Specifics On Ships In the Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 12, 1999
I was just looking at the list of ships that were or may have been in the area of the Titanic on April 14/15. I started wondering about what the specifics of each ship were (tonnage, top speed, etc.). If anyone here can help me with these details I would very much appreciate it.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Virginian was in the vicinity. [Edited to remove Copyrighted information]
Hope this Helps!
All Ahead Full!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
There was a Virginian in the vicinity, but not that one. "Scrapped in Italy in 1910" is a good clue that it wasn't seen in the vicinity of the Titanic in 1912. To find the correct details, search with keywords: Virginian Allan Line

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
The Virginian was built in 1905 and weighed 10,757 tons. In 1917 she was transferred to Canadian Pacific and in 1920 was sold to the Swedish American Line and renamed Drottningholm. She was a one funneled ship.
Once again I apologize for the mistake. I blame it on my database! lol
All Ahead Full!

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
I believe the Parisian was nearby also ( I may be mistaken though):[edited to remove copyrighted information]

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
As I was saying...
Carpathia was owned by the Cunard Steamship Company and was registered in Liverpool, England. She was built by Swan and Hunter of Wallsend-on-Tyne, England and was 540 ft in length and had a 64.5 ft breadth. The Carpathia had a gross tonnage of 13,555 and one funnel, four masts and a top speed of 14 knots.
She was launched on August 6, 1902 and started service on May 5, 1903. Carpathia was torpedoed three times on July 17, 1918 when sailing in a convoy to Boston. Five crew members lost their lives.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
The Baltic was also nearby. It was owned by the White Star Line also, was registered in Liverpool, and was built by Harland and Wolff. She had two funnels and four masts. She was built in yard 352 and weighed 23,884 gross tons. The Baltic was 726 feet long and had a breadth of 75.5 ft, had quadruple expansion engines, and twin screws which could power the ship up to 17 knots. She also had a steel hull, four decks plus a shelter deck, and 425 first class passengers, 450 second class passengers, and 2,000 steerage. She had a crew of 560.
The Baltic was launched on November 21, 1903 after having an additional 20 ft added on to her hull which added 2,840 gross tons onto her overall tonnage. When she was delivered on June 23, 1904, she was a little slow but was the largest ship in the world until 1905.
She began her maiden voyage on June 29th and was used throughout the war to transport troops. In 1924, whe was re-boilered.
On September 17, 1932, she made her last voyage from Liverpool to New York and in October she was laid up, becoming sold in January of 1933 and sailing from Liverpool to Osaka, Japan to go under the hammer on February 17, 1933.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
The Olympic was sailing also. At 11:50 PM she heard Titanic send out distress calls but wasn't sure if it was actually the Titanic that was the one sending them. At 11:00, she answered the Titanic's call and Titanic gave her its position, roughly 505 miles away.
The Olympic was of course owned by the White Star Line and was built by Harland and Wolff. She was 852.5 ft in length and had a breadth of 92.5 ft. She also had a gross tonnage of 45,342, four funnels, and two masts. Her top speed was 21 knots. She was launched on October 20, 1910 and began her maiden voyage June 14, 1911. The Olympic was scrapped in September of 1935.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
I believe the Parisian was in the area also.
The Parisian was owned by the Allan Line and had one funnel and four masts.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
The Mount Temple was also int he vicinity.
The Mount Temple was owned by the Canadian Pacific Steamship Company and had one funnel and four masts. She was built in 1901 and in 1903, the Beaver Company bought her. She was 8,790 gross tons. The Mount Temple sank on Wednesday, December 6, 1916 by the Moewe, a German ship. At 300 meters apart, the officers on the Moewe saw the deck gun on the Mount Temple. The crew members on the Mount Temple quickly became nervous and manned the 75 mm aft gun but it was to late. The Moewe had already fired its 150 mm guns and mortally wounded the Mount Temple, sinking it in no time, along with dinosaur fossils, horses, pigs, and much more.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Michael,
These are well known facts and belong to nobody. If you review this message board, everybody quotes facts and statistics without quoting anyone due to the fact that these are widely known and are not the property of any individual.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Shane, I'll warn you once about this and only once...abiding by copyright is a requirement which is spelled out in the rules of this forum and in no way open to debate.

Quoting certain facts and statistics is one thing, copying the material from somebody elses website and pasting it here without attribution, credit to, and permission of the copyright holder...which was what you did in the notes I edited is quite another.

I've already sent you a note on this and you better believe we take copyright very seriously here. If you think it's a light or trivial matter, or if you have some sort of "right" to simply use copyrighted material without attribution, credit, or permission, you're going to be in for one very ugly surprise when you get served with a lawsuit which you will lose.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Kritina,
The Mount Temple was at was in latitude 41º 25' north, longitude 51º 14' west, and was 49 miles to the westward of the Titanic and was west-bound, passing an unknown schooner on her way to the Titanic's position. She was actually very close to the Titanic but could not get to her because of ice that blocked her path. When the Mount Temple did finally arrive, she was too late. The Carpathia was already on location. At the time of the Titanic disaster, the Mount Temple was under the command of Captain Moore and after the call of distress came on their marconi, Moore had the ship turned N65E towards the reported distress position. For ANY information concerning the position the Mount Temple played in the Titanic sinking, please visit this site: www.btinternet.com/~dr_paul_lee/mysteryship.htm (which has a great map of all the positions of the nearby ships. It is actually administered by our very own Paul Lee, whom has done a very excellent job I must say!
All Ahead Full!

Status
Not open for further replies.