never seen . . .so maybe that will steer someone else in the right direction. You may have got us this time Robert, time will tell. Thanks.