Spicer Lovejoy at the break up

A

Alex McLean

Just wondering,
Did James Cameron put Cal's valet Spicer Lovejoy at the point of break up because the actor playing him was David Warner?
Warner played Lawrence Beesly in SOS Titanic several years before hand. As we know, Beesly made it clear in his publication and stories that the ship sank intact. Maybe the shocked look on Warner's face had two meanings, one for the fact the ship he was standing on was breaking up, and two because the person he played in a former movie was incorrect.

Isn't it amazing what you think about when you watch a movie at 3:00am?

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
Unfortunately I don’t think Cameron had that scenario in mind when placing David Warner’s Lovejoy at the break. In the film’s script Lovejoy ends up losing his grip on the rail and falling into the maw - thus causing his demise. It appears Cameron’s intention was simply to find a hideous method of offing one of the movie's villains.

A

Alex McLean

I guess so. Pity we didn't actually see him falling in. Also around the same time, I would like to see the reciprocating engines collapse around all of the men still in that area as the script says.

Just felt a little trivial

M

Mary S. Lynn

I read somewhere that the reason his face looked a bit battered and bloody in that scene was due to a director's cut in which Jack exacts his "revenge" by physical means, which were allowable because Lovejoy's gun was no longer available. It's a real pity, because I still picture David Warner as the beloved Bob Crachit in the Geroge C. Scott version of "Christmas Carol"! Just can't picture poor Bob falling into a cracking crevice!

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Mary, if you watch the film's trailer on the dvd and don't blink you will catch a glimpse of Jack delivering a punch to Lovejoy - the only surviving fragment of that missing scene.

Dec 6, 2000
According to the script (which I don't have handy at the moment), Lovejoy and Jack had a confrontation in the 1st Class Dining Room, after Cal chased Rose & Jack down the stairs. Jack and Rose got away from Lovejoy, and all 3 eventually found their way topside. Where you saw Lovejoy, all beat up.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
The original script went something like this: Cal tells Lovejoy the diamond is his - if he can get it. He catches up with the fleeing couple in the 1st Class dining room, and after a brief exchange of blows Jack delivers a gut punch similar to the one he received from Lovejoy in the Master-at-Arms' office, complete with a similar line 'Compliments of the Chippewa Falls Dawsons'. Jack and Rose then head aft to the kitchens and downstairs, while the battered Lovejoy follows and heads upstairs. The scene was shot but later cut from the production. Maybe we'll see it if/when the Special Edition ever appears.

M

Mary S. Lynn

I know there's been talk of a Special Edition which would include the cut scenes. Is there any update on this? I'm not sure how much richer Cameron may want to get, but this would surely have the money flowing in!

M

Mary S. Lynn

Ah...the plot sickens! Does Lovejoy, knowing that the "Coeur de la Mer" rests in Rose's (Cal's) coat pocket, attack Rose, or go after Jack, (whose 21st-century lingo might have been deleted due to anachronistic concerns)? We await the answer in titillating suspense!

M

Mary S. Lynn

Well, thank goodness...now I can finally sleep well! That's an interesting site, Bob - thanks! I'll have to look through it further...if I can bear hearing "My Heart Will Go OOOOOOOOOON" for two uninterrupted hours.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
No pain, no gain, Mary!
wink.gif

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Take out the scene of Spicer at the breakup, then recut the scene of David Warner as Beesley being rescued in "SOS Titanic" (in the opening of the film where we see him in his lifeboat and he looks back to the camera) and you've got your sequel set: Spicer Strikes Back!
happy.gif

M

Mary S. Lynn

(Grumbling) That eternal "pain" thing again! Two gobs of spittled-down tissue should do the trick! Off to the site....