Spanish Passengers

Jun 8, 2003
Hey all,
After reading the thread about people being related to Passengers on the Titanic, it got me to thinking that there were NO passengers by the name of Fernandez' on the Titanic and yet it's the most common spanish surname. So i was wondering were there many Spanish Passengers on board Titanic?

A

Aniceto Gómez

There were 9/10 Spanish passengers aboard the Titanic:

- Victor Peñasco y Castellana. He belonged to one of the most rich families in Spain. He died in the sinking

- Maria Josefa Perez de Soto y Vallejo Peñasco y Castellana

- Fermina Oliva y Ocaña ( She was the Peñasco´s maid )

- Servando Jose Florentino Ovies y Rodriguez (aSpanish businessman with business in Spain, NY and Cuba. He died in the sinking )

- Julian Padrón Manent. Chauffeur. Lately He married Florentina Duran y Moré, another survivor

- Florentina Duran y Moré

- Asunción Duran y Moré. ( She worked as a maid )

- Encarnación Reynaldo. Very few information about her. Some people think she was form Marbella, some others form Canary Islands etc. She moved to Argentina after the sinking.

- Javier Mouros/Jean Monoros ( I supposed he changed his name in order to suit to his job as a member of a french restaurant "à la carte restaurant"). He died in the sinking

- * Emilio Pallás y Castelló. According to Encyclopedia Titanica and to Wikipedia He was an american citizen but some articles and newspaper described him as spanish. Also there are some statement in Spanish about the sinking that He made when got Havana, his final destination.

Maybe there were more spanish in the Titanic because nobody knows the exactcly number of passengers but this is something that we´ll never know.

A

Aniceto Gómez

I mean the stowaways, maybe some of them ( if there were) were Spanish, who knows? Or was there any list or data about the stowaways aboard the Titanic? If there was one I would be pleased of following the link to it.

Sorry for my bad English.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
What stowaways? As far as I know, none have ever been documented. There's been some speculation there but nothing solid in the way of proof. I'll grant that it was a problem, but stowaways had a habit of being found out very quickly as sooner or later, they had to find something to eat.

A

Aniceto Gómez

Ok, but as you have said "none have ever been documented" so maybe there were stowaways on the ship and some of them could be Spanishs, or French or British or from any other nationality.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Ok, but as you have said "none have ever been documented"<<

Quite right. I did.

And there are two possible reasons for this. One being that they were never found out. (Unlikely but possible.) The other being that they weren't there to begin with. As I indicated, stowaways had a tendency to be found out very quickly for the reasons I mentioned above. I'm open to the possibility that some may have been knocking about, but I'd like to see some solid evidence to back it up.

Therein lies the problem. There isn't any.