Southampton Titanic Weekend 1315 April 2007

S

stephen booth

hello all , just joined and trust the membership would like to know that Southampton city council is planning a Titanic themed weekend over the course of the comemoration weekend in Southampton next year (2007) , events pencilled in as follows friday 13 large exhibition in the novatel of Titanic and assosiated memorabillia being put on by White Star Memories , includes original Olympic material and White Star items with good Cameron movie material as well as large and extensive information boards this runs all through the Friday and the Saturday,welcome reception in the evening for delagates with an evening lecture explaining the social impact of Titanic`s loss on the city ,Saturday sees themed Titanic walks around the city Titanic sites by Blue Badge guides employed by the city and a large Maritime collectors street market right in the city centre , also 3 guest speakers will be giving 45 minute lectures on the Saturday in the novatel hotel ,in the evening a formal dinner in one of the city`s top restaurants and on the Sunday a memorial service for those passengers and crew lost in the tragic disaster at the Titanic engineers memorial site , also planned are bus tours of Southampton docks and a mini cruise aboard a local steamship , all the best to the whole membership , steve.

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally posted to an existing thread in another topic, has been moved here, where it will be easier to find for those interested in attending. MAB]

A

Andrew Williams

Hello Steve,

I never thought for a million years that you would be able to join us. Welcome aboard buddy.

Yeap, count me in. Next years venue should be a good event.

We'll speak later.

A.W.

S

stephen booth

hello andrew , good to hear from you if you need any info re bookings etc i can pass on contact details, see you , steve.

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Stephen, I wish I could attend, but I will probably be in Halifax, at that time.
It sounds, though, like a great event; hope the City of SOuthampton does this every year, from now on. It will make for a great way to mark the 100th anniversary, in 2012.

S

stephen booth

john sorry to have missed you when you listed i have been off on my travels again, as i understand things at the moment the council is looking into the possibility of stageing future events upto and including the 100th aniversary comemmoration in 2012 , plans for 2007 are well advanced and taking shape and individuals who may be willing to give lectures and exhibitors have been approached , the street market is already getting towards the full side with well known artists booksellers and maritime dealers commited to the event, a meeting took place yesterday with site management for the market and all looks good, the blue badge guides for the event will be in place and i believe the citys maritime museum is adjusting its opening times to be more user friendly with visitors to the event having much to cover , so despite some negative comments from an old hand in the southampton area who has been contacted for his views on the event and what he knows about it ( nothing )by many individuals im still very up beat and hope it will be the success the city is looking for , see you steve.

Feb 9, 2006
Errrrrrrggg, I want to go to Southampton so much! I am already nervous about being able to afford 2012, because I will be two years out of college, but I am determined to find a way (as I am determined to be in Flanders or somewhere on Christmas 2014, for a less well-known hundred years event...The World War I Christmas truce)

I hope that a big Southampton thing will happen in 2008, when I am hoping to study in England.

S

stephen booth

lucy thank you for responding , all now appears to be in place with the lecturers booked the exhibitor booked and the street market filling up with traders well, you can never say for sure if all will go to plan when dealing with a local authority as the demands on funds are ever changing , but as i type all looks good , see you steve.

Feb 9, 2006
Reading link...Whoo boy, I never knew the exact count of how many from Southampton were killed...It's really a third? That's stunning.

Good luck with the 95 years memorial. Wish I could be there, but I will most certainly make it to Southampton one of thse days.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
Southampton is certainly a major location, in terms of the Titanic story, and it was undoubtedly the home of many of the ship's crew. I have, nevertheless, often wondered how many of the crew were recent immigrants from Liverpool or other northern ports (as opposed to natives of Hampshire).

The 1861 census shows that Southampton's population at that time was only 46,300, whereas by 1911 the number of inhabitants had increased to 119,012. There had clearly been a major influx of people during the second half of the 19th Century, the increase being due, in great part, to the increasing importance of the docks.

Feb 23, 2007
Hello, I wish I could be there in Southampton for this. It sounds great. Unfortunately I live across the pond so to speak but I hope to get to England sometime. My Grandfather was from Stroud and told me of the train trip to Southampton to with his family to board the Titanic. His name was Frank J.W. Goldsmith. Have fun and think of me when you lift a pint cheers. Tom

Feb 23, 2007
One more thing since someone might know over there. There was a fireman from the Titanic who befriended my Grandfather and his mother and I have always wondered about him and his family. His name was Sam Collins. If anyone knows anything I would appreciate the info. Thanks

Apr 27, 2003
Thomas - About all I can add is the following:
COLLINS SAMUEL. Saved in Lifeboat number 1. Lived at the Sailors Home, Oxford Street, St Marys, Southampton. Occupation - Fireman. 35 years old. (Born in Ramsgate), Kent. Ship before the Titanic was the SS Highland Laddie.
On 15 April 1939 Collins, together with Elizabeth Mellinger, Madeleine Mann (née Mellinger) and Emma Bliss met for a Titanic reunion dinner at the Royal York Hotel, Toronto.
Cheers Brian - Southampton UK

A

Andrew Williams

A word of advice. If some of you are planning to attend, then I strongly recommend that you book and pay for your ticket as soon as possible.

A.W.