Songe db Automne or Near My God to Thee

G

Garry James

Am new to the Message Board so please excuse me if I am covering something that's already been dealt with.
Anyway, just re-listening to my c. 1911-12 Pathe record of Songe d' Automne" played by the "Imperial Infantry Band." It's listed as a "Waltz" on the label, and is actually quite sweet and comforting. I have to admit, that it would have been a good choice for the last tune played by the band--especially when many of the passengers probably danced to it at one time or another and probably had good feelings about it. "Nearer My God to Thee", in whatever version, would certainly leave no doubt in one's mind what was coming up. Sad thing is,of course, we'll never really know for sure.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Hallo, Garry, just to give you a heads up, I moved this topic to the General Folder where it's a bit more appropriate. Regarding what tune that was played at the end, I think you're right that this will remain forever unknown and a source of some controversy. Hell, the witnesses themselves couldn't agree and they were there. I don't know how we can do much better.