SS Aquitania

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Mark

Thanks for the update. So it seems that Cunard would have been better suited, in the long run, to have made Majestic and Berengaria as surplus, and kept Olympic and Mauretania. But of course, it's a fine line they have to walk in terms of revenue as well.

Mark: Is your book Aquitania: The Ship Beautiful still available?

Russell Smith

Jul 23, 2008
According to Mark Chirnside's website, Aquitania:The Ship Beautiful still hasn't been released.

You can subscibe to his mailing list there for updates.

Jan 5, 2001
Thanks for the 'plug,' Russell.
smile.gif
I appreciate your interest, and Grant's.

I was going to wait a few more days before I announced it, but the Aquitania book actually went to the printer's last week. As it is printed and then distributed, copies should begin to show up towards the end of August. On August 1st, I'm going to update my website and upload a very large number of new pages and articles, which will double the site's size. The most important addition, for those awaiting news of the Aquitania book, will be a preview page with interior page shots and other information about the book.

Grant:
quote:

Thanks for the update. So it seems that Cunard would have been better suited, in the long run, to have made Majestic and Berengaria as surplus, and kept Olympic and Mauretania. But of course, it's a fine line they have to walk in terms of revenue as well.

I think the revenue aspect is very important. All in all, I'd say that it would have been better to retain Majestic over Berengaria, beyond 1936...because I don't think Majestic would have had to be withdrawn in 1938 as Berengaria had to be. Having said that, the problem was that Majestic's running costs were higher, even though she was about equally popular at that time.

In Olympic's case, matters were reversed, for it was her running costs that were the lowest of the express ships, but her revenues were only high enough to partially close the deficit.

Best wishes,

Mark.

John DeLoache

Jun 3, 2004
mark, since Aquitania is one of my favorites, I'm looking forward to ordering your new book. I know that she was in bad shape by 1949 but do you know if there were ever any photos taken of her interiors post-war? I would be interested in seeing how the first class smoking room and the lounge fared.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi John,

Good to hear from you. I really appreciate your very kind words, and if you order the book then I hope it lives up to expectations.

I gather that there were quite a few examples of graffiti or scratch marks left over from the war years, although in all fairness I think some £130,000 was spent on furnishings during the 1948 refit. I did find some quotes, such as one which described the first class smoke room as looking as grand as it did back in 1914.

As regards post-war photos, I am afraid that there are not any in the book, aside from external images. The majority of the post-war photos, however, are in colour.

Best wishes,

Mark.

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
Hi John,

The only such photo that I know of appears in the Shipbuilder reprint on page 171, showing the visit of the Canadian High Commissioner to the ship on May 25, 1948. The photo is of the people involved rather than ship's interiors, but the three windows in the background can be matched to the side windows of the Carolean smoking room in other photos taken when the ship was new. Not a lot of details of the room itself show; a few chairs and tables are visible, but what I found interesting was that the 1948 photo showed that the floor was carpeted, whereas the earlier photos showed a hardwood floor.

Best wishes,
Russell

Aug 8, 2007
Canada
Hi again, John. Taking another look at the above mentioned photo, I think that is linoleum on the floor and not carpet. Linoleum would have been relatively new and innovative in 1948, but personally I'd prefer the hardwood!

Russell

Aj8503

Sep 16, 2016
I know that you guys out there talk about the Aquitania a lot but I really don't know to much about it except that it was a 4 stacker and it was a luxury liner. I would be interested to here your stories.

Thanks
Matt
I know this was a post from 13 years ago, but I just came across it after talking to my mum. My grandfather was a Scotsman from Dundee who fought in WWII. After the war he decided to move his family to Canada for better opportunity. He came over on a military plane and my grandmother, mother, and aunt came over 6 months later in 1948. I know this post was in regards to the workings of the ship, but this is the story I chose to share due to its significance in my life.