SS Atlantic The White Star Line's First Disaster at Sea by Greg Cochkanoff and Bob Chaulk

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
According to an email I received from amazon.com this morning, there has been a new book, still in "pre-order" status, written about the wreck of Atlantic in 1873. It's called "S.S. Atlantic: The White Star Line's First Disaster at Sea," and was written by Greg Cochkanoff and Bob Chaulk. Amazon's description of this book appears here.

Sep 13, 2003
Hi all
Received my copy of it last week. Is a soft back book in the style of a number of recent books with lots of interesting pictures and good text. I haven;t checked the detail of the text much yet. There is some detail of the Atlantic before the disaster (I suspect that not that much is known because she was so similar to Oceanic and no one really cared) and plenty about the accident, the aftermath and the current state of the wreck, which is basically concretion. For a White Star line buff like myself , it is a good book. The main author passed away last year so that is very unfortunate. The only annoying item was Amazon sent me a few emails that the book was no longer available and would I like to cancel my order and then the book turns up. Anyway I am very happy with it.

Kindest Regards

Richard Woolcock

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
I received my copy this week and agree with what Richard wrote. This is a well-written, well-researched and wonderfully-illustrated work, by far the best of the various books about Atlantic to date. It will quite likely be seen as the definitive work on the subject for years to come.