Some Like It Hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
Watched this movie again last night for about the 100th time and realized there is a small Titanic reference in the movie. When Marilyn Monroe tells Tony Curtis she had a dream about being on HIS yacht. She says he can be the captain and she will be the only crew person and be his lookout for icebergs. A small reference, but I would take Marilyn as my lookout over Fleet any day!!!
-Don

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Actually, you just have to take that film in the context of the comedy it was written to be. Everyone figured there would not be many icebergs off the coast of Florida, where that scene is supposed to be, or near the Hotel Del Coronado, in the San Diego area, where those scenes were shot ("Some Like It Hot" is the most famous movie where the Hotel Del Coronado was used for filming).

You especially get to note the comic aspect of that film when you watch Jack Lemmon and Joe E. Brown cap it off with the hilarious scene where Jack, as Gerry disguised as "Daphne", is explaing to Joe E.'s Oswald why they can't get married:
Gerry/Daphne: "I can't wear your mother's wedding dress; we're not similarly shaped";
Oswald: "We can have it altered";
Gerry/Daphne: "I smoke!! Terribly!!"
Oswald: "Doesn't matter".
Gerry/Daphne: "I have a terrible past. I lived with a saxophone player for several years".
Oswald: "I forgive you".
Gerry/Daphne: "I can never have children"
Oswald: "We can adopt".
Gerry/Daphne: "No, you don't understand!! Oh...(pulls off his wig) I'm a man!!"
Oswald: "So, nobody's perfect".

Jack Lemmon's reaction/expression is a classic.

The film was one of Jack's favorites.

Now, back to the Titanic....

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
quote:

The film was one of Jack's favorites.

Yes, we all know that Leo's prone to a bit of cross-dressing...
Well that would be something to see. Heck, we can do a mini-TITANIC reunion, that way: A remake of "Some Like It Hot", with Leo DiCaprio and Billy Zane playing the characters of Jerry and Joe; imagine them recreating the train station scene, when they're first seen in drag.
Kate Winslett would not work out as "Sugar"; perhaps Emmy Rossum, while either Kate or Frances Fisher could be "Sweet Sue".
I'd volunteer for such an assignment, as long as I get to be Detective Mulligan (played by Pat O'Brien), and his closing quotation (one of the other Listmembers could be "Little Bonaparte", Nehemiah Persoff's role):
Mulligan: What happened here?
Little Bonaparte: [referring to Spats and his thugs] There was something in that cake that didn't agree with them.
Mulligan: My compliments to the chef. Nobody leaves this room until I get the recipe.
Little Bonaparte: You wanna make a federal case of it?
Mulligan: [grabs the speaker of Little Bonaparte's hearing aid] Yeah!

We could do this as an alternative to a TITANIC remake, with Inger as "Sweet Sue", me as Detective Mulligan, and maybe Jason, Alex, and Tarn working out who plays Joe, Jerry, and Osgood.

It's either that or "Some Like It Hot" meets "Titanic":
LEO: I'm Jacqueline
BILLY: And I'm DAPHNE!!

Now I'll have to bring Some Like It Hot" with me to Toronto, next week.

In the meantime, back to TITANIC​

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Now where's the fun in that?<<

Let's see...collisions with hard objects, floodings, evacuations, screaming, sinking, thrashing about in freezing water and other "fun" things.That's entertainment!
evil.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
quote:

But there's hardly any slapstick cross-dressing, is there, Michael?
No fun.
Actually, if we could get Leonardo DiCaprio and Billy Zane to be seen wearing the same types of outfits, including the hats, stockings and high heels, that Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis wore for "Some Like It Hot", that could definitely make for classic viewing.
smile.gif
grin.gif

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Ryan, even with a sober professional (or two) on lookout the ship still clobbered an iceberg and sank...so, yes, I would also vote for the coked-up blonde.

Things couldn't turn out any worse than they did, could they?

Aug 15, 2005
Darwen, United Kingdom
Things couldn't turn out any worse than they did, could they?

Hast thou ne'er exchanged words with a cokey?
Things could have been worse - particularly if one manned the falls at the davits...

"We can get this done a lot faster if we just let go of the rope..."

They don't call these things dope for nothin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.