Split Funnel Uptakes vs Conventional

Oct 31, 2008
Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic, so, a moderator can feel free to move it wherever.

I'm curious: what are the advantages and disadvantages of split funnel uptakes against the traditional big funnel straight up? Are split funnel uptakes still being used? It seems to me that they divide rooms oddly. Then again, so do traditional uptakes. What is currently the method for funnel uptakes? Are such big traditional uptakes as well as split uptakes no longer the preferred method?

Other than Normandie, Majestic, and Leviathan, what other liners have used them? I read in Kohler's "Lido Fleet" that the Leonardo Da Vinci used them, but I don't think the deck plans indicate there being split funnel uptakes. Truth or rumour?

Any insights would be great. I've always been fascinated by how interior design was affected by the funnels. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. - D

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I'm curious: what are the advantages and disadvantages of split funnel uptakes against the traditional big funnel straight up?<<

It makes for a lot more usable open space. It never really caught on and if memory serves, the reason for it was the complexity of the arrangement. From a mechanical standpoint, going straight up is simpler.