Sound Files Steam Sirens Steam Whistles Voicings

B

Brian Tourville

I contacted the British Library - Sound Files Division - they do not have the Sound Files for
the Steam Sirens / Steam Whistles / Horn - Digital Recordings of the TiTanics' Voices available.

I advised them I would address this Topic & assist them in obtaining these Historic Sounds for their Sound File Catalogue.

These actual Digital Recordings would be easily distributed to all interested via the Internet once they were Recorded Correctly .

These 'Soundings' could be conducted - as they once were for various Signals during the course of a Sailing - to display all events involving the Steam Sirens / Whistles / Horn of the TiTanic.

Anyone here with Contacts Available interested in this undertaking ?

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Brian,

Back in June 2000 I downloaded two sound files (as .wav files) from the internet which were recordings of Titanic's whistles. I seem to remember that this was quite an event at the time; a set of whistles, recently raised from the wreck were briefly powered by air compressors.

Is this the sort of thing you were talking about? I have no idea if the recordings are still available on the 'net and/or are copywrited.

B

Brian Tourville

Hi! Yes! Do you still have the URL of the site or something to go on ?

If possible - you can use a ZIP file to forward these to me . Either you or myself can get these to the British Library - Sound File Division. I'd be interested who recorded these as well.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Reach me here :

Brian Tourville

new paltz, new york 12561

Tel : 845-255-5322 Email : [email protected]

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Brian,

I've sent you an email re your post. As to who originally recorded the whistles, I think it was RMS Titanic Inc, but it might have been another organisation such as Subsea Explorer. I honestly can't remember now.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Brian, just type 'Titanic whistles' into a search engine like www.google.com, you'll find lots of links to the sound files. There was a lot of argument on here a while back though as to whether or not the whistles were producing the exact same tone as they used to, but it's still 'goosebumps' time when you hear them!

B

Brian Tourville

Thanks Mike !

I was using Titanic steam sirens in Google.com - didn't raise anything !

Did the Movie 'TITANIC' use the Original whistles for the Sound Track ?

Paul Rogers sent me a Zip.file containing what appears to be the first public sounding - might be Titanic Inc. doing the 'revival' performance.

I truncated the file a bit & now use it on my Pop Up Cop to alert me as to the finding and destruction of Pop Up Windows on my browser - works Great !

Thanks again -

Brian Tourville

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Brian, I'm no expert but the film whistles definitely sound way different to the real ones as sounded by RMS T.Inc to me.

B

Brian Tourville

Yes - to my ear they were higher - proper PSI usage would do it - Titanic Inc. ran compressed air at a lower PSI - .....too bad !

Brien.

Jan 29, 2001
Brian:

The purpose of running the compressed air thru the whistles, was to preserve the structural integrity which remained upon conservation which surmounted in 1994. As it was an four-year endeavor.

Mike B., No kidding about those goosebumps. Mine accompanied with tears when I first heard them (Via Peter Jennings, World News Tonight segment: "A blast from the past")

It was befitting...a faint, haunting, even sorrowful sound. A sort of cry from a liner lost nearly a century ago...

Michael A. Cundiff
USA

B

Brian Tourville

They ran compressed air and at a lower PSI than the Steam Whistles were designed for. This gave the sounding at a lower 'Note' than the 'Standard Tuning' . What this did give you is a clearer 'Picture' of the 'Throatey-ness' and Overtone Series of the Structure itself. I for one would still like to obtain a Wav-file of these Steam Whistles running at the correct PSI - and perhaps a little steam thrown in to 'Wet the Whistle' .

My question as to what was used for these sounds in the Movie 'TITANIC' remains unanswered .

Brien.

Feb 14, 2011
When i worked at the Titanic exhibit in St Paul, we sounded the whitsles right outsdie the steps of the Union Depot, where the exhibit was held-

They were first tested at Kahlen brothers Whistles factory in 2 River WI- the whistles were sounded 4 times...i pulled the lever once to give the whistles a blast, and my goodness, even with earplugs it was deafening......

Someone called RMSTI and held a cellphone near the whistles as they blew...

The public sounding in St. paul was nice, the largest turnout in St Paul in nearly a century....

A cd recording of the sounding was played at the exhibit every half hour. Beleive you me, i wish I had made myself a dub, but it wasnt meant to be I guess....

.Ah, those were the days..

I nearlly got a hernia lifting those whistles about...

There are arictles about this adventure in Titanic Internationals's journal Voyage, issues 30 and 31.

Tarn Stephanos