Southampton 12th13th April 2008

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Following this year's success, there will be a repeat of the Southampton anniversary events next year, with some discussion of the wreck and a talk by someone who has seen it. Its on 12th/13th April, so now the BTS have no excuse for not sending flowers.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
The memorial service will take place at the Titanic's berth in the docks, not at the Engineers Memorial.

Paul

May 28, 2001
I would like to know whose your informative is Paul?

Nothing officially has been confirmed yet, as things with Southampton City Council usually have a strange habit of changing venues from place to the other..

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
'...the BTS [should] have no excuse for not sending flowers...'

The BTS should not need prompting to do something it has always done automatically in the past. Too little, too late. I guess organising their Halifax trip took priority. I won't be renewing my membership next spring.

May 28, 2001
Paul--take my advise, don't reply on your source down in Southampton. Wait until next year when all confirmations are clear and sound.

Here here John, couldn't agree with you more. Got a letter from them last week urging me to renew my membership. They must be desperate. The answer is "no deal", the damage is done.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Andrew, my "source" is David Dilnot, the Soton City Councellor who is actually organising the event next year! If anyone knows, he will! He said he keep checking back on titaniccities website as more details become available.

John Creamer

Nov 7, 2003
I know there’s going to be another maritime market over the 96th anniversary weekend, as I think last April’s one was a success.

Andrew — I still have the original application form from the BTS where it states, ‘The society is completely independent of any commercial interests.’

The officers have sadly broken the above rule by associating the society with profit-making enterprises - so is it any wonder the 95th anniversary commemorations at the Engineers Memorial was overlooked in favour of flogging tickets to Halifax? If the BTS cannot produce a floral tribute at the Titanic’s homeport on such an important occasion, then what’s the point of them doing so on the 96th anniversary? I wish the officers had been present at Mayor’s Titanic Commemorative service in Southampton, if just to see the embarrassment and disgust on BTS members’ faces.

May 28, 2001
>>>>I wish the officers had been present at Mayor's Titanic Commemorative service in Southampton, if just to see the embarrassment and disgust on BTS members faces.<<<<

Couldn't word it better than myself John, and please no offence, but trace your memory back to that event. Not only were we all full of embarrassment, but the bulk of us felt like a row of ship window dummies as we didn't have an answer to give to any of the representatives. On a personal note, the whole bloody thing stinks to high heaven.

A SPECIAL MESSAGE TO THE OFFICERS OF THE BRITISH TITANIC SOCIETY -- SHAME ON YOU.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
quote:

Please note that Millvina Dean's talk at the Turner Sims Concert Hall has had to be cancelled due to ill health.

"No surprise, there".
I personally think that Millvina Dean will not be giving any more presentations or talks, due to her age and health.

Now is the time for all of us to concentrate on presenting the Titanic's story from our historical perspective, from what we learned from research done in the past.

Millvina Dean will not be around much longer (she is 96 years old), and she does not have the direct memory of the event, like Ruth Becker or Eva Hart would have had.

We must now "take charge" of keeping Titanic's legacy intact, reminding people of what it was like for the people on the ship, and what it transpired for us, even today (like when Ruth Becker commented, during a lifejacket drill, "We never did this on the Titanic!!").​