Specifics of the Breakup

Lyle

Sep 2, 2001
My suspicions for the spark show was a jet of air in an intact boiler room forced out after a bulkhead failure. Easiest point of escape was the firebox full of still smoldering embers!

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
My suspicions for the spark show was a jet of air in an intact boiler room forced out after a bulkhead failure. Easiest point of escape was the firebox full of still smoldering embers!

Maybe it was a combination of the gyrating metal and air belching out. If the breakup was a messy occurrence under the third funnel (where boilers directly underneath had just been supplying electricity), it must’ve been a firey, smokey mess, no? Correct me if I’m wrong but the boilers near the aft section were still perfectly lit for lights.

Reactions: 1 user

Lyle

Sep 2, 2001
Maybe it was a combination of the gyrating metal and air belching out. If the breakup was a messy occurrence under the third funnel (where boilers directly underneath had just been supplying electricity), it must’ve been a firey, smokey mess, no? Correct me if I’m wrong but the boilers near the aft section were still perfectly lit for lights.
Absolutely correct about the aft boilers still working, but I don't remember when the stokers were ordered by Bell to abandon ship, or if the order ever came. Imagine shoveling coal with the ship tilting ever more and more until the fracture.

Now I'm going to have to watch Saving Titanic again...

Jul 4, 2021
Skegness
The V-break is a concept I find infuriating and fascinating. I know many hate it, because it looks inelegant, silly even, dispelling what people think they know about the final moments. I know especially, the visuals promulgated by Aaron1912 caused controversy, and the subject certainly got many threads on this forum locked.

My curiosity is, is there evidence at all on the wreck to show evidence for a V-motion?

Based on what I recall on the specifics of Aaron1912's evidence there's some points I agree and disagree with.

I think it's possible there may have been twisting forces contributing to the break. I wonder if the shifting of the list from port to even keel shown in recent real times caused a strain amidship where the stern wanted to go one way and the bow wanted to go another.

I believe too it's unlikely the ship's flooding would have happened so uniformly as films would have you believe - where a section of the ship shown underwater is taken as a checkpoint of no return, lost to the abyss. The flooding may had been much more uneven and unorganized. Law of physics still apply. Water can't defy gravity, but I think it's certainly possible areas of the ship were more securely watertight until the very end.

I don't believe the pitch often shown in V-break animations was so extreme, with the prow breaching out like a whale, and the entire bow superstructure exposed with the waterline down to the well deck. I don't recall any survivor describing this phenomenon saying this happened. I understand the water was to the well deck when Collapsible C was lowered, and later, when the bridge plunged, Lightoller noted the waterline was to the crow's nest.

I don't believe cabins acted like air-pockets giving the ship enough buoyancy to behave like that. The first class cabin walls were made of a pine I doubt was particularly strong, nor watertight. I imagine those dividing walls would have collapsed fairly easily under hydraulic forces. Also, if the well and forecastle were awash before the break up, I imagine water would have quickly succeeded the openings in doors, canvas covered hatches etc.

I doubt the ship broke apart acting like two pointy chop-sticks pointed away to the skies, could a V-motion occured under the surface or just barely at?
The 2006 break up theory showed a V bend but the bow never rose out of the water.

If a V break did happen the bow should've imploded like the stern due to escaping air, but looking the bow wreck there isn't any implosion damage at all.

If you read the book On A Sea Of Glass they say the boat deck recovered momentarily after the ship returned from a port list to an even keel, if you were swimming away from the port side in a boat near the port side it would look like the bow rose out of the water but in reverse not a V break.