SOS Titanic (1979)

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Probably been about a decade since I last saw it so I may need to watch it again to refresh my memory. Didn't hate it but also wasn't particularly fond of it either, not least because the picture quality of the film I saw was absolutely horrid. Struggled to make out what was going on in some scenes at all, especially outside views of the ship in the dark....

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
Was this the movie that used Queen Mary for Titanic? If so, then I haven't seen it since I was 12 and I only recall being pissed since certainly everyone would notice the ship was the a Queen Mary.

The older I get though, the more I realize how untrue that thought is, as well as the enomority of my nerdness.

Jan 6, 2005
Iowa, USA
I saw SOS Titanic when it was first shown; haven't seen it since. The one thing I remember about it goes to show that enlightenment can come from any source. In it, one passenger gets crushed by a runaway piano when the ship's angle during the sinking causes it to break loose.

That may not actually have happened; large equipment on ships is often bolted down. But it made me realize that many of Titanic's passengers and crew never got the chance to drown; there were many things that could have caused horrible deaths for the souls aboard.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Scott: Lots of good roles for inanimate objects in SOST. The role of RMS Titanic was too important for any one object, so it went to two - the Queen Mary (as you recalled) and the tiny Manxman, which was moonlighting from its day job as the Isle of Man ferry. The Producers were so impressed by the Manxman's performance as the Titanic that it was cast also as the Carpathia. But in one sense the biggest part went to the Isle of Man itself, which was cast in the demanding role of Ireland.

Jan 6, 2005
Iowa, USA
Good Lord, Bob.

That's not even Max Bialystock - that's Ed Wood. Only someone truly deluded could see that as Titanic.

However, Manxman seems to have been a very handsome ship in her own right.

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
I liked the Beesley story line in this.

I could never figure out why they gave JJ Astor a beard and made him appear about ten years older than what he actually was.

The Queen Mary set was obvious, but it shouldn't matter to a general audience that isn't all that familiar with how the Titanic's deck should look.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
And what a beard! Somebody in one of our archived threads refers to the SOST Astor as 'the wolfman'. But despite the wolfman and the manxman I remember SOST as one of the better Titanic dramas. And it was good to see the 2nd Class getting some coverage.

I haven't seen this film for many years, so I'm guessing that the Manxman provided only partial views for close-up scenes when it was playing the Titanic rather than the Carpathia. And yes indeed, Sandy, the Manxman was small but perfectly formed. Up until a couple of years ago there were still hopes that this little beauty might be saved from the breaker's yard, but sadly economics stood in the way. Here she is awaiting the cutting torches (and looking even smaller, like a neglected toy):
http://maritimematters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/manxman_tomphillipFeb2010.jpg

manxman_tomphillipFeb2010.jpg

An interesting aside is that these small ships were registered to carry well over 2,000 passengers and the waters of the Irish Sea aren't the calmest (or the warmest) in the world. So the Manxman couldn't compete with the Titanic for size but it was quite big enough to play a potential starring role in a real disaster of equal proportions.

Evgueni

Mar 21, 2012
Denver, Colorado, United States
Ah, yes! The film got me interested in Titanic in the first place! Re-watching it again is a bittersweet experience. It brings up the memories of my youth and innocence regarding all things Titanic, but it DID NOT age well!

Scott Mills

Jul 10, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
I liked the Beesley story line in this.

I could never figure out why they gave JJ Astor a beard and made him appear about ten years older than what he actually was.

The Queen Mary set was obvious, but it shouldn't matter to a general audience that isn't all that familiar with how the Titanic's deck should look.
Tracy, this is my point! At 12 years old I didn't understand this, and believed that everyone would know that she was the Queen Mary and not the Titanic! This betrays two things: my own nerdiness (sorry guys) and my immature thought that a Titanic film with a ship obviously not Titanic as a set could not be worthwhile.

I'm not try to say that the fact they used Queen Mary in the filming should, in any way, be held against the film/mini-series. I've got 23 years in since I was 12, and I see things a tad (and just a tad) more clearly now. :D

Best,

Scott

robert warren

Feb 19, 2016
This was my first Titanic movie and it will always hold a place in my heart.Evgueni summed it up perfectly,the innocence of those childhood Titanic days-those pre discovery Titanic days will never be forgotten. This movie was unique in the fact that the beginning showed the survivors boarding the Carpathia and the story took off in a flashback form.This was cut out when released on video.This was the first Titanic movie to be shown in color,and the first where 2nd class passengers had a more prominent role.Also those post sinking scenes knock me out. I would love to know where they filmed these because those are real icebergs those boats are rowing through.This movie gets some bad reviews simply because too much was cut out when released to video.When it premired in Sept.1979 it was a two part miniseries.The video chopped it down to 95 minutes! As a result the movie ends up being choppy with subplots that aren't quite explained.Such is the case when any movie of great length is treated in such a sloppy manner.I keep hoping one day they will release the full version the way it was meant to be seen.Maybe then it will get some more respect.