SOS Titanic DVD, Online, etc.

Mar 17, 2006
Thank you very much!
NOTE: This is the extended/un-cut version, and it was very much worth to have watched it (I watched it yesterday).
Also, it's way better, than "Titanic" (1997). ;)

Feb 25, 2007
This version have Rene Harris falling down the stairs.
I love this movie. It´s more mature, have more class, everybody seems whisper. The image sparkles and the characters are so charismatics.

The only problem is that the ship doesn´t look like the real Titanic.

M

Matthew Bird

Just saw this, i liked how people were portrayed, more understanding of Ismay, and i found Molly Brown amusing and Countess of Rothes well..... sexy. Granted neither seem accurate- Molly Brown was married.

And for once the crew were'nt trying to keep all Third class passengers below!

Beesly and his girl did get tiresome at times, with their ultra polite speak for '' i want to sleep with you etc''.

M

Matthew Bird

I wonder if the fictional Leigh was named for the Goodwin family.

I thought the 3rd class stewardess (matron?) would die and the younger one who talked with Andrews would survive.

Feb 4, 2007
Denver, Colorado, United States
Hi Matthew, the younger stewardess who talked to Andrews DID survive. She later went on to become "The Queen" of England in 2006.
proud.gif

I didn't care for the whole Lawrence Beesley and Leigh Goodwin thing. While I watched, I spoke over them with my own commentary on what they were really saying. I won't repeat it here. I also found Beesley's "deep" thoughts about class division a total yawn.
yawn.gif

I loved (not really) the scene when Ismay gets into a lifeboat. As if everyone around him, including Captain Smith, would have minutes on end to simply stare at him with wide-eyed fascination. They certainly made him out to be a villain and no mistake.

Oh yeah, and when Madeline Astor kept making degrading comments about her own looks, I think she should have kept going - to the extent of convulsing herself into a uncontrollable fit of demonic possession and throwing herself bodily into a boiler. Hey, it certainly would have brought some 'spark' into that drawn-out, Turkish Bath Island of Lesbos scene.

May 27, 2007
Hellen Mirren was the young stewardess in S.O.S. Titanic? Of course she was also Caligula's wife Caesonia in Caligula 1979 with Malcolm McDowell as Emperor Gaius Germanicus Caesar (Caligula). Great Movie! Now she's known as the Queen Of England. All hail Helen Mirren, Actress extraordinaire.

M

Matthew Bird

Just saw it for a second time, i was wondering if people hadn't mistaken the stewardess in the boat for the one from steerage, but no!. We dont see her getting out of the boat so.... How could the editors and director have missed that!.

Also just before we see her in the smoking room for the last time, we see a wide shot of the ship, the angle it is at would seem to prevent her from strolling around inside the ship and calmly talking to Andrews, to say nothing of getting up top again.

Nov 26, 2005
>>Hey, it certainly would have brought some 'spark' into that drawn-out, Turkish Bath Island of Lesbos scene.<<

I liked that scene. And not for the lesbos but more the music of the scene and the way it was filmed. I found it very interesting and semi-artistic.

I was confused on the same thing Matthew B. was. I don't see how that stewardess was able to get from lifeboat no. 1 (I think) all the way to the back of the ship and down to the smoking room where Andrews was, and then somehow make it back to safety. I enjoyed the final scene Sloan and Andrews, but she must have had the Enterprise beaming her from one spot on that ship to the other in the last 10 minutes of the sinking.

I think this (the extended edition) goes down as my favorite Titanic movie, next to A Night to Remember. It's a very moody film and the music does a lot to drive home the emotion and the mood.

That was Helen Mirren. She can do anything...

Putting Arthur to sleep and man-raping him in Excalibur. Onscreen bloody childbirth in Caligula. Making the Queen of England seem like she has a soul in The Queen. And teleporting herself to wherever she wants in SOS Titanic.

Agreed about the complete version of SOS Titanic. The edited one is pretty disjointed. But the complete version is what Cameron's should have been. Character-rich, having a message and definitely story to tell, staying even-keeled rather than descending into fake emotion...

Think of SOS Titanic with historical inaccuracies fixed (we're hoping the sinking date was a typo) filmed on the same sets and with the same production values as Cameron. Oof.

Oct 17, 2006
To really appreciate the film, the extra scenes needs to be put back in. I was lucky to record the extended cable edition many years ago and the full film is a lot better than the edited version currently available.

Oct 17, 2006
I dont remember exactly when I recorded the extended cable edition with the extra footage, but I think it likely would have been sometime in the early 90s as I dont have many VHS tapes from the 80s and I know it definitely wasnt then. So I would say I recorded the extended cable edition back in the 90s. It only ever aired once for some reason and as it was a film I had only read about, I was curious to see the film. Overall, the extra footage definitely makes the film much more realistic and interesting.

May 2, 2016
Chippewa Falls,WI U>S.A.
S.O.S. Titanic On Dvd

I see this movie was released on dvd region by studio canal and picture wise from what I have seen looks really good but I don't have any idea if this is the cut version or not..I'm surprised the full version wasn't released yet...with all of the famous actors and actresses I don't understand why no release ?? I member seeing this movie very briefly and id love to sit and watch it again..

Aug 31, 2015
S.O.S Titanic (1979)

Hi, I long time search this movie online, free without registration, but I'm unable to find it. Could anyone help?

Dan Kappes

Sep 26, 2018
Apple Valley, Minnesota, United States
As far as I know, only the shorter version which was released theatrically in Europe has been released on DVD in the past 10-15 years.

I wonder if Criterion or Kino could make a special release of it like they did the 43 film and A Night to Remember.

mike&ike

Oct 18, 2019
Texas
Does anyone have a copy of the full movie version of SOS Titanic they can post? From previous posts it looks like someone was able to provide a link. Your help would be much appreciated.