Southampton on 11 November 2008

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Toronto Star:

Fabled cruise ship QE2 sails into history
quote:

LONDON—Undaunted — and, apparently, undented — the glittering luxury liner Queen Elizabeth II survived a close call with a sandbank yesterday, adding one final treacherous twist to a remarkably storied career as it said goodbye to Britain forever.
Story with vidio at http://www.thestar.com/News/World/article/535235

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I sure hope that she sailed out of Southampton significantly lighter than when she sailed in. Does anyone yet know if any artifacts were unloaded in Southampton?

E

Ellen Grace Butland

At least she has a good send-off, but I suspect that was more due to Ports of Southampton than to Cunard's owners. I could be controversial in saying that they have sold QE2 to a third party rather than bear the odium of many if they sold her for scrap. To me, she is the last true Cunarder. QM2 and QV will have to prove their worth (to me at least)

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
I did read elsewhere that there is a lot of asbestos on board and a refit to current standards would not be practicable in an ageing Liner. We are not always aware of all the facts when we level criticisms. I suppose the same applies to her being stripped out when she is in Dubai. It's got to be done whether it is popular or not.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Wouldn't it be a riot is she sailed into Dubai with the Star of David flying.<<

Uhhhhhhhh..yeah, but I don't think the sort of riot which would happen would be much of a laughing matter. Even in the most "progressive" states, the animosities run deep.

Regarding the asbestos issue, I don't know what the local authorities plan to do about it, but if it's there, don't be too surprised if you see a lot of bagged material being taken off and trucked off to some dump somewhere. An understandable reaction, but it may not be such a swift idea. The best thing to do with asbestos if it's sealed up...say with multiple coats of paint...so that nothing gets loose is to leave it alone.

E

Ellen Grace Butland

And leave other things the way they are, but we must face facts here, she will have new owners in less than a fortnight from now. Lets hope we are somewhat pleasantly surprised with what they do with her. At least I comfort myself that she has not been sold for scrapping, I think I can symphasise with the Tyne shipworkers when they saw the Mauretania for the last time.